BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

21 - 40 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
have ya still the origonal steering wheel?would it for sale?:)
No man, a lad in galway bought it a few weeks ago along with all the seats.

Need anything else?

Have standard headlights, original suspension, complete tool kit, handbrake, orginal air intake box all left here :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Should have kept that 328 exhaust intact...
They are worth good enough money for 323i owners.

Get off all that sound-proofing inside the car too ;)
Ah well I'll know for again! ;)

I keep putting off doing the sound proofing, the thoughts of it :mad:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Update time

Haven't updated this in long time, good bit done since last update :)

So i got the knuckles cut back, before and after pics below....

So I stuck on the wheels the lock has definately improved, 195/50/R15

It will lock even further but it is hitting the chasis so spacers will be got at some stage

Subframe reinforcement plates welded in place and primed

Hydraulic handbrake plumbed in, not the neatest of jobs but it's working well!

Subframe, diff and suspension back in place

How's she sitting after I got it out of the shed and for a run...

We took it for a few spins on the road, needed to be realigned, exhaust was blowing a bit and think there's still a bit of air in the brake lines so get that all sorted this week and we'll see where we can head for a bit of track time, happy with how it is for now, we'll take from here and see what else we'll do, jusy gonna enjoy it now for a while and learn a few things

Done a few bits to get ready for Mondello on the 6th, fitted a TRS tow strap on the front and just a towing eye on the back, fitted the passenger seat and harness, fitted a fire extinguisher and got a few stickers on. I also went and bought a trailer from Ken on here, happy with it. Better than going borrowing for one, few pics of it loaded up and ready for Mondello.

So I went to Mondello on Sunday, second time ever to attempt to drift and first time ever driving this car.

Few Lads from Leitrim said they’d meet me and we’d travel up together, sound lads and thanks for the help and advice, appreciated.

What a days craic I had, I said I’d take it handy but came to the first corner and put the boot down coming out of it and car stepped out lovely, I held it and that was it for the day, as the morning went on I started getting longer drifts, linking corners and getting to know when and where to use the handbrake. Brought the old fella out for a few runs and he thought he’d see the breakfast again!

The afternoon came and I kept pushing harder for more speed and got third a few times, then I ended up running wide and hit a tyre wall…

Thought damage was worse so I checked the car over and headed back out, coming on 4 in the afternoon and my arms and hands all seized up, I couldn’t hold the steering wheel or pull the handbrake! that’s how much track time we got. So I packed up and headed home, I’ve just been buzzing since, running over and over every part of the day…this is an addiction.

So overall it was just an epic first day out, big thanks to the lads from Leitrim and anyone else that gave me a bit of advice. Where to next???

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Good stuff on getting it on track! Looks great!

Is the ackermann taken out of the hubs too?
I've some fancy adjustable wishbones that will improve it even further or you could just fit some E46 alloy wishbones too :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Good stuff on getting it on track! Looks great!

Is the ackermann taken out of the hubs too?
I've some fancy adjustable wishbones that will improve it even further or you could just fit some E46 alloy wishbones too :)
thanks, nothing else done, just cut them, I'll probably just cut and extend the existing ones, cheap and cheerful.

just gonna get used to how it handles for a while then I'll see what else I'll do, next drift day is pallas karting on the 10th June, can't wait :D

·
BMW<honda
406 Posts
Looking sweat,You can not beat the mondello drift day some crack,Looking at the 3rd last picture is the diff welded or is she still a one wheeler peeler??

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Finally back with an update

I'm finally back with an update....

So first thing I done after mondello was a bit of panel beating, tasty job :eek:

Before.....

After.....

Then I stripped the boot and put on boot straps

Then I raised the bonnet a bit using rubber door stops, fitted bonnet pins and sprayed the grills matt black...

Gathered up some tyres and was all set for superdrift in Tynagh on the 10th June.

Some days craic was had, weather was class, went through a stack of tyres, car was great, drifting is improving , also got to bring the wife, mate and bro out for a spin and got the bro driving aswell so think he's got the bug now

Some pics from the day...:cool:

So that was it, she was parked up for a few months while myself and herself headed for OZ, NZ & Thailand.

Back now though and getting the car ready again for Tynagh on the 23rd September.

I'm looking out for a donor car to buy for parts.

Will any E36 be ok for parts or will I need to get a 325 or 328 to get matching parts like the drive shafts, diff, subframe etc??? :confused:

Also, whats the best engine oil for drifting, 15w60??

Can't wait to get back out in this again. :cool:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Looking sweat,You can not beat the mondello drift day some crack,Looking at the 3rd last picture is the diff welded or is she still a one wheeler peeler??
No lad, it's welded, I was in the middle of spinning out, think I must have seen the smoke machine coming behind me and shit myself!! :D

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Update and question!

So done a bit of ripping the last few evenings, air con delete done, have all the bits there if anyone is looking for some parts.

Removed all the bits from under the dash also, not a nice job :mad:

Just need to get rid of some of the wires and tidy it up a bit.

Ended up removing the water valve (3 water pipes coming from it that went into the heating radiator under the dash),

I assume I can just join up the engine flow and return pipes now thats its removed??? :confused:

Could admin move this whole thread to the project car section?

·
Banned
71 Posts
Here's a couple of things you should do cut the boot out of it maybe take the tank out and mount a fuel cell in the back of the car better option for drifting also bike carbs would release a bit more power from the lump and will sound the mutts nutts nearly just as good as injection throttle bodies very responsive unlike the webber or dellorto carbs which are a bit lazy in my opinion

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Head Gasket F**ked

head gasket is gone in the car :mad::mad::(

looking for a bit of advice, :confused:

to fix or get a new engine? Approx Cost to fix? Anyone recommend somebody to do the job?

thinking about getting a new engine, possibly m3 if I can find one at the right money.

opinions please lads? :)

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
M52 engine I think this one is it ? If so then doing the gasket is a bit of a no no. even to do it correctly if it can be done will be well over €600. Best bet is to swap her out fella. I think tomas has a 28 lump for sale

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
I would have thought doing the head gasket was the simple solution.... If you knew someone who was fairly competent to give you a hand you'd have it done in no time...

·
He who dares, wins!
2,525 Posts
You will have to helicoil the block to be sure of an m52 as they are fond of stripping threads. Add that to the price of a head set/skim and labour and you have a good engine bought. Swap it out, it's quicker in the long run.

Edit: if you are swapping it out pick up an m50b25, they are a far better engine and a lot more suited to what you need it for.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Yeah don't think I'll be chancing doing the head.
Any other engine options other than from an e36?
Anything from a 5 series or others?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Haven't updated this in a while....

Got a few nice deliveries this week....

Driftworks alu rad and electric fan

25mm spacers....see how it sits when they are on, might sell them if I'm not happy

Flywheel is getting lightened, control arms are extended, lock spacers done also, E28 diff sourced hopefully, getting there

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Extended control arms and washers fitted along with 25mm spacers all round, nice bit of caster on the front and sitting good bit wider than it was, also fitted the steering rack €2 spacers, good lock now

Put in the polycarb rear window, need to finish the driver and passenger windows this week

Got these fake mirrors for nothing and sprayed them silver, they'll do rightly

M3 front bumper bought, and also twin cherry bomb exhaust also on the way. digital temp gauge also to be fitted.

Going for its engine swap at the weekend, hopefully.

Anyone any links to reasonbly priced upgraded engine mounts or should I bother upgrading them?

Anything else I should do when the engine is out?

21 - 40 of 186 Posts