BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi , having problem with my 2007 535d lci
It cut out in the city yesterday just as I was pulling away from traffic lights . The engine just shut down and gear lever went to N by itself
When I tried to start it again it just turned over
Then I tried to take the key out and back in and it started fine no problem..
I got about another 3 miles and the same thing happened while I was driving in 4th gear
Tried key thing again and fine ?
So I pulled in at garage and let it idle and every few minutes I noticed there is a slight miss in the engine , I'm thinking injectors or fuel delivery problem
Any advice much appreciated ?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay now she is gone altogether ?
Went To start it this morning and everything fine for about 10 mins and then it stops.
Now it will only start and run for 5-10 seconds and shut down no warning lights or anything .
So needless to say I have no car now ? please help

·
2007 LCI E60 535d MSport
4,722 Posts
You really need someone to plug in a computer and see what codes are produced.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Al,

Sounds like a fuel starvation problem, did you change the filter when you bought her? Did you run it with the fuel level almost empty lately? The fact that she's not throwing a CEL would steer you away from things like crank position sensors etc. As kceire says you need to get her plugged in to be sure of the cause. Let me know how you get on!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ye have her booked in on Tuesday morning for diagnostics.
I'm going to check injectors today and filter .
Christy ye she was running low on fuel lately and the filter wasn't changed while in my possession . Do ye think I should change it ?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Personally it's something I change when I get a car, regardless of when it was last changed.I suppose to be fair it would be better to hold off until after Tuesday when you get her plugged in. Bavarian care has a good point with the EKP module as well, if the relay starts sticking it automatically shuts off the fuel flow. Hopefully it's as simple as a relay, or just blocked filter/fuel lines.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ye I read up somewhere the contacts on module corrode and can cause an intermittent fault
Giving same symptoms as me. It must be fuel injection issue, My gut feeling is fuel pump
Or injectors ? ah well just when I had the car perfect after changing all seals on turbo boost hoses ,oil service, brake discs and pads, new wiper arm , new xenon lamps , alloys refurbished , detailed, Cic retrofit , new tyres .......... This goes and happens ..

I guess that's why I love BMWs ???⛽??

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay bit of an update , I took the inlet manifold off today to see if I could get at the injectors to test them. When I measured the resistance across injector 1 2 3 5 6 they were all 181k ohms as per manufactures spec but injector 4 was reading 35k ohms and would rise slowly , also around the contacts on 4 there was moisture like diesel which was not on any others.
Surely this is my problem right ? , diagnostics should confirm that.

If indeed this is the problem will I need to get a new injector coded and would one from a breakers do or am I better sticking with main dealer ?

·
2007 LCI E60 535d MSport
4,722 Posts
Okay bit of an update , I took the inlet manifold off today to see if I could get at the injectors to test them. When I measured the resistance across injector 1 2 3 5 6 they were all 181k ohms as per manufactures spec but injector 4 was reading 35k ohms and would rise slowly , also around the contacts on 4 there was moisture like diesel which was not on any others.
Surely this is my problem right ? , diagnostics should confirm that.

If indeed this is the problem will I need to get a new injector coded and would one from a breakers do or am I better sticking with main dealer ?
Sounds like your fairly handy so I'd buy them in the motor factors and fit myself. Hard to source second hand and you never know when that ones gona go too quite expensive.

Did you double check the physical wiring to the injectors? On my old 530d it turned out to be a crease in the wire to injector.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ye kceire I had a look at the wiring alright , I was hoping it would be simple fix. I'm not sure if motor factors would do them for 535 , I believe they are uprated from 530d ones even though same engine , maybe otto will do them.
Still I'm baffled why engine shutting down with one faulty injector .

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay update . Diagnostics confirmed injector number 4 coil is faulty so apparently the bosch piezo injectors cannot be reconditioned so new one ordered from DSL in glasnevin for €250 + vat . Hopefully that resolves the issue .
injector was an absolute b##ch to get out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the EXACT same problem with my 535D.
What was the fault?

The injector could not probably not cause total enginestall so my guess is fuelpump or EKP..

Please reply!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hi as far as I know the faulty injector DID cause the engine to shut down in Alan's case. Have you had a diagnostic scan done on your car yet?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi apologies for late reply, have not been on in a while.

Yes the single faulty injector caused the engine to cut out apparently a safety feature so not to damage the engine.
Really need diagnostics done.
Hope you got sorted. PM sent..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Old thread but if I ended up here, someone else might. My E61 535d just put me through the same experience and thinking as above. Car shuts down irrespective of whether you're footling on a B road or hurtling down the motorway, and there is no dashboard indication of an engine problem - it just puts itself in neutral and will not allow the engine to be restarted until you remove and replace the key. In my case I had carly app on my phone, and bluetooth OBD adapter, which came up with fault on Injector #5. Because the fault 'felt' so electrical in nature and was intermittent allowing 3 or 4 half hour journeys without issue I initially suspected wiring but I bought a new injector and booked the garage just in case. A day or two before it was due to go in, and no sign of the fault I started to convince myself it was caused by driving damp getting into injector loom/electrics (we had a LOT of rain and flooding before the fault appeared) and was considering cancelling garage and sending back injector. Lucky for me the car suddenly died again, and would start but not allow me to drive more that 6 feet before cutting out. Took 10 goes to get it into a safe parking position. Tow truck. Garage. £450 total bill. Now running happily. I have the old injector and plan to check resistance reading and see if pin hole nozzles are blocked in order to guess whether any of the other 5 are going to cause me to take manifold off any time soon. Hope this helps someone.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts