BMW-Driver.net Forums  

Go Back   BMW-Driver.net Forums > Technical Discussion > Motorsports & Track
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise Auto Loans

Old 06-Feb-2012, 11:51 AM
BMW Driver

Default 328i drift project - our first project car

(already posted on DI, but should have started here first!! )

Ok so myself and my brother bought this 97 328i up in Antrim, hadn't been abused and it had a full service history, spotless inside and out.
We could have gone and bought a car ready to go but where's the fun in that, we've never done anything like this before so we want to learn as much as possible and the only way is to get stuck in and do your own work.
So I got stuck into last night for an hour and got most of the rear internals whipped out.
We'll be selling the complete interior, leather seats were spotless so hopefully someone will be interested in them.

So for some pictures;

The car as we got it;

The interior

An hour later....

And of course the first of many cut knuckles

So here's the plans. This is just gonna be a track car and we haven't got buckets of money to throw at it so trying to keep it as simple as possible.

Complete the strip out, any issues with removing the air bags?

Remove the diff and either get it welded or try to get a welded 325 diff as I read that it has a better ratio, I assume it'd just a straight swap? Any tips for removing the diff?

Looking out for a hydro, will a standard one suit OK or will I need to get a different one for this car? Definately will need some help getting this fitted.

Fit steering wheel & seats.

I dont think we'll be splashing out on a large cone air filter for the sake of a few extra horses, just going to fit a good quality panel filter, what ye think?

I've read about replacing the manifold, gaining extra HP but that you loose torque, so we may just leave it as it is, again, what's ye're experiences?

What should we do with the exhaust?

Really unsure about the suspension, probably just buy some good quality lowering springs for now, anyone recommend a quality brand?

Also on the look out for some wheels, probably sell the ones that are on it, all new tyres on them.

As I said we know f**k all so it's gonna be a steep learning curve, trusty haynes manual on the way though

Looking forward to ye're input/ideas/criticism...all welcome

Last edited by sideways-theonlyway; 06-Feb-2012 at 11:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-Feb-2012, 07:16 PM
Silver Member

Thanked 3,638 Times in 1,979 Posts

Good choice for fun!
1 -325i diff not really the best,your diff ratio is 2,93 and 325i 3,15 ,so not big difference ,the best would be 3,46 or 3,64 ,can help with diff if u interested.
2 - about manifold,i had same conversion and i was happy,if u will go for bigger ratio so its ok with torque,but more horses on high revs,but if u would do remap after,the best spend money on 328i
3- exhaust? no cats ,just fit some silencers,as sound will be crazy
4 - and if u can ,get even cheapest coilovers,works much better as only lowering springs,car handling is first thing on drift,no point lowering springs with oem shocks,only if u would get bilsteins B12

Good luck with project!
Old 06-Feb-2012, 07:30 PM
BMW Driver

for the suspension, theres loads of brand new coilovers for these for 2-250euro, theve got height adjustment and are stiff. theyre not the best quality but perfect for what you want. will be throwing a set of them into my e36 when ive got a few quid spare, wish i hadnt wasted 75 on springs, as its now bouncy as fuck.

Old 06-Feb-2012, 08:42 PM
BMW Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValdelisBMW View Post
Good choice for fun!
1 -325i diff not really the best,your diff ratio is 2,93 and 325i 3,15 ,so not big difference ,the best would be 3,46 or 3,64 ,can help with diff if u interested.
2 - about manifold,i had same conversion and i was happy,if u will go for bigger ratio so its ok with torque,but more horses on high revs,but if u would do remap after,the best spend money on 328i
3- exhaust? no cats ,just fit some silencers,as sound will be crazy
4 - and if u can ,get even cheapest coilovers,works much better as only lowering springs,car handling is first thing on drift,no point lowering springs with oem shocks,only if u would get bilsteins B12

Good luck with project!
thanks,
might just get the 328 diff welded for now and will probably fit the coilovers alright.
heard also that the subframe is not very strong, anyone know where this needs to be strengthened to stop it pulling itself from the car? Pics would be great, just need to find a tasty welder.....anyone any recommendations? I'm in Longford.
I will probably do an overhaul on it as well, looks rusty and could probably do with tightening up.
any other cheapish engine mods that I could do?
anyone recommend good strut braces?

thanks lads
Old 06-Feb-2012, 08:44 PM
BMW Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev.skyline View Post
for the suspension, theres loads of brand new coilovers for these for 2-250euro, theve got height adjustment and are stiff. theyre not the best quality but perfect for what you want. will be throwing a set of them into my e36 when ive got a few quid spare, wish i hadnt wasted 75 on springs, as its now bouncy as fuck.
yeah, think I will go with them alright, hopefully get some of the interior sold soon and I'll be able to purchase then
Old 06-Feb-2012, 08:55 PM
Silver Member

Thanked 3,638 Times in 1,979 Posts

not subframe it self,but places where it fits to the body.buy new plates from BMW,which came as standart on M3 or make custom plates. never fitted them for my E36,never had problems with them,mostly with smaller engines,as not enough power to spin wheels . i think rust is last thing u must to do on it,as drift sometimes hurts and will be more scratches or damages as u can think,or its not your first drift car and u have enough experience,but that happens anyway
Thanks From:
sideways-theonlyway (06-Feb-2012)
Old 06-Feb-2012, 10:30 PM
BMW Driver

hope it gets ya good and sideways.........are ya sellin any bits from the interior im after the arm rest
Old 06-Feb-2012, 11:10 PM
BMW Driver

Yeah selling everyting, add is on done deal...

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/carextras/2963871
Old 07-Feb-2012, 09:15 AM
BMW Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValdelisBMW View Post
not subframe it self,but places where it fits to the body.buy new plates from BMW,which came as standart on M3 or make custom plates. never fitted them for my E36,never had problems with them,mostly with smaller engines,as not enough power to spin wheels . i think rust is last thing u must to do on it,as drift sometimes hurts and will be more scratches or damages as u can think,or its not your first drift car and u have enough experience,but that happens anyway
I just dont want the rust to get out of hand nad weaken the subframe any further, the following pics show the rust...

and the interior now completely stripped...

Anyone want a boot tool kit? Perfect condition and it has everything.

Old 08-Feb-2012, 12:43 AM
BMW Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideways-theonlyway View Post
Anyone want a boot tool kit? Perfect condition and it has everything.
PM me a price including postage unless your down Limerick/Cork way any time soon?

Just need the tools, don't need the actual box.

Tags
help needed

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW-Driver.net Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what the 2x4 is made of.

Log-in