BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an e46 320d for less than 2 weeks now.......

I knew the rad had a wee crack when I bought the car as it was leaking, no bother so, picked up a new one and went to fit it at weekend.

At same time I was advised to change serpentine belts, as never get as good access at them with rad & fan out. So we did.

All went fine, belts and rad changed with no problems.

It seems I was sold the wrong belts, as later on after a drive, the fcuking belts came off, and took out the crank pulley and bolt with it :eek:

As the pic will show, the crank pulley bolt is cross-threaded near the top, and a small bit of metal filings are on the undertray :mad:

The pic below is what greeted me when I popped the bonnet. It came loose on its own and just popped out.

Am I in real shit here?

Attachments

·
In the HAUS
3,523 Posts
Im gonna be honest, that looks nasty.

if there's metal filings and the bolt thread is damaged, the threads in the crankshaft are probably damaged.

if i were you i`d find a bolt with same thread or buy new one and screw it in see if the threads are ok before you do anything.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
The crank shaft is very hard compared to the bolt so ya might be lucky and only have a problem with the bolt.
Either way, I'd be careful with where ya go from here, ya don't wanna be making it any worse. Order a new bolt and clean out the hole with a tap and die set before installing. make sure its spotless and trial fit without belts. Did you not measure up the belt with the old one to see if there is really any difference? it would have to be seriously tight to break like that, unless ya loosened the crank pulley before hand to try get the belt on?

·
In the HAUS
3,523 Posts
I'd also completely remove the front panel and radiator to get decent access to it so you can see exactly what your doing.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the good news is I had a better feel around and look last night, and the threads inside the crank seem ok and consistent :)

Although I can see a tiny bit of damage at the start of the thread, pics will show.

Most of the damage is on the crank bolt, I'm hoping from when it popped out.

if there's metal filings and the bolt thread is damaged, the threads in the crankshaft are probably damaged.
There wasn't even a hint of metal filings in the crank, so I think I'm really in luck.

Did you not measure up the belt with the old one to see if there is really any difference? it would have to be seriously tight to break like that, unless ya loosened the crank pulley before hand to try get the belt on?
We measured the belts up against each other beforehand, visually very similar. And was sold them by a reputable motor factors in Galway so trusted them.

We didn't loosen the crank pulley before fitting.

Couple more pics attached of thread and pulley

Attachments

·
!"£$%^&*
850 Posts
Whats wrong with the pulley and washer? Just get a new bolt in BMW. Why do you say the belt caused the pulley bolt to come loose??? I'd say its more of a coincidence that it happened soon after you changed the belt.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Whats wrong with the pulley and washer? Just get a new bolt in BMW.
I'm not sure, I didn't want to put a potentially damaged pulley back on the car.

I know it's not the crank side, but will the little chunk taken out of the web on the pic above not be helpful?

The pulley feels fine, I just didn't want to risk it.

I'm picking up a new oem bolt tomorrow.

Why do you say the belt caused the pulley bolt to come loose??? I'd say its more of a coincidence that it happened soon after you changed the belt.
Because I found out the belt sold to me was 7mm too short.

It had 6pk 2083 on it, BMW said it should've been 2090 in length.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And even better news, I picked up a crank bolt from BMW (part no: 11237790922) and a quick trial saw it thread back in fine :)

But when I was talking to them in BMW Motorpark in Galway, I showed them the pulley and they said it was the correct pulley, but that part number was discontinued. Part number on mine was: 11237793882

Before I order a new one, can someone confirm that the correct replacement is 11237805696?

BMW Motorpark wouldn't tell me the correct part number :rolleyes:

·
Registered
27 Posts
BMW Motorpark wouldn't tell me the correct part number :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Their attitude is you dont need to know it or you can have it once you order and pay for it.
Meant to say who were you dealing with in there? Some REAL helpful fellas in there...not

Did you try a couple of other dealers? Otto in Liosban or realoem I think it is?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
BMW Motorpark wouldn't tell me the correct part number :rolleyes:

Their attitude is you dont need to know it or you can have it once you order and pay for it.
Meant to say who were you dealing with in there? Some REAL helpful fellas in there...not

Did you try a couple of other dealers? Otto in Liosban or realoem I think it is?
Joey I think his name was? I ordered one online, a genuine BMW one.

That's the one, cheers Gar :)

·
Site Sponsor
1,966 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cheers for the help folks, got it done at weekend, so she's back on the road :D

Fcukin hell though, tough bloody job getting that torque :eek:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts