BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

The Formula 1™ Thread (2013)

51K views 140 replies 29 participants last post by  audi_nut 
#1 ·
Same idea, new thread, new season approaching. (37 days to go :cool: )

Test times from today:

Unofficial Tuesday test times from Jerez:
1. Jenson Button 1:18.861
2. Mark Webber 1:19.709
3. Romain Grosjean 1:19.796 4. Paul di Resta 1:20.343
5. Daniel Ricciardo1:20.401
6. Felipe Massa 1:20.536,
7. Nico Hulkenberg 1:20.699
8. Nico Rosberg 1:20.846
9. Pastor Maldonado 1:20.864*
10.van der Garde 1:21.915
11.Max Chilton 1:24.176
* Using 2012 car

#35 ·
I very interesting race, thought webber would have knocked vettel out lol.
No love lost there.

What was going on in the pit crews ? were they all out on the piss last night or something. ? So many mess ups.

I was gutted for button he was on for a decent finish.

#36 · (Edited)
It's going to be very hostile with Vettel and Webber now for the rest of the season I suspect. Also, with Rosberg finishing with "I'll remember this one" on the team radio as he parked up, it looks like there will be hostility within Mercedes too.

So I'm sure a few of you feel there was injustice done somewhere on the track today. But an interesting point is that Vettel did exactly what Rosberg didn't. Vettel did what a lot of people wanted Ferrari to do for years, but many are slating him today over it - for disobeying team orders, and racing. Personally, I don't like him but he gave me some entertainment racing Webber down the pit straight.

Hamilton exhausted his fuel stocks (as usual) and Rosberg had more in the tank come the end of the race, but he was told to stay behind, and did. Not only was he told not to race, but it was a double whammy as he was clearly faster.

It looks like now, that not only are there team orders, but there's definitely a choice driver within the teams. They claim equality but there's clearly not. At least when Ferrari did it, they did it because Alonso/Schumacher were always considerably ahead in the championship versus the other driver, but today's cases are so early in the season. I guess it just really reaffirms that the teams have a preferred driver.

I don't know if I'd prefer it the other way now, because this is shaping up a couple of nasty rivalries within teams for the rest of the season!

#37 · (Edited)
I think if Rosberg had have passed Hamilton it would have been fair and Hamilton admitted that himself, where as vettel passed webber after they had gotten team orders to save tires and turn down their engines which webber had done but vettel ignored
Before that webber was just as fast even on the slower tires.

Plus vettel has admitted he ignored the orders.

#39 ·
I think if Rosberg had have passed Hamilton it would have been fair and Hamilton admitted that himself
But that's exactly it, it's not their decision. Rosberg said on the radio "I think I'm faster, let me pass", Brawn said "Negative, Nico". Team orders (and preferred drivers) were clear in both situations, with Red Bull and Mercedes. Nico complied, Vettel didn't.

I really hope they (Webber and Rosberg) put it to the No. 1's now. I'm not entirely convinced that Webber has what it takes, as he has a bit of a habit of backing down but Rosberg looks like a strong contender for Hamilton. Out qualifying them in China would be a good start!

#40 ·
I dont understand why everyone hates Vettel? Is it because he is good st what he does? Off the track he is also very down to earth and humble, which is refreshing, the team orders today were redicilous, way too early in the season for it, realistically Webber is not going to ne a title contender, he lacks consistency, with Alonso out early on in the race Vettel needed to maximise his points over him, last year it went down to the last race, dropping 7 points st this stage when its there for the taking is beyond dumb,

Felt shocking sorry for Nico, that was his podium, also I reckon Button would have been mixing it up with the mercs if it wasnt for his bad luck,

People need to remember that although they are a team, they are also individuals fighting for the drivers championship, he also proved that the tyres could last as he didnt fall of the grip cliff in the last 2 laps,

Also good to see Massa doing well, 4th time in a row outqualifying that grumpy fucker with the personality of a plank.

#42 ·
I dont understand why everyone hates Vettel? Is it because he is good st what he does? Off the track he is also very down to earth and humble
Because everyone knows its mostly the car and not his driving that won him 3 championships

because there are clearly a few way better drivers on the grid

because alonso deserved to win last year

the fact that he ignored team orders today and done that to webber shows how much of a pig he is.

a few times ive heard him on the team radio giving out and moaning like a child because someone is quicker than him.

he whinged last year aswell in the german gp because hamilton passed him

he done the same at texas after pulling across him trying to block him and failing.

what a clown i hope any1 other than him wins this year and it'l be a great season for me

#41 ·
Think this will rumble on at Red Bull for a while, or perhaps it's already been brewing for some time; Remember Webber's comment after one of his wins?, "Not bad for a number two driver?"

Ferrari/Alonso made a huge fuck-up, no excuse for it.

McLauren tweeted afterwards that Hamilton was 'Welcome to stop by anytime' :p

Have to wait 3 weeks now for the next episode:(

#44 ·
BBC 4 tonight at 9pm. 'Motor Racing at the BBC: That Petrol Emotion' A look at the undoubted golden age for British Formula One drivers that was the 1960s

Saw a clip earlier of Graham Hill testing a revolutionary flame retardant race suit... twas just a little bit mad!!

#46 ·
Qualifying is getting very close to being consistently boring now. I know it's had many changes over the last 10 years or so, but I think it needs another one now. Q3 is meant to be the most exciting part, and it's the least.

On the plus side, with the tyre differences you alluded to Colm, it should make the race very interesting - especially with the Red Bulls/McLaren's not performing, and Mercedes/Lotus/Ferrari doing quite well.

#51 ·
So Webber's weekend went from bad to worse, to absolutely dismal. He's been handed a 3 place grid penalty for Bahrain for his collision with Vergne.

But what a cracking finish. Found myself in the unusual position of egging on Hamilton. Another 100 metres and the 3rd would have been Vettel's I reckon.
Great to see Alonso on the top step again. Really hope he and Ferrari keep it together this year and can win the championship(s).

#52 ·
Totally agree Colm, delighted to see Alonso on the top step again, would have liked to see Massa do better but 6 wasn't bad considering how mixed up the race was.

Would have liked to see what Kimi could have done with a good wing.

Great finish for ricciardo too.

#57 ·
Enjoyable from 2nd back:p
Di Resta's podium day will come for sure. To give him his due whenever he's talking about his own race he always uses the term 'we' as opposed to 'me'.

Alonso would defo have been in the mix as would Massa but for their probs.

Them tyres are a bit of a mess this weekend.

#59 ·
Great race, Vettel had serious pace, not really saw that in practice or quali. A race to forget for Rosberg. Mercedes must be confused after this race. One car on pole and slides down the order, the other no where in qualifying and first half of the race, only to find form and finish 5th.

#61 ·
Brilliant race. There seemed to be always someone overtaking all of the time. Great battle for the mid points for most of the race between ferrari, mercedes, mclarens and renaults.

Vettel played it well from the front. He went all out to get out there and find some clean air. Considering how much little racing and traffic he had to deal with i was pleased how close the renaults were to him at the end. It really shows that RBR wont be running away with it this year.

Feel bad for Paul, but he kept his head as normal and realised there was no point in trying to stop grosjean to much knowing his history of accidents. Also considering all of the overtaking i was surprised there was only 1 retirement. All good clean racing. Roll on 3 weeks!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.