INPA install error(s) [Archive] - BMW-Driver.net Forums

: INPA install error(s)

ron_of_orange
15-Nov-2012, 10:49 PM
Revised nov. 20, 2012
This would be my First post here. HI! I've been searching for an answer for over a week. I'm a new victim to the INPA installation procedures. I'm running version 4.4.7.0.
My vehicle is a 1999 E39 528i w/ ODB2 (dash) + ODB1 w/ no pin 15 (under the bonnet)

Purchased the software and cable set from Ebay(UK).http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Diagnostic-USB-Cable-Code-Reader-Interface-Full-Adapter-Set-INPA-SSS-DIS-/120987489499?#Car_Compatibility

I'm using a newly purchased Panasonic Toughbook Model CF-19 MK3. (laptop/tablet). The ODB Cable is a newer cable (blue in color) with a built in FTDI chip (FT232r R USB_uart) added in the connector. (I opened it to make sure it was there). This is a COMM TO USB adapter. (it is not a Vag-Com cable with or without modifications). I did have to add a driver which I downloaded from the FTDI website. Ref: CDM 2.08.24 WHQL Certified.zip

My OS is Win xp Pro, SP2 , 32bit

After visiting several BMW and the VMWARE websites I settled here. Seems to be better informed on this particular subject! Maybe because it's in Ireland /with connections to Europe etc... (and the talent available here):)

The VMWARE software is Product Version 6.0.3 build-80004. This isn't my first adventure on a computer...but being honest, I haven't used VMWARE as a Virtual Machine before. INPA is not running as a VMWARE client.

The Problem, put simply: No communication or "No Black Dots" on the First screen presented after opening the INPA.exe file.

I get the following responses to my input with the cable disconnected from the car...simply connected only to the USB port on my laptop.

The first (window) allows me to select my vehicle via the <F5> key and I can select the sub menu items such as engine, transmission, etc. The results are all the same. A dialog box pops up with an error message "error creating script file". EDIT/ADD see post # 7 (below)

This also creates an error message in the "inpa.err" file. as follows:
c:\INPA\sgdat\radio.ips(455) : I277: can't open file .

The ODB cable lights up (blue) when plugged into either port on the car (DASH or under the bonnet ADS). The results are the same "no communication" .

I modified the "PATH" (environment variables) several times…and the program ODBsetup.exe presents as it should the correct values

Hoping you guys are as good as I think you are...and looking forward to all responses. Thanks in advance,

ron_of_orange

rebel.ranter
16-Nov-2012, 05:15 AM
Did you buy the cable & software as a package?
Is your cable blue or clear or black in colour?
Was the cable marketed as a BMW specific cable or is it an unmodified VAG COM cable?
Did you install any USB to Serial drivers along the way? All those USB cables have a built in USB to serial converter, they are really serial devices.
Is your Windows XP OS a 32 bit or 64 bit system?
Are you trying to run INPA in VMWare? If so why? Normally it is only done for DIS & SSS, or if you are running a newer OS than XP on the machine.

It sounds as if you have a number of problems with your install, the first is actually with the software itself. What IFH error is coming up? The black dots not being there is only one problem that you are not ready to worry about just yet if you're getting script errors & the cannot open file!

Your car is OBD, not ADS, the round 20 pin connector under the bonnet is OBD 1, there's an extra pin in the older ADS protocol but it physically looks the same. Did the 20 pin adapter come with the package or did you buy that separately?
You should use the round connector on your car, the connector in the car will only connect to certain modules, the round one will connect to all modules.

deepsrd
16-Nov-2012, 05:41 PM
This would be my First post here. HI! I've been searching for an answer for over a week. I'm a new victim to the INPA installation procedures. I'm running version 4.4.7.0.
My vehicle is a 1999 E39 528i. Purchased the software from Ebay(UK). I'm using a newly purchased Panasonic Toughbook Model CF-19 MK3. (laptop/tablet). The ODB Cable is a newer cable with a built in FTDI chip added in the connector. (I opened to make sure it was there). This is a COMM TO USB adapter.

My OS is Win xp Pro, SP2

After visting several BMW and the VMWARE websites I settled here. Seems to be better informed on this particular subject! Maybe because it's in Ireland /with connections to Europe etc... (and the talent available here)

The VMWARE software is Product Version 6.0.3 build-80004. This isn't my first adventure on a computer...but being honest, I haven't used VMWARE as a Virtual Machine before.

The Problem, put simply: No communication or "No Black Dots" on the First screen presented after opening the INPA.exe file

The first (window) allows me to select my vehicle via the <F5> key and I can select the sub menu items such as engine, transmission, etc. The results are all the same. A dialog box pops up with an error message "error creating script file".

The ODB cable lights up (blue) when plugged into either port on the car (DASH or under the bonnet ADS). The results are the same "no communication" .

I modified the "PATH" (environment variables) several times.
also, ODBsetup.exe presents as it should.

Hoping you guys are as good as I think you are...and looking forward to all responses. Thanks in advance,

ron_of_orange
1999 E39, 528i

Read here:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7139047

Models that use the K-Line OBD interfaces are:
- E87, E30 E36 E46 E83 and new E90, E34 E39 E53 and older E60 E61, E63 E64, E38 E65 E66, E31 E52, E53, E85 E52, R50 R52 R53

Your cable is FDTI based K-CAN cable, only supported on E39 from 2002 onwards.. Maybe they dont work on 1999 E39?

rebel.ranter
16-Nov-2012, 06:26 PM
The lead he has will work on his car, he must use the adapter & use the round connector under the bonnet for full access to all modules. I know of one e39 M5 on this site that has both the socket in the car & the one under the bonnet. There was a period where they fitted both connector types to the e39.
It sounds like the software is not installed properly at all.

ron_of_orange
20-Nov-2012, 04:39 AM
Read here:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7139047

Models that use the K-Line OBD interfaces are:
- E87, E30 E36 E46 E83 and new E90, E34 E39 E53 and older E60 E61, E63 E64, E38 E65 E66, E31 E52, E53, E85 E52, R50 R52 R53

Your cable is FDTI based K-CAN cable, only supported on E39 from 2002 onwards.. Maybe they dont work on 1999 E39?
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++
I've gone back to by initial post and edited it ..hoping my revisions will shed more light on my problem...Your guess as to whether the FTDI device is compatible for 1999 E39 may need verification...The Ebay seller indicates that my car is included. I did download a driver and all seems OK...but still no communications ..& No Black Dots.

Also, I've just returned from the link to Bimmerfest at http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7139047 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7139047) and I'm happy to report that the No. 1 Software & Hardware choices are the same as what I have currently employed for this effort.

thk's for your response(s)...sorry ON my late returns...I thought I might get an email as a reminder...whoops

ron_of_orange
Mon, 8:36 pm,PDT, editted again Tue 12:25PM PDT

ron_of_orange
20-Nov-2012, 04:43 AM
The lead he has will work on his car, he must use the adapter & use the round connector under the bonnet for full access to all modules. I know of one e39 M5 on this site that has both the socket in the car & the one under the bonnet. There was a period where they fitted both connector types to the e39.
It sounds like the software is not installed properly at all.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I've gone back to by initial post and edited it ..hoping my revisions will shed more light on my problem. I'm running INPA on top of WinXP...not as a VMX.

To your second REPLY posted here, you asked "What IFH error is coming up?" Could you be more specific..on this question? I did see a IFH error early on as part of my efforts, however it hasn't returned.

thk's for your response(s)...sorry on my late returns...I thought I might get an email as a reminder...whoops:)

ron_of_orange
Mon, 8:42 pm,PDT

ron_of_orange
23-Nov-2012, 09:45 PM
Hi to anybody who might be following this. Although numerically this is post # 7. It should perhaps be looked at as Post #2. Why? Because now I have “two BLACK DOTS”. How did this happen? ANSWER…I had to read one sentence in a Russian USB driver help file which I had to download, Extract the downloaded file using WinRar, and read the first line of file named “doc.txt”…The first line said (seven words long) in English the following” “1. Connect USB cable and install FTDI driver.” I only needed the first three words. That’s how after two weeks of searching every forum I can find for a simple answer.

I had the correct cables, the correct \Software…and the S/W correctly installed. The installation program instructed me to get the FTDI driver. I did. I installed the FTDI driver on WIN XP successfully. What I didn’t do was plug the USB cable into my laptop while also going to the Windows System/Hardware/Device Manager and verify the properties. This is important…PLUG THE CABLE INTO YOU LAPTOP. Windows want to see it!!!!

Note, to anybody still reading this RANT. Do this, and if everything you did is correct…the TWO BLACK DOTS will appear. For me, this also required me to assign Serial Comm Port # 6. and edit the Latency value to 1.Then edit the INPA ODB.ini file to use Comm 6 “Hardware =USB and finally set UBAT=ON. and then Save the file in the proper Directories. UBAT apparently is effective at simulating the Battery power condition (BLACK DOT) for those of us using the Serial to USB Adapters with a FTDI 232rl Chip in the ODB2 Connector. My cable and it’s connector are blue. The connector has a single LED light which lights up when plugged into the ODB2 port under the Steering wheel of my 1999 E39.

Next INPA INSTALLATION ERROR problem! “Error compiling Script File” This was mentioned earlier in my Original Post (#1) to repeat:
The first (window) allows me to select my vehicle via the <F5> key and I can select the sub menu items such as engine, transmission, etc. The results are all the same. A dialog box pops up with an error message "error creating script file".

The above is only an example…Every selection made on the First INPA Window will generate an error message. I believe I have the necessary files installed. Although I do not have any “.ips files”… I do have 418 ”ipo files” in the C:\INPA\SGDAT DIRECTORY.

All INPA Version 4.4.7 guru's are welcome and thanks in advance :)

EDIT/added
from fellow Bmw guru at http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f99/bmw-inpa-success-e39-e46-onwards-t74608/index7.html
joylove the following: " 07-12-2012, 21:18 Post #62
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. You don't need to edit the scripts, you don't need to copy or paste them. If you are done with fixing your engine issues, try the ncs expert threads to code drive away locking or comfort closure."

ron_of_orange 1:40 pm PDT
1999 E39 w/ round odb1/ads (bonnet) and odb2 port(dash)

rebel.ranter
23-Nov-2012, 10:56 PM
Hi, the version you have of the software is not complete. Also the cable you have will work OK with INPA but it will not work for coding or for DIS auto vehicle identification function.
With regard to the FDTI driver, some of the better install packages have this install built in as the first item in the package.
I would seek out a different software set up & I wouldn't continue with that cable, unless of course you plan on modifying it to allow true battery recognition. I have instructions on how to do that, I'll post that next.

rebel.ranter
23-Nov-2012, 11:00 PM
Here's a bit of info on the cables, there is a link to the VAG-COM cable modification (that's the type of cable you have).

http://www.bmw-driver.net/forum/showpost.php?p=370951&postcount=8

ron_of_orange
24-Nov-2012, 02:28 AM
Here's a bit of info on the cables, there is a link to the VAG-COM cable modification (that's the type of cable you have).

http://www.bmw-driver.net/forum/showpost.php?p=370951&postcount=8

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++
My Cable per eBay seller Descriptions is:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Diagnostic-USB-Cable-Code-Reader-Interface-Full-Adapter-Set-INPA-SSS-DIS-/120987489499?#Car_Compatibility

Software Compatibility
Cable and software works will all versions of Windows including Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7 (both 32bit and 64bit versions)

This Cable will connect to all modules in your BMW and has been fully tested with following programs (supplied)

● INPA
● Ediabas
● DIS (v57)
● SSS Program (v32)
● NCS Expert
● Navcoder
+ many other programs
++++++++++++++++++ you're saying my cable is a VAG_Com++++++++++
Not sure how you determined this. Could you offer some evidence or equal proof? Mine does plug into the Laptop USB port and Now has been assigned COM1. Com 6 was used for awhile as an alternate. Didn't make any difference.

As to the Software...I agree that there are later versions...but do I really need the latest versions?

Question: Does the INPA programs usually have a set of ".ips files"? I've read the 32 page "www.bmwpost.ru_inpa_problems_FAQ.pdf" which offers the following:

4.2 xBD-Export of SGBDs, Group SGBDs, INPA scripts and INPA configuration files using the ECCO Web Client
The update of SGBDs, group SGBDs, external tables, INPA scripts and INPA configuration files can be done webbased using the ECCO Web Client.
You can apply for acces rigths for ECCO at the user service center (Tel. 089-382-55555) stating Your valid Q/QT/QX number.
You can reach the homepage of the ECCO Web Clients with the following link:
http://www6.muc/ppea. After login You have to select the link xBD Export in the navigation bar and You can see the search screen. You have the possibility to search for a single file or search for all files assigned to a certain type series or search for a several release periods.
___________________ I've been to the BMW ECCO service ______(MEMBERS ONLY)________________________

Seems like I'm stuck with NO Script Files. Is there a source that I can get what's needed?

EDIT/ADD: From fellow guru http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f99/bmw-inpa-success-e39-e46-onwards-t74608/index7.html

joylove the following contribution " 07-12-2012, 21:18 See POST #62
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. You don't need to edit the scripts, you don't need to copy or paste them. If you are done with fixing your engine issues, try the ncs expert threads to code drive away locking or comfort closure.

Thk's for your quick responses,

ron_of_orange 6:25 pm PDT

rebel.ranter
24-Nov-2012, 09:14 AM
I sent you a PM, check your private messages.

Why do I think your cable is a VAG COM cable:
- It's blue for a start! So it has its origins in a vag com cable.
- You should not need to change the UBATT setting unless you are using a VAG COM cable & you need to fool the software into thinking the battery has been detected. Changing UBATT is just turning on the black dot, i.e. it's not real battery detection.

N.B. Of course it could be a fully functioning (for BMW) modified VAG-COM cable, but you need to have the proper software install to verify that.

chriskross
24-Nov-2012, 11:53 AM
My cable is also blue, bought from here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330606867879?item=330606867879&viewitem=&vxp=mtr

Granted I haven't tested it with a car yet, so I may be back with questions... :)

rebel.ranter
24-Nov-2012, 02:11 PM
Don't get caught up on the whole blue thing. As mentioned the VAG -COM cables can be modified with a transistor & a few resistors to be fully compatible with BMW software.
Of course there could be someone out there selling a BMW ready cables too...unlikely though.

That cable you bought Kriscross will only cars up to March 2007, it doesn't have D CAN functionality. The same goes for you ron_of_orange.

ron_of_orange
28-Nov-2012, 03:26 AM
Don't get caught up on the whole blue thing. As mentioned the VAG -COM cables can be modified with a transistor & a few resistors to be fully compatible with BMW software.
Of course there could be someone out there selling a BMW ready cables too...unlikely though.

That cable you bought Kriscross will only cars up to March 2007, it doesn't have D CAN functionality. The same goes for you ron_of_orange.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++

I'm aware that VAG_COM cables have been used with modifications. I'm also aware that they were used for AUDI & VW and something else? (other vehicles).
WIKI_pedia has some background information on these cables. None of it helps us BMW afictionanotos(SP). I just looked at the POST here from KRISCROSS...seems he might be on a similar persuit. (another blue cable...for BMW). I'm adding an attachment (picture) of my cable here.

I'd really like to get some-feed back for the following:
“Error compiling Script File” This was mentioned earlier in my Original Post (#1) to repeat:

Where are the Script files...or where to get them for a 1999 BMW E39? Should I have these as a set of files furnished with the Software that came with my cables?....This question is driving me nuts. Does everybody have these files except me. Where did they get them... were they compiled "ON_THE_SPOT"?

Misc.comment: I "remarked out" the UBAT= ON/OFF in my "ODB.ini" files...I still have two BLACK DOTS as of this evening. That, I believe is a good thing.

Thanks to all parties, :) :) :)

ron_of__orange 7:22pm PDT

rebel.ranter
28-Nov-2012, 09:29 AM
Script Error
The "Error compiling script files" either means your install is corrupt or you are clicking on the wrong INPA shortcut.
I know for sure that some of the versions of INPA out there are not 100% & also that some of the versions of INPA will not install correctly if they are not mounted as an ISO image on a virtual drive. See the INPA install guide over on Bimmerforums for yourself if you don't believe me.
The other possibility is that you are clicking on the wrong INPA file. With INPA you can (if you're a decent programmer) write customised script files, so there is a compiler built in to the software package to allow you build these custom scripts. There is a file called INPA.ipo & INPA.ips try clicking on the one that you are not already clicking on, you may be inadvertently running the compiler as opposed to the actual INPA.

Black Dots?
As for now having the black dots? They are only counted as working properly if:

- Battery dot turns black when you first plug it in to the OBD socket in the car
- Ignition dot only turns black when you turn the key in ignition to position 2 (the dot should change between black/white when you turn on/off the ignition).

If the dots are black when you are not connected to the car then it is further evidence that your software install is corrupt. ie The dots signify battery & ignition detection so if they turn black without being connected to the car then where are they detecting the battery & ignition?

VAG COM Cable
This is my last word on this cable, there is no onus on me to provide evidence that your cable is a VAG COM cable. You've got to figure that out for yourself. I'm telling you that from my experience, any blue cable being marketed for BMW use started out life as a VAG COM cable.

How to tell if it is a VAG COM Cable?
An unmodified VAG COM cable will work with INPA software but the feature of battery & ignition detection will not work properly. So this might be another clue in your investigation as to whether yours is a VAG COM cable.

Making a VAG COM cable work with INPA means you either have to:
- modify the EDIABAS.ini file to trick the software in to thinking the car's battery & ignition have been detected. This is not proper battery/ignition detection.
- modify the circuit as previously linked to to allow proper battery/ignition detection. This is needed for DIS if you intend to use auto vehicle detection.
I don't care if you have a VAG COM cable or not but if you do then you need to be aware of the limitations above.

ron_of_orange
28-Nov-2012, 08:30 PM
Script Error
The "Error compiling script files" either means your install is corrupt or you are clicking on the wrong INPA shortcut.
I know for sure that some of the versions of INPA out there are not 100% & also that some of the versions of INPA will not install correctly if they are not mounted as an ISO image on a virtual drive. See the INPA install guide over on Bimmerforums for yourself if you don't believe me.
The other possibility is that you are clicking on the wrong INPA file. With INPA you can (if you're a decent programmer) write customised script files, so there is a compiler built in to the software package to allow you build these custom scripts. There is a file called INPA.ipo & INPA.ips try clicking on the one that you are not already clicking on, you may be inadvertently running the compiler as opposed to the actual INPA.

Black Dots?
As for now having the black dots? They are only counted as working properly if:

- Battery dot turns black when you first plug it in to the OBD socket in the car
- Ignition dot only turns black when you turn the key in ignition to position 2 (the dot should change between black/white when you turn on/off the ignition).

If the dots are black when you are not connected to the car then it is further evidence that your software install is corrupt. ie The dots signify battery & ignition detection so if they turn black without being connected to the car then where are they detecting the battery & ignition?

VAG COM Cable
This is my last word on this cable, there is no onus on me to provide evidence that your cable is a VAG COM cable. You've got to figure that out for yourself. I'm telling you that from my experience, any blue cable being marketed for BMW use started out life as a VAG COM cable.

How to tell if it is a VAG COM Cable?
An unmodified VAG COM cable will work with INPA software but the feature of battery & ignition detection will not work properly. So this might be another clue in your investigation as to whether yours is a VAG COM cable.

Making a VAG COM cable work with INPA means you either have to:
- modify the EDIABAS.ini file to trick the software in to thinking the car's battery & ignition have been detected. This is not proper battery/ignition detection.
- modify the circuit as previously linked to to allow proper battery/ignition detection. This is needed for DIS if you intend to use auto vehicle detection.
I don't care if you have a VAG COM cable or not but if you do then you need to be aware of the limitations above.
+++++++++++++++++++ thanks ++++++++++++++++++++++++

Sorry if it seems I was beating a dead horse. If you could tolerate one more question since I don't know what physically might inform a non-informed individual. Are all Vag-Com cables blue in color? Are there any legitimate BMW compatible cables and where to get one? I get the feeling the only way to get through this dilemma is to find a "REAL Vag-com Cable" and then based on my needs make some rather tricky electronic circuit modifications. I've seen different Chips being used as well as different mod's. Are all BMW DIYer's dealing with this crap? Thanks for being so patient. I might be guilty of being a NIT_ PICKER....However, finding the real combination to this lock is a nightmare...and $$$costs $$$ are unreal in my opinion.

Regarding my other dilemma; I.E.> Scripts files. Seems you came pretty close to saying I should have these ".isp files". I don't. Question: Does the INPA v5.02 Upgrade have script files? The program Ediabas as best I can determine works hand in glove with INPA. Question: Is this true with the upgraded INPA programs? Have you or anybody else had similar problems? You've been saying my installation and/or the programs could be suspect.
My software was provided on CD's and consisted of compressed ".RAR files" and a 55 page installation .PDF file...which compares very favorably to what I've seen at various BMW forums. I'm looking at the programs offered on 4 Shared.com as an alternate source http://www.4shared.com/account/dir/7137899/6e9cd794/sharing.html#dir=25927950. This website leads me to think the files may be directed to the BMW model E36. Perhaps you have some insight on this source?
referring back to POST #11 you said N.B. Of course it could be a fully functioning (for BMW) modified VAG-COM cable, but you need to have the proper software install to verify that.
Comment; Proper Software?... I'm seeing some evidence that there are some "hacked" versions. This certainly is no place for the "Weak of Heart" ...

EDIT: I found this today...Please take a look...It appears to be dedicated to BMW up to 2004...Perfect for me. Newer stuff I don't need.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260719985163&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

Did I say thanks?.... absolutely...Thanks, many times over.

ron_of_orange 12:23pm PDT :):):)

1999 USA, BMW E39 with ODB2 and 20 pin Round with vacant pin 15

rebel.ranter
29-Nov-2012, 12:12 AM
Before you go buying another cable why don't you download that software I sent you a link to? I use that very regularly on all cars from 1996-2008 without issue. At least it would prove out once & for all whether your current interface is good or bad.
The cable you linked to is for BMW Scanner, a different software package, it is more limited but will probably meet your needs.
If I was buying all over again I would be looking at the following solution:

http://www.bmtechnic.com

Simple, one click install.

BTW when I referred to "proper software" I meant that it was an uncorroupted version of INPA. And yes all versions of INPA run on Ediabas.

Claudio
29-Nov-2012, 12:57 AM
i spent the 60-70 euro and got the bm technic package and it was easy install without all this shite, exactly the reason i did not want all this hassle, the whole install is far too compliacted if you try and install a downloaded version and dont know what youre doing

deepsrd
29-Nov-2012, 09:50 AM
Regarding my other dilemma; I.E.> Scripts files. Seems you came pretty close to saying I should have these ".isp files". I don't. Question: Does the INPA v5.02 Upgrade have script files? The program Ediabas as best I can determine works

Check your C:/INPA/SGDAT folder if you have files for the chassis you are trying to read..

ron_of_orange
01-Dec-2012, 11:42 PM
Before you go buying another cable why don't you download that software I sent you a link to? I use that very regularly on all cars from 1996-2008 without issue. At least it would prove out once & for all whether your current interface is good or bad.
The cable you linked to is for BMW Scanner, a different software package, it is more limited but will probably meet your needs.
If I was buying all over again I would be looking at the following solution:

http://www.bmtechnic.com

Simple, one click install.

BTW when I referred to "proper software" I meant that it was an uncorroupted version of INPA. And yes all versions of INPA run on Ediabas.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++
I've sent you a PM. Briefly, I need advise on merging or replacing files with the best E39 (USA 1999-528i salon) reference/data/etc The INPA 5.02 almost totally ignores E39. It doesn't show up on the First Screen at all (no function key). An engine reference was found under the Shift+F9 key. This created an error #95...which wasn't of any use at this time. Thk's for the feed back on the BMW Scanner Cable...It all helps!!!:):)

ron_of_orange Sat Dec. 1 2012, 3:41pm PDT

rebel.ranter
01-Dec-2012, 11:53 PM
You can move the e39 out to the main page in INPA, I have a custom INPA.ini file that does this. I'll send you a link to it so you can replace your own.
5.02 doesn't drop anything for the e39 apart for one of the "Special Tests", the only advantage of the special test is it checks every module in one go.

Did you go through each of the three steps in that install? That version of INPA has worked on literally dozens of laptops!

ron_of_orange
02-Dec-2012, 03:52 AM
Great...I'll certainly give your customized Inpa.INI a try. I originally stated with INPA Version 4.4.7.

I'm also hoping that swapping (or) updating data will allow me to dial in what's seems to be missing.

Question(s): Is there a special group or list of files, file types (and special folders) that I should be looking at as suitable holders for this type of effort? Is their any thing with a " DON"T TOUCH THIS" type file, or collective lists, programs, etc. to avoid or not too tamper with?
I'm familiar with ini files from my early days playing with DOS and earlier version of Windows.

ron_of_orange Sat Dec. 1 2012 7:44pm PDT

1999 E39 528i Salon (USA)
P. S. The three step instructions offered for the upgrade to 5.02 worked fine, but could be a tad more specific in a couple of places. Worked fine and still was short and sweet...truth be told.

Thk's Ron :):):)

Uber
05-Dec-2012, 02:17 AM
Hi to all guys,

I've installed INPA with no errors poping up but here it is what happens when you run the program.
http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/9106/inpafoto.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/43/inpafoto.jpg/)

This image shows that I'm connect to car when I'm not at all, not even a cable connect to USB.
And the e46 model do not appears!

Any tips for why this is happening??
Regards:cool:

ron_of_orange
07-Dec-2012, 11:57 PM
This is also a Thank You to Rebel_ranter
INPA is working...:):):):)

Thanks for your patience, contributions, and your generous offering of time, etc.

You can move the e39 out to the main page in INPA, I have a custom INPA.ini file that does this. I'll send you a link to it so you can replace your own.

This is also a Thank You to joylove over at:http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f99/bmw-inpa-success-e39-e46-onwards-t74608/index6.html#post1038166

I probably would have thrown the whole laptop / Vag-com cable and the modifications required in the TRASH after several frustrating attempts to get my setup working. It Works now...even though there were some suggestions from various sources that I may have issues with the Software and / or the hardware. All help found here and through the other BMW forums contributed and without the help I wouldn't have succeeded.

from Across the Pond
ron_of_orange 3:50pm PDT

P. S. I'm still waiting for a Link...ref: INI editing :):):)

rebel.ranter
10-Dec-2012, 12:46 PM
P. S. I'm still waiting for a Link...ref: INI editing :):):)

Please see attached a copy of my INPA.ini file. To use it do the following:

1. Go to the folder C:\EC-APPS\INPA\CFGDAT
2. Rename your existing inpa.ini file to inpa.old. This will allow you to revert back to your old inpa.ini if anything goes wrong
3. Save the attached file in the folder: C:\EC-APPS\INPA\CFGDAT
4. Open the file you have just saved (using notepad), then click File -> Save As -> inpa.ini. Don't forget to change the "Save As type" to "All Files", other
wise it will not work. See the image "inpa.ini-pic" below.

Now Open INPA as you did before & you'll see a customised home screen, with the e39 on the front page.

rebel.ranter
10-Dec-2012, 01:09 PM
If you want to know know to change the ini files yourself then it is as simple as editing any of the .ini or ENG files in the folder:

C:\EC-APPS\INPA\CFGDAT

Take the example of the extract from INPA.ini below:

F2 = E46
F2_Text = E46 3er
F2_ARCHIV = SGBD_E46

F3 = E39
F3_Text = E39 5er
F3_ARCHIV = SGBD_E39

F4 = E60
F4_Text = E60 (E63, E64) / 5er, 6er
F4_ARCHIV = SGBD_E60

Look at the "F3" entries:

1. The first line is what is displayed in the F3 box on INPA home screen.
2. The second line is what is displayed in the main screen.
3. The third line is the file that is actually called with F3 is pressed/selected.

See the image below:

Similarly you can edit the Sub-Menus by changing the ENG file. Here's an example of the e39 ENG file below. You can see the items for the sub-menu for engine in blue, transmission in green, Bodey Equipment in red & Communication in purple. Where it says "Entry =" it means what follows is the file that will be called when this entry is selected. The item before the comma is the file called, the text after the comma is the description in the sub-menu.
For example:

ENTRY = DDE22,DDE 2.2 for M51
The file called is: DDE22.prg (from SGDAT folder)
The text displayed in the sub-menu is: DDE 2.2 for M51

Where there is "Entry=,," this means it will just be a blank line in the sub-menu.
Where there is a semi-colon ; it means the line is just a comment & will not display in the sub-menu.

[ROOT]
DESCRIPTION=E39

[ROOT_MOTOR]
DESCRIPTION=Engine
;ENTRY= DDE22,DDE 2.2 for M51,
ENTRY=,,
;ENTRY= DDE30,DDE 3.0 for M47,
ENTRY= DDE40,DDE 4.0 for M57,
ENTRY=,,
ENTRY= DME17,DME 1.7 for M43,
ENTRY=,,
ENTRY= DME528,DME 5.2 for M62,
;ENTRY= DME5218,DME 5.21 for M62 MJ 98,
ENTRY= ME72,ME 7.2 for M62 MJ 99,
ENTRY=,,
ENTRY= MS410,MS 41.0 for M52,
ENTRY= MS411,MS 41.1 for M52 US with OBDII,
ENTRY= MS420,MS 42.0 for M52 new,
ENTRY=,,
ENTRY= MS430,MS 43.0 for M54,
ENTRY=,,
ENTRY= MSS52M5,MS S52 for S62 M5,
ENTRY=,,
ENTRY= CARB,Carb-Interface,

[ROOT_GETRIEBE]
DESCRIPTION=Transmission
ENTRY= gsds2,GS8.xx / GS 20,

[ROOT_FAHRWERK]
DESCRIPTION=Chassis
ENTRY= absasc5,ABS5 ASC5 DSC5 DSC3,
ENTRY= edc,Electronic damper control EDC,
ENTRY= ehc,1-axle Air Suspension EHC
ENTRY= lws5,Steering angle sensor,
ENTRY= rdc,Tire pressure control RDC,
ENTRY= dws,Deflation warning system DWS,

[ROOT_KAROSSERIE]
DESCRIPTION=Body
ENTRY= airbag,Airbag,
ENTRY= a-sitz,Active seat,
ENTRY= ews,Electronic vehicle immobilization EWS,
ENTRY= fern_ss,Remote controls,
ENTRY= hkm,Trunk lid module,
ENTRY= ihka39,Air conditioning,
ENTRY= kombi,Instrument cluster KOMBI / IKE,
ENTRY= lwr2a,Headlight vertical aim control LWR2A,
ENTRY= lcm,Light and check module LCM,
ENTRY= mfl,Multi functional steering wheel MFL,
ENTRY= pdc,Park distance control PDC,
ENTRY= aic,Rain sensor AIC,
ENTRY= rls_ds2,Rain and light sensor RLS,
ENTRY= szm,Middle console center switch,
ENTRY= gr2,Cruise control GR2,
ENTRY= zke3,Central body electronics ZKE3,
ENTRY=zuheizer,Additional heater diesel / Park heating,

[ROOT_KOMMUNIKATION]
DESCRIPTION=Communication systems
ENTRY=bordmoni,On bord monitor,
ENTRY= bm_wide,Widescreen monitor,
ENTRY= CDC,CD changer,
ENTRY= dsp,Dynamic sound processor DSP booster,
ENTRY= iris,Integrated Radio Information system IRIS,
ENTRY= navigat,Navigation system,
ENTRY= navi,Navigation computer,
ENTRY= nav_jap,Navigation computer Japan,
ENTRY= radio,Radio,
ENTRY= ses,Speech input system SES,
ENTRY= telefon,Telephone,
ENTRY=video_gt,Video module graphical component,
ENTRY=video_tv,Video module TV component,
ENTRY=videomod,Video module,
ENTRY= zis,Multi functional display MID (ZIS),

ron_of_orange
12-Dec-2012, 12:12 AM
Hi to all guys,

I've installed INPA with no errors poping up but here it is what happens when you run the program.
http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/9106/inpafoto.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/43/inpafoto.jpg/)

This image shows that I'm connect to car when I'm not at all, not even a cable connect to USB.
And the e46 model do not appears!

Any tips for why this is happening??
Regards:cool:

:)Have you tried SHIFT F9 "older models" ...> worked for me!:)

rebel.ranter
12-Dec-2012, 09:11 AM
:)Have you tried SHIFT F9 "older models" ...> worked for me!:)

I have, but take a closer look at my screen. Do you see how I moved things around to put the e39 on the front screen? So I don't have to bother with going in to "Old Models".
Oh, I also corrected the spelling to "Old Models" rather than "Old Modells".

ron_of_orange
15-Dec-2012, 10:24 PM
were good ...I thought I was responding to earlier POST #23 created by UBER.