BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Here is my beast, in all its guts and glory. We imported from the UK, and it has 132k on the clock, and pretty much every service receipt/work from her birthday back to the 8th Feb 1991.

Build Sheet

Type code HD92

Type M5 (EUR)

Dev. series E34 ()

Line 5

Body type LIM

Steering RL

Door count 4

Engine S38

Cubical capacity 3.60

Power 232

Transmision HECK

Gearbox MECH

Colour MACAOBLAU METALLIC (250)

Upholstery ANTHRAZIT STOFF (0313)

Prod. date 1991-02-08

Order options
No. Description
302 ALARM SYSTEM

303 INNENRAUMSCHUTZ/NEIGUNGSALARMG

325 REAR SPOILER

339 SATIN CHROME

401 SLIDING/VENT ROOF, ELECTRIC

430 INT/EXT RR VW MIRROR W AUT ANTI-DAZZLE

458 SEAT ADJUSTMENT, ELECTRIC. F DRIVER/PASS

494 SEAT HEATING F DRIVER/FRONT PASSENGER

500 HEADLIGHT WASHER SYS/INTENSIVE CLEANING

534 AUTOMATIC AIR CONDITIONING

560 CO-PILOTS IN RR COMPARTMENT

571 BOOSTED POWER SUPPLY

812 ENGLAND VERSION

850 ADD FUEL TANK FILLING FOR EXPORT

869 RADIOVORBEREITUNG ZG/ZZ

925 SHIPPING PROTECTION PACKAGE

Attachments

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The m5 passed the NCT last wednesday, our mechanic said it would fail there are number of minor things wrong with it. It ended up passing 2nd retest, it failed on indicator colour only haha. I have it booked in this Sat to correct the issues

- when breaking hard it veers slightly to the right: He's fairly confident that its either worn brake disc a wheel balancing issue
- hole in one of the exhausts - we intially thought it was crack, its fairly loud and even gives those boy racers a heart attack heh
- squeaking pedals - mainly clutch and brake
- wierd clicking sound(sounds a bit like metal rubbing on metal) when in 1st/reverse and turning full circle in either direction - hes not too sure whats causing this but he did mention it could be the crankshaft at worst or the power steering pump at the lower end of the scale.
- The belts at the front of the engine bay are quite loose, and will need to be replaced/tightened
- back left eletric window motor half working, usually stops working and slide down an inch just before a big journey....fecker

Attachments

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Welcome TSM. Glad you made it over alright from M5Board.

Great choice of car, the E34 M5. Hopefully you get the few bits sorted on it. Hopefully will see you at a meet soon.:)

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
Congrats, great to see someone bringing one of these into the country. The most under-valued car on the market IMO. Proper handbuilt ///M :)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@Andy, cheers mate aye am hoping the niggly bits are sorted by this weekend and will drop by at next Dublin meet if I can :)

@Hazzie, e34's rock, I love the body and the old skool angry front.

@leins, i read somewhere that the bmw engineering group could tell which team built the car by taking them out for a spin. Last hand built bmw and am very proud to own such a fun car to drive.

@Ford 2, thanks yep dont like the k&n sticker either. It looks like my filter is K&N will getting this changed it causes problems so I've been told

@Seany C, cheers, call me odd but i prefer these to the throwing stars. Not sure what happened to the originals.

@pentea. thanks, i think vrt was in around 1200 and when add cost price we felt we did ok with vrt added in.

@thanks Rich, since I have nothing to compare it to its my fav m5 too :p

here's two pics i took this morning shite quality off the phone :( I really need to break out the dslr and take a spin up to ringsend/button factory for some atmospheric surroundings :)

The front roundall is getting changed on Sat during the service/repairs, i've grown to loathe the badge on it now.

Attachments

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
nah prob not much more than cosmetics to interior leather and i'd like to see if i can get rid of some of the scratches. I definitely want to change the audio system that will prob be the biggest thing I'll do this year.

I want to keep it as original as possible(dont mention the wheels :p) and I dont want to pump too much cash into either, its an old car and things are going to break. I would prefer to have that money on hand to fix whatever breaks at the time. Its a daily driver for us so thats the most important thing keeping it running.

It might be wishful thinking but I do want to keep it to classic so I do plan to service it alot and keep it in tip top condition.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks george :)

some update on my problems

Fixed :)
- squeaking pedals - mainly clutch and brake - stopped squeakin on their own!
- back left eletric window motor half working - figured out if i turn off the air con while stationary it will work :)
- wierd clicking sound(sounds a bit like metal rubbing on metal) when in 1st/reverse and turning full circle in either direction - tightened the tensioners problem solved
- The belts at the front of the engine bay are quite loose, and will need to be replaced/tightened - see above :)

Open
- hole in one of the exhausts - not major and will be done before next nct in Jan
- when breaking hard it veers slightly to the right - will be sorted on Sat coming during service

New :(
Stinky Petrol smell - turns out the pipe as part of the fuel tank is fairly corroded and dripping fuel - need to replace full fuel tank :(

·
Registered
141 Posts
Just curious but did you consider the 1990 M5 in the for sale section on this site before importing? Surely you won't be getting a better deal after VRT and fixing the bits and bobs? (Tell me to mind my own business if you like!)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I joined this forum good bit after we'd bought it tbh most of the problems I got here are simply old age. Buying a 20 year old car means stuff like this will come up its inevitable no matter what you pay starting off. Compared to other cars the same age the problems I have are quite small and not that expensive to fix.

I did look at that add just now, I think its the same one but its not an M5! That would be the clincher for me but at 600 notes you can't go too wrong :)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Ahh i know who owns that, i copped it when i saw the name on done deal back at xmas '10 it was priced at 8k!!!!! the asking price is still more now than what i paid + vrt ;-) its a nice car tho cant knock it :)

Ahh ronin spot on great film!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts