BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I'm new to this forum and dont (yet) own a BMW.

In fact, thats why I'm writing. I am looking at buying a BMW 520d (2008) which had a new engine fitted last year (now has 15k miles) after the previous owner flooded the engine driving through a deep puddle.

I was wondering whether there is any advice you might offer before parting with my money? Am I being a bit naive to think that new engine means almost new car? Could there be other damage/consequences caused by the flooding that I need to be aware of?

I appreciate you taking the time to offer your advice.

Regards

Derek

·
I'm a 2 wheel man really
2,180 Posts
Must have been very deep, is the air intake at the kidney grills on these, so water was at least up to the bonnet, did water get into the cabin of the car at all?

·
Cruise Control Always On
627 Posts
Couple of things..

The air intake on the 520d (5-Series) is the lowest point on the front of the car, same height as the spot lights...so it doesn't take much water to completely f3ck up the engine.

The issue long term is not with the engine replacement, but the airbag sensors, they will either go off premature, or worse still...not at all after an accident. the sensors will get destroyed over time with flood water because they never really dry out.

If the car has not been re-insured since the engine replacement due to the flood, you should inform your insurance company who will ask for an engineers report to declare the car roadworthy. (due to the airbag sensor issues, they insurance company may not want to insure it).

The car is now only worth a fraction of a road worthy option, unless you are getting it for a good price, its probably not worth it. thinking down the road,
how much would you expect to get for it if you start having electrical issues and want to trade it in.

thanks

Reactions: foxey

·
F10 530d M Sport
1,011 Posts
There are plenty of used 2008 520d out there to choose from, why bother taking a chance on this one?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts