BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have an early '03 e46 318ci sport. The engine started rattling during a journey, then red oil light came on and I brought it straight to a local garage (I shouldn't have drove it). They changed the timing chain, tensioner and guide rail (€800). They then found bits of the old guide rail in the engine. The engine had been damaged. They said that they would get an engine from the breakers at the cost of an extra €200.

With the newly installed engine the car was blowing some blue smoke, the car also shook gently during idle and there was a weak strange smell at times. The garage said there may be a Vanos problem and that they would arrange to have the car sent back to the supplier of the engine to diagnose it (under warranty). One day before the car was sent back it would not start. Had it towed back to the garage and they said ECU needed changing. Some pins were damaged/fried and there was a green fluid on them. I got one on ebay. Turned out it was the wrong serial code and the engine turned over but some things didnt work like the fan.

The correct ECU code is 0261209007. I'm going to buy a used one. However, I'm concerned that the same thing will happen to this ECU. Can anyone tell me what was the likely cause of the damaged ECU? I have my own suspician.

Paul.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think it might have been caused by water damaged as I've read about E36s that have their ECUs fried in this way.

I bought a used ECU, EWS, antenna and transponder. Being fitted tomorrow.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts