BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

E60 iDrive Reset?

71K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  PRege 
#1 ·
Guys, just looked at an E60 and the iDrive has crashed!
its stuck on the TPMS warning screen and i cant get access to the radio screen, service screen, bluetooth screen etc etc etc

pressing the menu button does nothing and i have it on good authorithy (Thanks John Doe) that the iDrive has probably shat itself which can be very very costly to fix.

im just wondering if there is a manual reset proceedure that i can get the owner to try?

thanks.

#4 ·
OK, so got the owner to do the reset, he said the screen went blank and the BMW logo appeared but then went straight back to the TPMS reset screen and the menu button etc are unresponsive.

Sounds like a boken iDrive???

#12 ·
The seller is asking could it be the knob thats broken?
I just said i'd enquire about it.
but if the knob was knackered, then the menu button should still return the screen to the home screen as such, shouldnt it?

Its a great car, with great spec, xenons, bluetooth, folding mirrors, nav, memory seats, upgraded alloys (123 stars IIRC) and is available at a good price so just weighing up the options for him.

If the IDrive is knackered, what parts are required to fix it? and where should i start looking?

thanks.

#13 ·
It seems like the head unit is gone. Maybe the dealer can do some coding trick to bring it back but if not just buy that on its own. Dealer will still need to code it with the current vehicle order of the car so it knows what options it's got.
Shouldn't be too hard to find one, a few on ebay for just the head unit.

#14 ·
Hi BMW Family,
I have the same problem. I have tried rebooting to no avail. As for mine, I guess the "spring load" mechanism is what is messed up: when I push it down to select, it doesn't respond. Other than putting in a new one, how can I DIY fix it?
Paul (Kenya)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.