BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thinking out loud but if you had roughly €5k to spend on a car purely for doing track days what would you get??

Thoughts so far:

E36 M3
or Something small & light??:confused:

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Depends what you want from track days? Something small and quick and tidy around track or rear wheel drive larey action :)

·
He who dares, wins!
2,525 Posts
Id be thinking M3 too, you will buy one for cheaper than that though. A UK plated one would be fine as long as you dont plan on driving it to the track? 5k would have an english one bought, a set of KW's and a second hand BBK. Dont be too worried about it being non sunroof - impossible to find and the cassette just bolts out in 5 mins - a decent bodyshop can fit the sunroof panel then to block up the hole in the roof!

·
E46 M3 SMG CB/Blk
1,261 Posts
Just thinking out loud but if you had roughly €5k to spend on a car purely for doing track days what would you get??

Thoughts so far:

E36 M3
or Something small & light??:confused:
E36 M3 as well..

For not too much more you'd be into finding a decent non sunroof Evo model with a few extra's too... ;) :D

If its not needed to drive on road then I'm with Ben in voting a UK plated one. Lots of choice and I'm sure a decent one could be had for £4k meaning back here and all for the 5k mark (flights/ferry/fuel).

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I did buy it, id keep it just for the track and strip it etc... so a UK plate is fine... Im thinking an e36 m3 is the only real option to get the rwd fun out of track days anyway...

What knid of money do caterham/kit cars come in at??

@autotrader: nice find:D

·
Quattro Ist Für Sissies
4,780 Posts
try racecarsdirect

i had a caterham style car for a while, your talking £6k for a savage yoke that will run rings around everything else on track. they break down and piss out oil alot though:D wouldn't fancy flipping one either

·
Registered
950 Posts
They are cheaper than building one yourself.
And it does not necessarily have to be an m3. A well prepped car will be as good if not better than standard. Check out e30, than there is a load of alfas, volvos and mx5 for some rear wheel drive fun. And plenty of fwd hatches. This for example http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/934204.htm

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Pure track use it'd have to be either something like a caterham (spelling?) or something quick and four wheel drive. Evo, impreza, skyline? Hell there is even a sierra cosworth track car on pistonheads for just under 5.

·
Registered
810 Posts
What! A front-wheel drive? Heaven forbid!

I quite like the idea of the Caterham as the ultimate amateur track-car; are they available within OP's budget?
What exactly is wrong with a FWD Larry??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbBytqJUm8U

As for buying a E36 M3, you would have to allow a couple of grand on brakes suspension to make it even remotely decent on track

·
Registered
219 Posts
What exactly is wrong with a FWD Larry??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbBytqJUm8U

As for buying a E36 M3, you would have to allow a couple of grand on brakes suspension to make it even remotely decent on track

Torque-steer and front wheels sharing drive and steering; I don't really have much experience with front wheel drive, to be honest, but any fwd I have driven have torque-steered unbelievably badly!

Front wheel drive is essentially a "packaging" compromise; for performance the rear wheel drive is better (evidence being the almost universal adoptation of rwd for racing cars).

My remark was partly in jest and I would agree with Eoin that a mini is good fun to drive.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I don't really have much experience with front wheel drive, to be honest
Enough said!!

Sean asked for opinions on a €5k trackday car for Mondello...not a money no object formula car.

€5k will get him a bog standard M3 that will chew up brakes and lurch around the corners. The same €5k would get him a number of proven FWD machines that would comfortably outperform a €5k M3

1 - 20 of 29 Posts