BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

The Formula 1™ Thread (2013)

51K views 140 replies 29 participants last post by  audi_nut 
#1 ·
Same idea, new thread, new season approaching. (37 days to go :cool: )

Test times from today:

Unofficial Tuesday test times from Jerez:
1. Jenson Button 1:18.861
2. Mark Webber 1:19.709
3. Romain Grosjean 1:19.796 4. Paul di Resta 1:20.343
5. Daniel Ricciardo1:20.401
6. Felipe Massa 1:20.536,
7. Nico Hulkenberg 1:20.699
8. Nico Rosberg 1:20.846
9. Pastor Maldonado 1:20.864*
10.van der Garde 1:21.915
11.Max Chilton 1:24.176
* Using 2012 car

#8 ·
I'm looking forward to seeing the Barcelona testing. It will give a better idea of which cars are good.

I think the teams will be alot closer this year because alot have just simply made adjustments and improvements to last years cars because there were no real rule changes. So hopefully it will make the championship more down to the better drivers than the better cars.

Still love to see mclaren or Ferrari take it and knock redbull off their perch.

#11 ·
Anyone know how much extra it is to just get the F1 Sky Sports channel on top of normal Sky? Getting sick of watching the crap BBC coverage, and sick of Coulthard and Eddie Jordan! I stuck it out for last year as didnt have much time to watch with a new baby, but this year i dont want to be stuck with BBC (thats if they even have rights to broadcast this year at all???)

#12 · (Edited)
You cant get it on its own you have to subscribe to sky sports.
I didnt want the sports channels because I have no interest in it other than for cars so I found the cheapest way was to get SKY HD it comes as standard with that and there are good deals going for it at the moment too.

Although thats no good if you actually want the sports channels

#15 ·
Chatter afoot that "Sky Sports F1" may be changing it's name to "Sky Sports Speed" to include the likes of Indycar and Nascar. (Would be nice if they got WRC too:cool:)
Not sure if this will impact the 'free with HD' deal but will see. About time they stopped charging extra for HD anyway IMO.

#17 ·
Thought this was really funny on one of the days testing last week.
Button stops at the end of the pitlane & a Lotus person comes out with his Iphone takes a picture of the rear of the McLaren :D :D.
Usually there a bit more subtle at taking spy pictures then this !!.

#20 ·
2013 Driver lineup

• Red Bull: Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber
  • Ferrari: Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa
  • McLaren: Jenson Button and Sergio Perez
  • Lotus: Kimi Raikkonen and Romain Grosjean
  • Mercedes: Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg
  • Sauber: Nico Hulkenberg and Esteban Gutierrez
  • Williams: Pastor Maldonado and Valtteri Bottas
  • Force India: Paul di Resta and Adrian Sutil
  • Toro Rosso: Daniel Ricciardo and Jean-Eric Vergne
  • Caterham: Charles Pic and Giedo van der Garde
  • Marussia: Jules Bianchi and Max Chilton

#21 ·
2013 Driver lineup

• Red Bull: Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber
  • Ferrari: Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa
  • McLaren: Jenson Button and Sergio Perez
  • Lotus: Kimi Raikkonen and Romain Grosjean
  • Mercedes: Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg
  • Sauber: Nico Hulkenberg and Esteban Gutierrez
  • Williams: Pastor Maldonado and Valtteri Bottas
  • Force India: Paul di Resta and Adrian Sutil
  • Toro Rosso: Daniel Ricciardo and Jean-Eric Vergne
  • Caterham: Charles Pic and Giedo van der Garde
  • Marussia: Jules Bianchi and Max Chilton
Adrian Sutil, do we think he deserves another chance? Personally I have my doubts about it. Could yet be a potential dust-up between himself and Hamilton. Was a bit surprised to be honest that he managed to get all the necessary visas sorted out, in particular for the USA.

Jules Bianchi nice to see him getting a seat somewhere on the grid.... money talking I wonder?

Really looking forward to the season opener now, the coverage of the winter testing by Sky was something we never had before and it helped heighten the anticipation a little more.

Roll on Paddy's weekend;)

#22 ·
For those who care BBC have confirmed there line up and dates.

Today has been a busy day for Formula One, as I mentioned earlier, Maria De Villota has joined the line-up at Atena 3 for this season. We have also seen the BBC launch their 2013 Formula One coverage. The big change for this year is that the corporation has a new presenter as Suzi Perry takes over from Jake Humphrey who has moved on to pastures new in the form of BT Vision.

Suzi is no stranger to the BBC having presented the channel's Moto GP coverage for 10 years. Suzy is the not the only new face to join the BBC F1 team as former Toyota F1 driver Allan McNish has joined the BBC 5 Live commentary team and will work alongside James Allen who joined the team last year.

Pitlane reporter, Lee McKenzie will once again cover events from up and down the pitlane, she will be joined full time by Formula One journalist and broadcaster Tom Clarkson, Meanwhile Ben Edwards and David Coulthard have been retained as the BBC's TV commentator's and former team owner Eddie Jordan will once again provide expert opinion and analysis alongside David Coulthard who will continue to carry out both role's of commentator and analyst.

The BBC also confirmed an expanded role for the technical correspondent Gary Anderson; he will provide technical analysis across the BBC's platform of TV, Radio and Online.

The BBC has also announced that Practice sessions for all their LIVE races will be shown on BBC 2.

Their first LIVE race will be the Chinese GrandPrix on 14th April.

BBC LIVE F1 Schedule for 2013:

14th April China
12th May Spain
9th June Canada
30th June Silverstone
21ST July TBC
25th August Belgium
8th September Italy
13th October Japan
27th October India
24th November Brazil

The BBC will continue to show extended highlight's of GrandPrix starting with next weekend's Australian GrandPrix the 2013 season opener.

In my opinion, Suzi is going to get on extremely well and will be well able for DC and EJ as she has been in a Motorsport environment and she is use to being in front of the camera.

#23 ·
For any of ye that have Sky's 'On Demand' service, there's an episode of F1 Retro there for download;
"Only season do date in which the world title has been awarded posthumously to Jochen Rindt that dominated until Monza on his lotus. Jack Brabham retired at the end of the season"

Now they were racers!!

#28 ·
Good 1st race of the season. Thought it was going to be a Vettel-lead St. Patricks day parade in Melbourne there for the first few laps. Those super-softs certainly mix it up, don't they?

Kinda feel that any race that Vettel doesn't win now will be a good one;)

#29 · (Edited)
It was a great race and I was worried about another vettel dominated season but its off to a very good start. Great seeing that lotus and Ferrari and fast which will make it very interesting.
I think if the cars are that good that this season will definitely come down to the best driver hence why vettel didnt win :D

Also very impressed by the force India pace, Sutel did a great job it was a pity the tires gave up at the end.

It's looking like another great season ahead. :cool:

#33 ·
As it has been for a few years - a tentative start ,with the homolgation rules now really in full effect everyone realises it's about reliability and consistency.

What I will say about the maturing of this rule set is that ,yes, we really are seeing how much an outstanding driver can do with an average car (e.g. Alonso) but at the same time it means that very average drivers can stroke an average car home in a high attrition race and get (somewhat) undeserved points - but to the victor the spoils eh ?!!?!

I was very happy with kimis win , less happy with McLarens eating tires and over the moon that in this race at least there was glimpse of a three horse race

This year will be about the smallest of margins ,which is a pity beacause the days of NA and aerodynamic over-innovation are nearly gone and turbo is almost back.Smaller engines ,less dynamicism and fewer emotions from drivers.

But.............. I still love that first race,that first start and the competition.

I reckon hamilton for a surprise challenge :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.