BMW-Driver.net Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Flying low ....
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, it's been around for a while, but I thought, I post a wee few pictures up and start a build thread, because I'm far from where I want to be :)

Some time mid 2009, I got an offer to buy this E39 M5 and trade my 525tds in on it. And while there were some issues with the car and others appeared before the car was handed over, the price and the spec were something I couldn't resist.

The car is a pre-facelift car, but there where a few upgrades, some that I knew about and some that I only found out later on.

The obvious things are OEM angel eyes, 16:9 navigation, upgraded grey dials and the ac schnitzer exhaust system. The stuff that I only found out about later on are things like stiffer non-oem springs.

I got the car handed over with a bust driveshaft and a bust rear diff, things which weren't bust when the deal was made. So the repair of that was paid of the purchase price. Handy enough for me, as who would have known, when they would have fallen apart later on. Also, the car having 126k miles on the clock, a certain amount wear and tear was to be expected.

I'm at 152k miles now (18 months later, 26k miles extra on the clock) and pretty confident, that most of the gremlins are gone. Oil consumption is less than most others. Around 1 liter per 900-1000 miles.

A few things still annoy me though. While the screen was upgraded from 4:3 to 16:9, BMW didn't tell the owner at the time, that he also needed to upgrade the video module. Or they overlooked that fact. So randomly (annoyingly most often), my screen will initialize in 4:3. With newer video modules, this can be set in the settings, but with the first two partnumbers, it's not possible.

I've also replaced both front shocks, the clutch (known issue to die every 50-70k miles), one of the cps sensors, the oil temperature sensor, the crankshaft sensor and because of a leak in the replacement diff, that wasn't spotted in time, had to replace the diff again. Does it break my heart ? No.

Mods, that have been completed already
* LED tinted rear lights
* Yellow stuff brake pads
* TEC cupholder, because BMW's canholders definatly don't keep the coffee in place on M5 accelleration
* upgrade of radio from BM24 to BM54
* iBus module for car-computer integration
* cabling for aux-in, video-in and video-out
* removed the TrafficMaster tracker and replaced with a generic one.
* installed a coin holder in the driver door
* installed an electric sunblind in the rear window
* upgrade of Nav from Mk2 to Mk4, replaced Mk4 drive internals with new ones.
* replaced of the video module to fix the initialization issue
* AUX AV-in cabling for lap-timer/phone display use.
* led bulbs for the angel eyes
* BMW Performance Brakes front (Brembo 6-pot)
* Goodridge braided brakelines
* ATE super blue racing brake fluid

Mods, that I've still in the plans
* Yatour digital CD-changer to replace the dying BMW CD-changer
* retrofit OEM front+rear PDC
* retrofit of OEM bluetooth kit
* rear diff change from 3.15 to 3.63
* CNS racing clutch
* Van Manen x-pipe, race-cats and manifold
* ESS Supercharger
* Interior change to black heritage interiour (still on the search)

I also need to get my alloys refurbished, fix my front bumper (which encountered a collision with a fox a warm summernight in June, when I was in Denmark), and get the stonechips fixed in my bonnet and right front wing. Some of the other body parts have already been repainted.

The mods todo list is something, I'm going to tackle one by one. Especially, because I have to make sure, that every other issue is sorted before the charger goes in and also, it would be a good plan to have clutch and brake kit bedded in before that, too.

I had the beast on the dyno this summer, and with 95 octane, 145k miles on the clock and 11 years on it's back it was putting out 366 bhp, so looks pretty healthy to me.

Anyhow, updates will follow.

/M

·
Flying low ....
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:eek: What sort of power would this add?
Well, without the change of diff (which is going to happen before), it'll be around 550 bhp and 650 Nm total at an optimum. However, the diff will add to the torque figure.

Let's say, it's going to be a tyre shreading animal and it's easily outperforming the E60/E61 M5's and E63/E64 M6's.

The charger runs around 8 psi.

/M

·
Flying low ....
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
will you have to upgrade the clutch at all ?? can the gearbox and diff take it ??
ESS is running stock clutches, fresh ones though, but as we all know, even the stock OEM clutch is one of the weakpoints of the M5 and I have other mods like the changed diff ratio on the list, thus the CNS racing clutch on my todo list.

Gearbox and Diff should take the abuse no problem. There's an article in Total BMW (January one, only spotted it today) about Kumarans beast. He's one of the guys I met in May for the Nürburgring trip. He's still running stock clutch and putting out around 600 bhp, coming from a combination of race-cat's, special manifold and x-pipe (which gives about 42 bhp), a special remap by ESS taking shell vmax into account and the ESS supercharger.

I reckon, he'll probably also go for something uprated clutch-wise, when it goes the next time. The wear on the OEM clutch will probably just be accellerated from the charger.

/M

·
Transmission.ie
641 Posts
Will the SC run well on standard internals? Or will ya need to forge it?

Tidy E39, I love them in that colour

·
Flying low ....
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
with all the speed vans now in action:eek:
It's not about speed. It's about torque. Matter of fact, by changing the rear diff, my top speed will be decreased from 300 km/h top to around 280 km/h max, resulting in more torque.

The car is still normally drivable with the modifications, but for track use and I'm also yearly in continental Europe, so I get a fair bit of german Autobahn milage, I definatly will have the fun of enjoying it.

None of the mods increase the speed of the car, as that's limited by the ratio's in the gearbox. The engine is as such already at it's limit with 7100 rpm max limit.

Will the SC run well on standard internals? Or will ya need to forge it?
The charger is designed and tested to run on standard internals without requiring engine upgrades. I might look into new pistonrings and an overhaul, while I'm at it though.

/M

·
Flying low ....
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Picked up this today

Electric rolling curtain for the rear window and new control-module for the front, that on top of the curtain button also has the PDC button, so that I now can retrofit front PDC (on top of the rear PDC I already have).

/M

·
Flying low ....
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Before you go adding more power or increasing limiter I'd suggest new con-rod shell bearings.
Yep, that would be part of the overhaul of the engine. I'm aware, that it can be a good plan for high milage beasts.

I've imposed a limit on my own of 6,500 and only when fully, fully, fully warm...
Ah, there's no need to redline the M5 in daily life really and as for track days and the likes, obviously it's always a good plan to ensure the car is warm before pushing it.

enjoy! but I can see you will anyway!!
You can bet on that.

/M

·
Flying low ....
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
M5 failed the NCT a couple days ago on rear tyres (at the limit and one just being over the limit), a missing anti-rollbar bushing and the center brake light being out.

Nothing serious, but still, something that needs to be fixed. So I've been at it today.

This is how the bracket for the anti-rollbar bushing looked like:

The bushing obviously gone due to bracket being broken.

This is how it's supposed to look (and how it looks after i fitted the replacement):

I also did the permanent installation and re-wiring of the gps tracker, paid the tax on the car for another few months, replaced the bulb for the center brake light, replaced the tweeter in the drivers door as it was scratty, fitted the coin-holder in the door, while I had the doorcard out, took the suction cup holder for the Roadhawk out and put the permanently glued holder in, installed the new rearshelf with motorized sunblind.

All I need to do now, is to finalize the wiring from the sunblind to the already fitted front panel.

The panel I installed a few days ago:

Re-test is tomorrow.

/M

·
I hate having no car :(
1,731 Posts
been a busy boy

1 - 20 of 38 Posts