BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
DZL BMR
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She was doing so well, then developed a fairly steady leak, few drops a day onto the tray, so topping up monthly.
otherwise, doesn't miss a beat, no smoke, burning, no mpg change.

engine up top is bone dry, as is driver side, seems to be coming from the passenger side, mid-way, so possibly the oil filter housing gasket area, (filter housing clean on top and rubber seal fitted correctly)
couldn't really see too well from up top or underneath as it's obscured.
cleaned it off but haven't had a chance to inspect again.

Any top 5 best guesses as to the likely rubber (hopefully) culprit?

1: Oil Filter Housing Gasket (possible DIY fix)
2: Rocker Cover Gasket (not sure if that leaks down around back)
3: Crankcase Breather Vent Pipe
4: Massive hole in engine block :mad:
5: They all leak, live with it. :cool:

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
1 and 2, in that order, would be the highest probability, imho.

Reactions: O2L

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
By the way, reasoning for not ranking 3, 4, 5 are:

3: Crankcase Breather Vent Pipe - usually manifests as oil consumption rather than leaks, but I stand to be corrected by those who know better.
4: Massive hole in engine block - I'm guessing you'd be losing a little more oil than it appears you are :)
5: They all leak, live with it. - if it was an N43 or N46 petrol engine I'd agree with this possibility.

Reactions: O2L

·
DZL BMR
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:nod:

excellent, thanks again, spot on on all points!

crossing fingers for a non catastrophic perished rubber outcome
will post back once I've gotten around to it.

thanks

·
Premium Member
3,737 Posts
oil filter housing gasket

never seen to leak rocker cover, only if some work was done beforehand old gasket was reused

breather hose- only some oil sweep in front of engine

all this if nothing was done on the engine

if some idiots has been worked before, leaks all around

·
DZL BMR
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Valdelis!

Excellent, just saw this now, appreciate that, still haven't had a chance to get it sorted, but it's fairly slow weep so manageable with top-ups and will see if I can get time to take care of it next weekend.

Most of the YouTube vids aren't of the N47, but looks feasible, did this job on the E36, was a pita and took ages because I'm an infrequent wrencher and did it with too many bits in place, so will weight it up :)

cheers!

D

·
DZL BMR
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Leak has left the building - DL Motor Works Thumbs up.

Thanks for all the tips, all spot on....after several top ups and no time to attempt and fail with NCT on the horizon I was pointed in the direction of DL Motor Works in Ballymount and in a matter of days, booked in and sorted for the OFH gasket change and dipstick o-ring, so thanks to Dave and the team, very friendly and efficient and a good wash to boot left it looking sharp as it was dry!

http://www.dlmotorworks.ie/

·
Registered
1 Posts
Leak has left the building - DL Motor Works Thumbs up.

Thanks for all the tips, all spot on....after several top ups and no time to attempt and fail with NCT on the horizon I was pointed in the direction of DL Motor Works in Ballymount and in a matter of days, booked in and sorted for the OFH gasket change and dipstick o-ring, so thanks to Dave and the team, very friendly and efficient and a good wash to boot left it looking sharp as it was dry!

http://www.dlmotorworks.ie/
I am having a similar issue, few drops weeping out of the frame and drop down on the floor near the front radiator area. and I am suspecting OFH. When you say o-ring on dipstick, where is this o-ring located?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts