BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,first time posting here so hope ye can help.
I have a problem with my rear light cluster(2005 e46 316i saloon)
When I switch my headlights on my brake lights and rear fog lights come on....pressing the brake pedal makes the brakes lights brighter.....then when I turn on the rear fog light switch the passenger side tail light comes on.

Please help as my NCT is next week.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Bulbs

Anything coming up on ure dash saying u have a blowed bulb. Had an indicator bulb blow last wk nd cause it was not working my brake lighted flashed when I put on the indicator. New indicator bulb sorted it all out. Only have the car a wk so I could b totally wrong but worth a chance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi all,first time posting here so hope ye can help.
I have a problem with my rear light cluster(2005 e46 316i saloon)
When I switch my headlights on my brake lights and rear fog lights come on....pressing the brake pedal makes the brakes lights brighter.....then when I turn on the rear fog light switch the passenger side tail light comes on.

Please help as my NCT is next week.
I might be totally wrong, but none of that sounds too unusual. The lights getting brighter with the brakes applied is just BMW adaptive brake lighting, used to indicate to other drivers how hard you're braking. When your headlights are on, the rear red lights should come on too. The fog light I'm not so sure about. Both rear fogs should come on, so maybe there's a bulb gone on one of them, although it's strange you're not getting a dash light if that's the case. Take a look at this forum post for a better idea of what your fogs behaviour.

·
Registered
252 Posts
There's only one rear fog light
I suspect the two fog lights you refer to are just the inner Bootlid lamps which come when your lights are switched on.

All sounds normal to me. The usual problem with the E46 saloon is that the earth connection in the block melts and causes a bulb out error.
check earth,old fords had same problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts