BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

Wanna race a season in ITCC for €150?

4K views 27 replies 11 participants last post by  J-Diddy 
#1 ·
On March 24/25th there is a nationwide search for Irelands next top national race driver.

The first round takes place on the 24th across 4 kart tracks (1 per province).
The second round is the following day at Mondello Park in saloon cars

Karting Round:
There are 4 weight categories per event with a max of 16 entrants per category
You will only race against people in your weight category
There are 4 heats, semi finals and finals, each count for points
The person with the most points at end of the day in their category go to the Mondello stage

Mondello Stage
The finalists from the karting rounds will take part in a number of on and off track tests. They will be judged by an independent panel of instructors and experts and one lucky person will be declared the winner that day!

The Prize:
  • Race Licence Application and Fees
  • Use of Race Suit, helmet, boots, gloves
  • Tuition from Race winning driver
  • Test Days before the season starts
  • Use of full blown racecar
  • Murray Motorsport, Irelands most successful race team, will do all mechanical preparation, transportation and raceday work on the car
  • Fuels
  • Tyres
  • Testing fees
  • Race Entry Fees - 14 races
  • Repairs

Tickets can be bought online at www.therace2race.com or from participating kart tracks

Kylemore Karting, Dublin
Delta Karting, Limerick
Galway City Karting, Galway
Formula Karting, Newry

See less See more
#2 ·
Now this would be cool and must say I have the itch to do more after Barry's recent trackday. So would €150 get you more or less two full days go karting and saloon car testing? If so, that alone seems like good value for money!

Regarding weight catagories, what the highest one? :D

Here's me recently :cool::D

#8 ·
You mean you can choose your own ITCC car for the year???

I'll do it so and can sign the cheques to finish my S65 E30 so then... I'll even be very helpful and do all my own mechanical preparation :D

Definitely interested in doing it though even just for the craic. When are entries closed for it?

#10 ·
We supply not only the car but EVERYTHING else! You just need to buy a ticket and win....it's really that simple.

Here is me testing the car in question last Friday at Mondello where it ran very well

One of our sponsors are doing a great €50 off deal at the moment

http://eventdeal.com/locations/ireland/

Reactions: DaveD
#18 ·
Just back, was great laugh, very enjoyable.

There was four heats for each driver, 4 in a heat, you started in positions 1-4, a separate position for each heat.

10/8/6/4 points depending on where u finish in the heats. Semi final points were worth 1.5 times their original value and the final was two times original value.

There were two seperate semi finals with 6 people in each and then a final with 6 people. I think there was 15-17 people in category B, my weight, 80kg.

Got to the final and started in 3rd position, 5 points behind the joint leaders. Ended up in a battle with a guy behind us, we swapped positions a couple of times then I got a bump and spun. All part of the fun.

Thumbs up to Barry, was very well run and a great laugh

#19 ·
Just back, was great laugh, very enjoyable.

There was four heats for each driver, 4 in a heat, you started in positions 1-4, a separate position for each heat.

10/8/6/4 points depending on where u finish in the heats. Semi final points were worth 1.5 times their original value and the final was two times original value.

There were two seperate semi finals with 6 people in each and then a final with 6 people. I think there was 15-17 people in category B, my weight, 80kg.

Got to the final and started in 3rd position, 5 points behind the joint leaders. Ended up in a battle with a guy behind us, we swapped positions a couple of times then I got a bump and spun. All part of the fun.

Thumbs up to Barry, was very well run and a great laugh

#20 ·
Just back from the Munster event... I'm shattered... had to pull in for a bit of a rest on the way home even :p Although, its been a pretty busy week with little sleep so this was probably the nail in the coffin haha.

Was chatting to Barry there about it and how I thought it was run etc.
All in all, I had a very enjoyable day.

Got 1st from first,
2nd from 3rd
3rd from 4th
and then 3rd from 2nd in my final heat but kart in that heat just didn't want to entertain the thought of turning a right hand bend... but thats all part of karting in fairness :p

In my 3rd heat I got a poor kart too which was about a second off the pace but came from 4th to 1st only after two corners in amazement of the other lads and the marshals with everybody knowing it was a little bit shit :p

then lap 3 the steering column snapped :eek::D
My own fault I suppose in getting the kart upset due to asking could it be changed out prior to that heat.... and probably just driving the shite out of it to stay ahead :D

As there was one or two very quick karts, we all then decided the best idea was to run the finals in a time-trial basis with everybody using the same kart for a 3 minute stint. This worked out well too on account of there being such a varied number of drivers in each class so racing was going to be tricky anyway on such a tight track as if you got held up by a heavier racer, it could change the outcome alot etc as well as the karts being alittle varible throughout the day.

I think this was definitely the fairest way as it was down to just the drivers and skill to put in a solid laptime. Racing is all fine but I think with just being such tight tracks and very few laps, its hard to really show differences in drivers as you can spend the whole race in 4th place trying to get past a fella in 3rd thats slower than you but just can't risk clipping the walls to get past ending up in you falling back then again for only having to gain ground again.

The times were seriously competitive then with nearly all classes being within .5 of a second of eachother once everybody had the 3 minute stints done.

I kept making a mistake in the last two corners of my laps as was just too drained at that stage to put the kart where I wanted it after the jump so was a couple of hundreds off the leader but no doubt, I still had a great day :)

will definitely do it again!
Possibly try get a few extra hours of sleep before the next one though...

Good luck to all the lads going to Mondello tomorrow.

#22 ·
What a day - we couldn't have asked for better weather or a tighter competition. There was less than 1 second between the top 10 in terms of laptime and the 4 independent corner judges all scored each car (no one knew who was in what car) in pretty much the same order.

Here is a picture of the finalists at Mondello Park today with the car on offer

And most importantly here is the winner, John Greaney who qualified from the Ulster round after traveling from his home county of Wicklow, due to his category being sold out in Dublin. John is 20 years of age and has never competed in anything before. Not only did he receive the top score by the 4 on track judges he also had the fastest lap and performed well in the media test. In just 3 weeks John will be on the grid for his first ever car race in the ITCC at Mondello Park

#25 ·
Ah I couldn't really commit.

Running is my priority and can't be missing that(especially at weekends)

Yeah ill like that now

Remember you where out with me at the 32tuning track day? I got some kumho v700 tyres....some upgrade from the t1rs!!!

Easily doing 1:07s now rather then just about breaking 1:08s

Next on the list is to test the difference with it being mapped

#28 ·
Done this which in fairness was well run but karting was the biggest load a bollix it should of taken place in the mazdas from the get go karts were all different handling and power good and bad so some of the people could not show there real skills talents etc I would of gotten to mondello only for in the last heat my kart was the slowest and pulling to the left will part take in the next event providing it doesn't start off in the karts

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.