BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Inspect-Correct-Perfect
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Here's a 9 year old 530d over from UK for a bit of polishing & coating with CQuartz. Forgive the lack of photos, but this one needed my full attention so process wasn't really logged in pictures.

As always, treatment started with a full paint detox, beginning with the Acid-Neutraliser applied via foam gun to remove dirt, grime, road-film, waxes, sealants, and other acidic contaminants.

Process continued as follows:
Rinsed, dried, tar removed, Wheels cleaned with Megs Brightener and Decontaminated with Iron X.

Wheels turned out to be scuffed and badly corroded with brakedust, so not worth dwelling on befores and afters.

Next stage, Alkaline Neutraliser Wash, Rinse, Clay cleansing treatment of paint and glass, rinse and final stage wash down with pH 7 shampoo.

The car was dried with a plush MF towel and compressed air.

I've polished a good few 5 series in the past few weeks but this one from 2002 had extremely hard paint so after experimenting with pads and polishes, I decided that friendliest way to polish this car would be to use a 4000grit sanding disc (or 10!) on the PC.

Left the discs to soak while I took care of a few other niggly bits then began with the bootlid. Extreme close up - the level of damage was revealed once the detox removed filler and sealant applied during the last valet in the UK.

Started off sanding using the cross-hatch technique over half the lid. Once I had an even coverage with the disc, I changed machines.

I removed the sanding haze with a lambswool pad and 3M FCP. Because the paint was so hard, I switched over to a Meguiars Foam polishing pad with the same 3M FCP and finished down nicely, ready for finishing and jewelling....

.... but not before the rest of the lid was sanded and polished.

Wing looked like it was already sanded...

Sanded...

polished...

Because CQuartz was being applied, the glass also was polished..

3M polish is really dusty so I used the Tornador on all the badges, crevices, etc, to remove the powder before taking the car outside for another wash.

Back inside for a gentle drying and wipe-down with IPA/Detergent Mix to remove any oils left from the polishes. Then the Engine was dressed with CarPro PERL - one of the best water-based dressings I have used. Better than 303! Cheaper as well ;)

The coating was applied and IR cured. After the two coats, I took a minute to stand back and appreciate the gloss from CQuartz before taking the car out for pics.

When paint is badly scratched and swirled, polishing can have the effect of burnishing and flattening down the dead surface paint so you get a nice gloss. But its much better to remove a microscopic layer by wet-sanding to reveal some fresh paint underneath. The gloss is way better. 4000 grit discs removes only a tiny amount of paint so its a safe process, albeit a little more expensive.

Thanks for reading. If you have any questions, don't hesitate... ;)

Brian

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
wow :eek: that came up 1st class it looks brand new ,that iron x does that remove tar from the wheels just by spraying it on and leaving it for a few minutes

·
Inspect-Correct-Perfect
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wow :eek: that came up 1st class it looks brand new ,that iron x does that remove tar from the wheels just by spraying it on and leaving it for a few minutes
Not tar... tar needs naphtha or white spirit-based solvents to safely remove it. Iron X has an active ingredient that specifically targets metallic particles. That's when it runs purple. You can use it on paint as well, so any of you guys with Brembo or equivalent systems would find this an invaluable bottle to have.;)

Cheers for the question though. :)

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
Not tar... tar needs naphtha or white spirit-based solvents to safely remove it. Iron X has an active ingredient that specifically targets metallic particles. That's when it runs purple. You can use it on paint as well, so any of you guys with Brembo or equivalent systems would find this an invaluable bottle to have.;)

Cheers for the question though. :)
thanks for the reply i just asked because im getting very small specs on the dish of my wheels maybe it is just brake dust :confused: i tried getting it off with the claybar to no avail there polished is well so i dont want to go to mad on them

·
E39 525i M-Sport
417 Posts
Wicked :cool:
I need to get my car over to ya to see what you recommend doing.

·
Doktor Displacement
4,738 Posts
Great job that.

Where did you get the 4000 grit pads for the DA.

I have to do my mates mini. It was rubbed down with 1000 grit after paint before it was compounded.

So the marks from the 1000 grit was never buffed out.

I have loads of 2000 grit here for the sanding block but none for the DA. Figured I'd need alot finer sanding discs/paper.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
You did a lovely job there mate.

How much manual labour did it take to get her shiney after flat sanding it? and What sort of polishes are you using with the polisher.

Id love to have the time to do something like that to my car. :)

·
2002 520i M-Sport
694 Posts
Saw this in the metal the last day when out talking to Brian, It looked even better than the photos above!! Amazing work!

My car looked a right state compared to it, poor thing.

S.

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
This is what my 535d needs badly. I may contact you soon about
getting it done.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts