BMW-Driver.net Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As above iv been toying around with the idea of doing a conversion on an e46 318 and putting 330 engine, brakes and running gear into it. Iv done some research but a lot of it has been American cars and a Few English ones so I want to get info on Irish cars.

My main question is if I have the two cars sitting side by side, is it a simple bolt off- bolt on job? Any input is appreciated especially from anyone who's done similar conversions

·
made in Latvia
987 Posts
yes its is plug and play. if you have 2 cars than no problems at all
check my thread Indigais 318ci i make conversion 318i to 328i

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^ iv read it start to finish:D

I know there's a small issue with the clocks goin from 4cyl to 6 but other than that is there any other problems wiring wise? Will the complete loom from the 330 need to be fitted to the 318 ye?

·
made in Latvia
987 Posts
^ iv read it start to finish:D

I know there's a small issue with the clocks goin from 4cyl to 6 but other than that is there any other problems wiring wise? Will the complete loom from the 330 need to be fitted to the 318 ye?
clock problem is only e36 e46 works both clock.
only wiring from engine bay you need all its plug and play
ews and ecu need take from 330 as well

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what year is the 318 the m54b30 doesnt use a throttle cable

I havnt a 318 picked out yet but I'm hoping it'll be a 04/05 facelift. Am I right in saying the 318s use a system where the throttle cable goes to a motor attached to the throttle(rather than a traditional throttle cable) as opposed to the 330s fully electronic set up?

What's the best way around this problem? Just fit the full throttle set up from the 330?

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
if the cars have not been purchased yet id recommend just buying a 330ci from the beginning ,yep they use a system called drive by wire but if your using a newish 318 it wont effect you

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Would I be a millions miles off if I thought you wanted to do this conversion
so you have tax of a 318ci when your really driving a 330ci?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The reason I ask this question is I have access to a 330 that's absolutely eatin with rust and it's totally uneconomical to fix. Iv been mad after one for the last few months so I see this as a good way to go about getting one. Very high spec Msport 318CIs are easy come by and I can do all the work myself so if the conversion is as simple as it seems to be it strikes me as a no-brainer

·
Premium Member
3,737 Posts
The reason I ask this question is I have access to a 330 that's absolutely eatin with rust and it's totally uneconomical to fix. Iv been mad after one for the last few months so I see this as a good way to go about getting one. Very high spec Msport 318CIs are easy come by and I can do all the work myself so if the conversion is as simple as it seems to be it strikes me as a no-brainer
u gonna get two different cars and make one hybrid :rolleyes:,and it gonna be cheaper to fix as to get proper build one :confused: could U explain as i dont understand what u talking about :rolleyes:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
u gonna get two different cars and make one hybrid :rolleyes:,and it gonna be cheaper to fix as to get proper build one :confused: could U explain as i dont understand what u talking about :rolleyes:

In a word yes that's exactly what I'm thinking of doing.

And the 330 donor car is a low spec car in an awful colour that's been quoted in the region of 3k to repair. The owner has no interest in sinking that kinda money into it so iv the chance to pick up perfect engine and running gear for next to nothing.

@ gar I'm still doing the sums I do know the 1.8s hold value well over here that's exactly why I'm doing all my homework before I commit to anything.

·
Registered
150 Posts
nothing easier than swap from n42/n46 to m54

everything its almost plug and play.....

if u have two cars and u can take whatt u need ??? its just 5 days on ur own or with small help to do it right with service new bushings etc etc....

any questions ,, just ask

if u have 318 wwith m43 engine its more troulble with fitting throttle potentiometer ( acc pedal)

·
Registered
1 Posts
nothing easier than swap from n42/n46 to m54

everything its almost plug and play.....

if u have two cars and u can take whatt u need ??? its just 5 days on ur own or with small help to do it right with service new bushings etc etc....

any questions ,, just ask

if u have 318 wwith m43 engine its more troulble with fitting throttle potentiometer ( acc pedal)
Hey I’m having that problem now with the accelerator pedal (no response) any idea what I need to do?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts