BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am new to BMW-Driver.net.

Can anyone help me, I have my first BMW about a year now. A cracking navy blue 2011 BMW 5 SERIES 520D SE SA Z5I3 5DR Auto 2.0L Automatic Diesel Estate with panoramic sunroof and ambient light kit. Real head turner!

About six months ago my driver's side angel light stopped working. A main dealer wanted €500 to sort it. He said it would cost about €135 for a software diagnostic test for something he already knew the issue and €375 for a new Module Controller. €500 to get a side light bulb working (that is actually not broken). Hell will freeze over before I pay them €500.

My NCT is in four months and I need to get this fixed.

I think the part number is 63 11 7 304 906 but I would not have the whereabouts to install it.

Any ideas? :confused2:

·
Registered
538 Posts
It's not just a matter of fitting it (which is quite easy). You should update the software of car too and initialise the system.

If you want a new part you will be paying very close to the €500 mentioned...

Dealer only part and if you want to risk secondhand it's your choice...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Apologies about the delay in responding and thank you for your thoughts and advice. If there is no other way, so be it but it sounds hugely over-engineered to me. What exactly does the Module do?

Can you by-pass it and feed the battery current directly to the Angel side light which is not faulty?

·
Registered
538 Posts
Apologies about the delay in responding and thank you for your thoughts and advice. If there is no other way, so be it but it sounds hugely over-engineered to me. What exactly does the Module do?

Can you by-pass it and feed the battery current directly to the Angel side light which is not faulty?
It increases control and significantly reduces wiring...
Headlamp basically gets power & ground and signals across LIN BUS & CAN BUS.
There is also a signal wire from FRM in addition to the LIN signal from there.
See Pg 13 or Pg 1 of part 2.

(I had to split the PDF to get past the forums hideously small file size restrictions...)

View attachment F10_Headlamp-1.pdf
View attachment F10_Headlamp-2.pdf

Believe me, you do not want to go down road of 'bypassing' - more problems will be created unless you get very creative and further hassle when next light goes. Break out the wallet and get it done. Update the cars software while you're at it. Especially with the N47 engine.

·
Chuck Norris's Nemesis
965 Posts
Are these new generation modules not repairable. What is the root cause of the issue - broken solder, fried chip or something along those lines ?

Is it only the older cars' electronic modules - LCM's, Dash etc that are repairable ?

·
Registered
538 Posts
Are these new generation modules not repairable. What is the root cause of the issue - broken solder, fried chip or something along those lines ?

Is it only the older cars' electronic modules - LCM's, Dash etc that are repairable ?

Take a look at one - don't think they'll ever be repairable.
Early ones suffered from moisture ingress I think.
I've never opened one. A lot were replaced under warranty but that ship has sailed now

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 6 of 6 Posts