BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

Replacing a Xenon Dip on my E60

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Garrettod 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi,

Got almost eleven years out of my Xenon Dip's on my E60 before the first died recently, so now I need to replace it.

I was ready to order the bulb when I decided to take a quick flick through the manual and noticed good old BMW have a warning about risk of electric shock or words to that effect, so they are telling me to take the car to the dealer to get it done.

Is changing an Xenon as simple as changing any other bulb, or is there something more to be aware of ?

Also, any idea on how long the Xenon's usually last (just wondering if it might be prudent to buy two and change them both now... even if they are costing fifty notes a pop) ?

..we'll deal with how I manage to get my hand to shrink, so I can fit it in and change the bloomin thing later (suspect it may prove easier to remove the fitting first)

Many thanks,

#3 · (Edited)
Hi,

Just a follow up and more importantly, a heads up for others with a 2006, E60....

MicksGarage.com indicated that I needed DS2's when I put in my car reg online. However when I got them, they were the wrong bulb for my car.

It turns out that BMW switched bulb type during 2006, so some 2006 cars require D2S while others require D1S (and BMW can't even tell you when you give you car details, which option you need). Pain in the a$$, but better to know in advance so you can physically cheeck (which in itself, is another pain in the a$$ given it could be a far more simple proceedure... :eek:)

Hopefully this post will save someone else a little grief in the future.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.