BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's one that turned out to be a lot tougher than I anticipated... and just to boot, the photos I took were at the wrong setting, so this is a short write-up for the amount of work! LOL:eek:

It was raining when I got the car back to the workshop, so I began with the engine detail. Trigger-spray APC all over, brush it in and then I steam-cleaned the grunge off.

Then I liberally sprayed a 3:1 solution of PERL over the plastics and left it to dry in...

Next, I pulled the car down under the bright lights for an inspection of the paint. It was worse than I thought...:eek:

The scratches seemed to be as deep as 400 grit and worse in some places. Also, I don't know how it got there, but there was even pig-tail damage from where somebody used a rotary just under the petrol-cap area.:mad:

Nothing for it... sand-paper and discs in to soak while I prep the car.

No prepping pics as they didn't come out very well! So here's what a lot of the paint needed...

Having done all the polishing, I came in the next morning and decided there was something not quite right with the overall look. It took me a minute but then decided it was the trim and seals. They just looked old. So time for some quick cosmetic surgery with a 2-stage trim restore and CQuartz coating on the paint...these are sort of 50/50 pics of the dye being applied to the seals.:)

Next up, the interior. It wasn't too bad, just needing a general tidy up, vacuum, shampoo extraction and steam-sanitising. :)

Mats were vac'd, shampoo'd and steamed as well. That worn patch in the drivers mat was annoying me though...;)

With that bit of patching up done, and the interior dried, it was time to coat the inside thoroughly with So2Pure to keep generating fresh oxygen.

Only 4 after-shots! Sorry, John..:eek:

Thanks for reading guys. Sorry it was a bit disjointed!

Brian

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Fantastic results - car looks smashing

As a word of warning to all - the scratches were mainly caused by car being washed at an attended car wash each week for about 18 months and the odd car park valet. I was working 6 days a week so never got a chance to do it over that time. The damaged caused is amazing to see.
Glad you didn't try to blame the paint damage on Deirdre! :D

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I knew it was bad before I dropped it down to you but didn't realise how bad it was until now! Thanks for all the work on it.

As a word of warning to all - the scratches were mainly caused by car being washed at an attended car wash each week for about 18 months and the odd car park valet. I was working 6 days a week so never got a chance to do it over that time. The damaged caused is amazing to see.

Thanks Brian.
John
Thanks John. Thanks a lot for that challenge ... :rolleyes: lol!

·
E30 Mad
1,106 Posts
Some Turn Around Brian Fair Play:cool:

How long Did that Process take??

Must Buzz you for a chat about the cQuartz its fairly Intersting:D

·
2007 LCI E60 535d MSport
4,722 Posts
Brian whats the approx cost of getting this done?
E39 Saloon.

including the interior steam and co2 treatment etc etc

PM obviously ;)

·
Premium Member
3,788 Posts
That aul yoke looks familiar alright, jesus never realised the paint was so bad on it. I must have washed it with a brillo pad at some stage :D

Great work Brian!

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Some Turn Around Brian Fair Play:cool:

How long Did that Process take??

Must Buzz you for a chat about the cQuartz its fairly Intersting:D
Feens, long time no hear. :) Think I spent 3 long days on John's car.

Give me a shout sometime. That would be great indeed.

You would love the CQuartz. Its a bit tricky in application, but you're well used to finding your way around car paint, so I've no doubt you'd find it a breeze to work with.

Good to see you are still knocking swirls out of the park as well. Keep up the good work. Use a bit more tar remover though... saves the clay!! :p

Brian whats the approx cost of getting this done?
E39 Saloon.

including the interior steam and co2 treatment etc etc

PM obviously ;)
Keith, PM sent. Thanks. :)

That aul yoke looks familiar alright, jesus never realised the paint was so bad on it. I must have washed it with a brillo pad at some stage :D

Great work Brian!
So YOU gave me that stress headache... :p Many thanks. :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
I knew it was bad before I dropped it down to you but didn't realise how bad it was until now! Thanks for all the work on it.

Thanks Brian.
John
Jesus thats mental. Some damage form the car wash man. I think as well that they probably never change the brushes they use. Was in a local filling station there a coupke of weeks ago and seen a lad getting an 11 520d washed. Yer man was dipping this brush into a cut down blue drum. The water was filthy in it and prob full of grit as well. I always wash mine here at home but the water here is loaded with lime. Gonna get one of them big tanks in the cage and catch the rainwater off the roof of me shed to use for washing the car. Great job on your car though John. he left it spotless

·
Quattro Representative
2,187 Posts
Great work as always.

Word of warning if you intend to use rainwater then filter it first. Plenty of info on detailing world but straightforward rain water is full of gunk and contaminants

1 - 13 of 13 Posts