BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll apolgise in advance if this has come up before - If it has I haven't seen it.

Basically, I'm looking to get my Z3M Coupe serviced and was looking to drop into AC for a chat and to possibly arrange a service if I was happy with them. Was driving passed last Friday so pulled into the carpark and a sign on the door said that business has ceased.

I am anxious to get a full service on the car - all filters, fluids etc etc and want it done right.

Personally I don't rate main dealers as in my experience they just pass the work down the foodchain to the apprentices yet charge full whack and are well prone to oversights and ultimate damage to the car which may have been avoided by an element of preventative maintenance which could be picked up on by an experienced mechanic.

I also want someone who has experience with the S50 engine in my M Coupe (i.e. the same as the e36 M3 Evo).

Can anyone recommend the best indy in the Dublin area - I'm based on the southside.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
or try conor over in scullys comes very highly regarded on this site there garage is in clontarf and im sure he's worked on a few m3's at this stage

·
Premium Member
8,665 Posts
I would recommend Chelmsford Motors on Chelmfords lane in Ranelagh, it is run by Tommy and Gary Doyle and Gary is ex bmw M&G and did a lot of the engine rebuilds etc on the M3's and really knows his stuff and his rates are reasonable as well, can't belive youo were going to let others near your car as not trained by bmw or anything

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
Would also recommend Conor in scullys and have also heard good things about chelmsford but have had no dealings with them personally.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Never nice to see a business fail, hope all the staff find employment elsewhere soon, and that their creditors get paid. Just moved to new premises too....curious anyone with the inside line...gossip?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Wow thanks for posting this thread. I have (had) my car booked in with them for friday and wouldn't have known they were closed - I would have wasted a trip down for nothing!

Any chance chelmsford, scullys or beemerchris could fit me in at such late notice? (Gonna ring tomorrow)

It's to get the engine looked at re: oil burn (seals I think).

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
It was on the cards for a while I'd imagine. When I was having the respray done on the 323i, I actually paid the balance on it around Christmas because they were short on cash to pay wages. In hindsight, shouldn't have paid a penny up front but thats life - especially when the car was thrown back at me in the state it was in.

Their reputation had just disappeared - whether it was making bookings for cars they actually had no time to work on, or having people sitting around for hours for quick work, or allegedly charging for replaced parts that they didn't actually replace, or offering to fit bits which they weren't technically capable of (and then charging for it), and just charging dealer prices for what they did.

Most guys I know had an issue with them at some stage, and started using Chelmsford ages ago, and Scullys as well. I only stopped using them after the respray debacle - even though I'd had plenty of problems in the past. Really hope some of the lads like Richie get sorted though.

Anyway - as mentioned, have used Chelmsford and Scullys myself and would recommend them both.

·
Quattro Representative
2,187 Posts
Sad to hear anyone losing there jobs at any time, I hope the lads find work elsewhere.

I only ever had one dealing and wasnt impressed by the attitude (before they became a big outfit) of the owner and his approach so never went back

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
i always liked richie and al and to be fair they always looked after me, however i was using them less because they were too expensive, Gary in chelmsford is a top man and very reasonable, ditto Scullys and Beemerchris, would have no issue recommending any of them

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
My only experience with them was when they inspected Mrs D's old 318Ci a few years ago for the subsequent purchaser. Was impressed by Al's enthusiasm and they did give the car a good going through.

I suppose its inevitable that as businesses "mature", especially ones that are founded on the skill or reputation of an individual, they take on more overheads, more staff etc. and its harder for the founder to keep control of business, service levels, standards, etc. It also inevitably means that they get gradually more expensive. If price (or value) was a factor in their earlier success then that will always lead to customer leakage. That was an appropriate kind of business plan for a different era.

·
I play drums
266 Posts
Sad to hear this.

Was always impressed with Alan and the guys up there. Never had a problem with the work done on my cars.

My wife runs her own business, and I can see what's involved, and from that side, I was impressed with Alan, especially with the moves to the bigger places.

Tough environment out there for SME's.

I wish them all the best of luck.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts