BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

E36 Saloon bolt in rollcages

6K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  BMW///M 
#1 ·
Just wondering has anyone on here ever bought a bolt in rollcage for their bmw? Or would they know where to get one?

I have gotten a few prices for custom cages and there all a bit over the top compared to what bolt in cages cost, only problem is I can only really find them for Jap cars.

#3 ·
Ha y are they gay? :confused: Yeah its just a track car at the mo anyway! Are you getting yours back together again?

Ye i tried him, mad price he looking for! Like I know its good quality but its more than the car is probly worth! Theres a local lad that does autograss cages and he could do it but wouldn't be the cleanest job so thought a cheap bolt in would be better.

#6 ·
I've changed my mind again!!! Your runnin cut springs ya? Should be ok then for the mo....what would make a huge difference is if you could get a lower ratio diff, make the most of your powers... But its all about whatever puts the biggest smile on your face lad....which is what im aiming at with my next motor, f*ck this big money cheque book car crap time to go back to basics... Watch this space...................... ;)

#7 · (Edited)
400e for a weld in cage?!? Either he's working for free or it wouldn't be upto much...

A proper weld in cage will be about a 1000-2000 euro depending on how far you go with the job such as getting it seam welded and bars to pick up all the stressed areas of the car such as struts, diff mount, subframe etc.

And as your using cut springs for trackcar, you may need a decent roll-cage:rolleyes:

#9 ·
Ive seen his work in autograss cars that were flipped completely and it stood up to that so no need to say it isn't strong. Wouldn't be the cleanest welds or that but all I want is a bit more safety! At the mo I'm in college so budget is seriously limited.

Considering Mondello will let cars out with no cage any cage is better than nothing!

And I'm not using cut springs, there are aftermarket shocks in it but I can't figure out what make, any stickers that might have been on them are gone but it's definately not standard height!

#8 ·
Roco are traders on DTD

This thread is basicaly to show that our cages are built right. using the right tools and the right method, going off homolagated FIA design.

first of all, all roll cages must be mandrell bent. our bender and tools are the industry standard in roll cage and space frame fabrication and used the world over by some of the best race teams and custom car builders. this makes sure that the bend is uniform, no ripples or kinks, and no flatening on the outside of the bend.

cages must comply to certain design regs depending on the motorsport.
and must be of a homolagated design, or go through an independant engineers assesment.

joints in the cage must be profiled joints, this means the joint must be cut or
notched to fit arround the adjoining tube. no but joints of any kind are used.

we take great pride in our fabrication and our cages, and all roll cages are welded properly and welded all the way around the profiled joints. not just welded on the underside, or half moon welds.

floor plates are regulation 3mm plate, theyre made to fit each car, and welded to diffrent planes on the car, ie, floor, sill, pillar etc.

Because we bend and fab our cages in house, we make each cage to suit each indevidual car, no mass produced bad fitting cages. we build some of the tightest fitting cages bar none, our cages follow the lines and main frame of the car as close as possible, and in most cases the cage can be welded to the chassis in muliple places giving maximum driver space minimum intrusion into the cockpit and driver view. also stiffening the chassis even further.

all in all thats how all top motorsport cages are built or should be built.
like said before i take pride in my work and thats what makes the diffrence in
a good product or service or a great product or service.

below are some pictures of a cage i built this week and you will notice some of the points i made above regarding the building and fabrication. the pics of the cage are taken in raw metal so no defects in either metal or welding are hidden with paint. all bends and plates can be clearly seen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.