BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody,
I'm new to this forum, so here's my first post...

This is my first BMW and a first diesel engine too. I've bought a car a few weeks back and I've recently noticed considerable vibration at idle. The engine runs very evenly, but I can feel pretty noticeable vibration via the gear knob. The vibration can also be felt in the steering wheel and even through the seats. At the beginning this was not very annoying, but after sitting in traffic for 30 mins it really gets to me.
The vibration disappears as soon as I start accelerating and the engine is over 1000 rpms.
The car was checked by a BMW service and they are trying to convince me that there is nothing wrong with the car, that this is perfectly normal and I'm just paranoid.
In the end I am starting to wonder if the vibration is expected in this particular model. The car is in really good nick in general with only 45k miles driven and no other mechanical problems that I noticed.

I'd be grateful if someone could comment on this?
thanks,
Maciej

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
I start looking at engine mounts / diff mount / gearbox. It's only at idle? Hardly a suspect dual mass flywheel - common E90 fault. But you would feel that engaging disengaging gears. I'd start with the mounts and see how healthy they are. Whats the current mileage and what type of roads has the car spent the past 5 years on?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I mentioned the gearbox/engine mounts to Frank Keane service in Blackrock when I left it there - they were supposed to check those - they said that they're fine.
They also said the car's computer indicated no faults.

From what I know the car was mostly used in Dublin region. The milage is only 45k miles.

·
2005 E90 320d
262 Posts
Hello,

Have you checked the crankshaft vibration damper pulley? I had a similar problem with my e90 320d but it had twice the mileage of yours.

·
I know nothing about BMW
3,038 Posts
vibration can be passed from the engine to the rest of the car if there is an airleak. Check the hoses and connections.

Had similar on a car I had before.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks a lot for all valuable suggestions!

My main goal here was to make sure that I am not getting paranoid (as stated by the dealer) - judging by the responses, considerable vibration on idle doesn't seem to be normal...

Would anybody be able to recommend a good garage around Dublin? I'd like to have the car checked out by someone who knows what he's talking about. The car is still on warranty, but obviously that doesn't help much here...
thanks

·
Registered
86 Posts
did you ever get sorted on this ?
I have a 318d with a DPF problem (same year - same miles), and there is a serious engine vibration. Not sure if the vibration is linked to the DPF issue

·
Registered
1 Posts
update?

Any updatee on this problem? Did OP managed to get it sorted and identify the issue? Also to post above did replacing the dpf rectify yours?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts