BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

BMW IPod Module Part # 65412160344 - anyone have one?

14K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  rebel.ranter 
#1 · (Edited)
Dension Gateway 500 - Install

Hi guys, I'm looking for an iPod integration kit for the 6 Series at the minute & after a bit of research I have there are 3 or f4 options for my car:
1.- Basic iPod interface that uses the Aux port
2. - BMW IPOD Module Part # 65 41 2 160 344
3. - Dension Gateway 500

The Dension 500 seems to be the bees knees but they are going for mad money & I have lost out a few times already on EBay in bidding wars. They are pretty cool units & they even have a USB port for a memory stick/hard drive. Everything is controlled from the iDrive screen & all the artists, songs, genre are searchable, etc. However as of yet they have been elusive within my budget of €250.

So on to the option #2 above, I can't find much information about the part listed in the title, does anyone know if this unit will display the text on the iDrive screen or can you control the iPod for the steering wheel/iDrive? It might be an alternative to the Dension unit if I could survive without the uSB functionality.

Part number: 65 41 2 160 344 (Usually for an e60)

Any info appreciated.

See less See more
#6 ·
Cheers, it's still a teeny bit rich for my wallet but getting close to it. I didn't even think to check Adverts.ie despite buying something off it the day I bought the actual car!
GusK that is good to hear about your experience with the Dension unit, I'm even more determined now to land one!

#10 ·
In the 6 Series the CD changer is in the glove box. There's no CD changer in mine, just a blanking plate so I'll be putting my unit in where the CD changer should be. The Dension unit has an L&R aux port, USB port & an iPod connector. Hopefully this will be a successful install.

#12 ·
Hey rebel.ranter, any progress with the install?

I'm lost without the ipod/iphone connected to the my car and unless I can find an OEM Bluetooth/Aux in module the gateway 500 route is the way to go.

If you could do up a walkthough of the install as pulling the dash apart on the 6 series is probably similar to removing the dash from the E60.

I could take the E46 dash apart no problem, but I don't know where to start with the E60.

#14 ·
I have seen a Dension 500 installed in a E63. The car really needs to be able to read an MP3 cd/dvd to make sure the track names will come up correctly. I think the option to read MP3's came in the 06 model onward though could be 07. I have Dension in my 335 and it super.

#15 ·
I am mid-way through the install (if it's possible to be midway through!). I the Dension instructions definitely include the e63 in the install guide here:

http://www.dension.com/sites/default/files/gateway500mostdualfotinstallguide1.pdf

I have a feeling I will have to request a software upgrade to my M-ASK unit (Business control unit without Nav). Eddie in BMWCare (in another thread) said it can be hit & miss whether MP3 can be played on a M-ASK unit. Also M-ASK may not actually support ID3 tags (display songs/artist). The CCC or CIC can play them ("Professional" stereo with Nav normally).

I'm no expert I'm just finding my way through this.

#17 ·
Hey Rebel Ranter, any chance of a short video of the Dension working? or ever a photo or 2 of what the screen looks like.

Did you have to get a software upgrade for the ID3 tags to read correctly? I was over with BeemerChris yesterday and he said the new iDrive software has a silver background, whilst the older rev like mine has the brown background.

I have a 6 disk changer but it doesn't read MP3's so I'm not sure if I shell out for the Dension Gateway will it read text from the iPhone.

Has anyone seen a tidy cradle solution for an iPhone in an E60/E63, i dont want to have to stick the phone in the glove box every time I get into the car.

An integrated arm rest holder may be the way to go.

#18 ·
I did have to enable MP3 capability & the CD changer through NCS Expert. I added the following options to my VO (Vehicle Order) +KMP3 & CDC through NCS Expert as well although I think I could have skipped this bit.

I did not need to upgrade the software for the whole car.

Here are some shots of the unit in action:

I mainly use the USB stick with the DICE now meaning there is no need for your phone/iPod to go into the glove box. Apologies for the delay in posting pictures.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.