BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

radio and i drive not working in e60 5 series!!!!!!!!!!!

109K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  Shakal 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
The I drive system and radio/cd player started flashing on and off and then just cut out completely, will not even turn on now, what could this be, any 1 know where the fuse is for it or is it a bigger problem, advice wanted, thanks:confused:

#3 ·
Sounds like your IDrive screen and controller. Common problem in E60. Dealer job for this I am afraid. I hope its still under warranty as they can be expensive, about €1500 I m told.

• Helpful
Reactions: AdminC
#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
I know it's not the best solution in the world but if it were mine I'd disconnect the battery and leave it disconnected for about five mins. And keep ur fingers crossed!!

Again just as a check process I'd pop the radio out also see If the radio itself is getting a power supply than u can rule out fuse/power problem.

You don't really have anything to lose if u try those steps
Hope it not the problem suggested in above replies!

#10 ·
Interestingly it is a known problem with seals on the E60. The seals are renowned for leting water into the boot and the water tends to accumulate in the boot around the controller unit for the Idrive which is near the battery. Check the boot for wetness and hope its wet as this could be your problem. If it is it will save you €1500.:cool:

#11 ·
the big 20amp yellow fuse was fried in the boot,i changed it and the radio and i drive came on was working away grand till i turned off the car went in home came out 20mins later and there was no radio or i drive working AGAIN:mad: so checked the fuse and it was fried again and a smell of wire burning in the boot,boot seems to be dry,just can not figure it out,starting to piss me off now,sprayed clearner in around the dash and i drive a few days ago,could that be the problem thats causing it to short circuit:confused:

#12 · (Edited)
hopefully you wont need to replace everything, i think when battery is low it cuts power to non essential items

just a heads up im upgrading ccc unit and screen in the near future(keep meaning to ring beemerchris) so will be selling on the old kit

also have a spare screen as well was a bit trigger happy on ebay last year

#16 ·
I would be trying to hit BMW for part of the cost as its a known problem. The seals in back doors and boot are always letting water in. Give them a call they might surprise you,:)

Reactions: stephen bawn
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.