328i drift project - our first project car - Page 19 - BMW-Driver.net Forums
BMW-Driver.net Forums  

Go Back   BMW-Driver.net Forums > Technical Discussion > Motorsports & Track
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise Auto Loans

Old 02-Mar-2016, 10:54 PM
BMW Driver

She'll be a whole different animal now with the s54!

And fair play to you for managing to get so many good sponsors on board too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-Mar-2016, 03:44 AM
BMW Driver

Not long more now! Looking forward to it coming down to us
Old 04-Apr-2016, 01:40 PM
BMW Driver

If anyone is following on Facebook or Instagram you would have seen my final sponsor that is on board for 2016.

Advanced Clutch Technology have supplied me with their brilliant clutch and flywheel kit.

Absolutely delighted and it's great piece of kit, this is made for the 5 Speed ZF gearbox that was on the 328i, both then fit directly on to the s54 without any problem and I also used the 328i starter.
I'll need to go to the GYM to use the clutch! Some difference in pedal feel from the standard E30 clutch.

Once we had the gearbox on we could get the engine into place. We used the e36 engine mounts and subframe. The engine mounts fit on to the S54 as the S54 has predrilled holes already on the engine that match up with the e36 mounts.

No real issues fitting the engine and gearbox into the car, everything bolted up perfect. Once fitted we noticed that the engine was very near the rack and also the anti roll bar. The lads decided to drop the rack and roll bar a few MM to prevent any damage to the S54 sump.

Once the engine was fitted we could get all the other bits tidied up.
Location and pipe runs for the mishimoto oil cooler were decided and completed.
Location, pipe runs and expansion tank location for then water feed were done, we blacked off the original water feed pipe and the lads made up a Y fitting at the back of the engine where the expansion tank and return pipes were joined in.
The S54 fuel pump regulator were fitted in place of the 328 parts.

We are using the original S54 air box and air flow meter with a large K&N Filter attached, hopefully this will allow the proper and regulated air flow into the S54 throttle bodies.

The new JR3 wheels were fitted also, really like them on the car and they fill out the big arches great.

Thinks that's pretty much all that was done, probably forgetting loads of little bits!

Again, only for Alan and Colm @ McKeon's garage, they have been very good to me, they never fail to offer help and get the job done. Thanks again lads.

I dropped the car down to Fionnsport on Friday, Finbarr will complete the wiring and ECU work and make sure all is 100%, I really can't wait to hear it run! and pretty nervous already about getting to drive it! really exciting few weeks ahead hopefully!

Sorry for the lack of photo's, phone was acting up lately

Old 01-Sep-2016, 11:53 AM
BMW Driver

Jesus, where do I start with an update for this thread.....

It's been a crazy 6 months with lots of little and big problems.

Going back to April and the mad rush to make IDC Rd 1, Alan and Colm work tirelessy to get the last few bits sorted so we could bring it to Fionnsport, Finbarr and Dave from @Fionnsport put in a crazy few days to get the car up and running for me, collected it on the thursday in cork and was in mondello for IDC rd1 the next day having never driven it. That event was a disaster unfortunately, problems with the car, spent until nearly 2am on the friday night at home trying to solve it and it was only the following week when we figured out the cause of it, flywheel bolts had come loose and the vibration was causing the engine to cut out, nobodies fault but my own.

Then we done NI Drift Rd1, again some problems with steering hitting the manifold, and locking up on me, then steering pump gave up, but car and engine went great.

On to IDC Rd 2......hit the wall hard in practice....lots of damage...end of weekend...

NI Drift Rd 2, got car fixed after IDC2, was still having steering issues but qualified in the top 8 and into top 16, got knocked out after a spin on entry in the wet.

IDC 3 Global Warfare - During friday practice we finally figured what was causing the steering issues, legends at McKeons garage made me up some solid engine mounts at very short notice, fitted them saturday morning, qualified in the top 32 and got knocked out in the first battle after I missed a gear on the chase run. But I was finally getting some confidence in the car.

Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmXaAmwtf90

NI Drift Rd 3 - Another great event, high speed entries, wall runs, technical layout, great day. Qualified 5th but again knocked myself out in battles after a spin.

Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yTDp2nnmzM

IDC Rd 4 Watergrasshill, was really confident in the car at this stage, felt pretty good going into qualifying, first qualifying went OK, looking back on the livestream the score I got was right as I dropped a wheel slightly in 3 places, at the time on track I was a bit dissappointed with the score and ended up pushing too hard in my second qualifying run and spun, missed out on top 32 by 0.5 points! Nobody to blame but myself, starting to realise I need to be a bit calmer and smarter on how I approach driving. Love this engine though!

Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3LRb81qUoY

Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7Q6wbDe9wI

NI Drift Rd 4 - Another serious days fun, loads of driving time as usual, was dying after a party the night before but ended up qualifying 1st!
Finally after all the hardship and stress all year everything finally came together. Only for Gary's help and wise words all year, and telling me to just drive the shit out of it, and that's exactly how this car needs to be driven to make it work right, epic day and two very consistent qualifying runs put in, scores of 89 and 91.
Top 16 battle I cam up against Chris Brady in his new build, it went to a OMT after two good first runs, but on my chase in the OMT I came in too hot and was going to hit him so pulled back and lost proximity, and that cost me the battle. But overall I was delighted with the day, the result and the car.

So the year to date has had more low's than high's, nobody really knows how tough this year has been apart from my very patient wife, Breda, who keeps pushing me to make each event. Don't know how she sticks it to be honest.

Two more events left for this year, IDC Rd 5 Japfest and NI Drift Series Rd 5, currently sitting 6th in the championship of the NI Drift series so big push on to move up another place or two in that, and I really need to score a few more points in the IDC so the pressure is on but can't wait now that confidence is high again.

We've another little baby on the way mid october also so busy few months ahead

Huge thanks to everyone that's helped me all year, especially Zeetex Tyres, Mileage Tyres, Alan & Colm at McKeon's Garage, Finbarr and Dave at Fionnsport, Gary for all the help at each event, I'd be lost without that help, Mark for all your help and your share of parts, Stephen for your help at events, probably loads more to thank when I think of it.

Would I put myself through it all again......when you get a decent result all the hardship and pressure is forgotten about, so yes, I'd do it all again

Last edited by sideways-theonlyway; 01-Sep-2016 at 12:00 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sideways-theonlyway For This Useful Post:
gar07 (30-Sep-2016), Ketron (30-Sep-2016)
Old 30-Sep-2016, 12:13 AM
BMW Driver

Great read and build.Remember seeing the car a few times in last few years.
Starting off drifting myself in a e46
Old 25-Oct-2017, 03:33 PM
BMW Driver

Default 2017 Update

Jesus, forgot about this thread....

2017 Update...

New wrap design done on the car, design by Infamous, wrap completed by Flagship Sign-Design Mullingar.

Ran a few walls, hit a few walls, broke some things and fixed some things...

Qualified for the top 32 every round of the Irish Drift Championship this year, progressed to top 16 on a few rounds, qualified first at the last round and finished the event in 5th.
So it was a lot more consistent than 2016 years with very few issues with the car.

Video link to the two qualifying runs at the final round below, be great if you subscribed to the my YouTube channel also!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9Vv...ature=youtu.be

And a few more photos

Plans for the winter...
Spend as little as possible, just gonna keep it afforable, few more little things to change, have the Link ECU to go into it also so that will be nice and get it mapped to see what power it can get.

I'll keep ye updated...maybe this time next year

Tags
help needed

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW-Driver.net Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what the 2x4 is made of.

Log-in