BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

SMG in an E46 M3 RaceCar

6K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  porscheman 
#1 ·
Is SMG a no-no in a racecar?

I see a lot of ///M's and they are 50/50 Manual/SMG. The upgraded paddles look good and I believe the only difference in the CSL box and SMGII box is the actuator that allows the CSL quicker gear changes? Can anybody shed any light? Barry/Mark/Phil?

#7 · (Edited)
Smg from an E46 could work on a race car but it is very limiting in many ways

The car will be a fair bit heavier with smg and you are limited to the standard engine ECU and loom which can be a nightmare on a race car . You can't really change the diff ratio either as the blip on downchange won't match the speed of the car which will wreck the box eventually . You must also use the std flywheel setup which weighs a ton and will kill the car getting out of slow corners

I would advise anybody building a car with the S54 not to use the std ecu because it can be a nightmare

#9 ·
Apart from all that, say good luck to reliability. Nothing wrong with the standard manual box, and as mentioned, it will be a quicker gearchange.
I'm not sure I can agree on the standard ecu - it depends what you are trying to do with it. If you don't need autoblip or datalogging it does a great job of running the engine. Are you buying some sort of beemer race car anyway Brian? :)

#11 ·
yes but what if you give it a kick up the arse and tell it to forget about half the shit that it would be looking for that might not be there on a race car :D

Obviously standalone is the best option but your talking about 1000-1500 quid for something like a DTA S100 ECU etc and then find somebody to map it and so far I don't really know anybody in Ireland at least that can get a S54 with the vanos still intact running properly or even get much gains even with the use of standalone.

#14 · (Edited)
I don't really know anybody in Ireland at least that can get a S54 with the vanos still intact running properly or even get much gains even with the use of standalone.
I do , hell i even raced his car , i think he postse here an odd time . :D

@Fitzer .

If its the blue one your looking at in the uk or the one in denmark then it would most certainly be cheaper to build one.
Iv enquired about them both.
If its not i can pass on the details.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.