BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinkig of going for one of these, Wondering if anybody has experince with one good or bad. Some real mpg figures would be nice, I do a lot of motorway miles and I've heard they can do around 35mpg on long runs with cruis on. Anything to watch out for one going for a spin, presume the chain issue isn't present on these engines.

Cheers.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hi Bryan - common issues on 335i when I was last looking at them seemed to be turbos, waterpump and fuel pump. Mpg should be 30-35 on easy driving mid to low 20s driving it on.
I opted for an e92 330d that came up for sale at the time as I cover around 20k a year - mine shows a mixed average of 44.5mpg over the last 18mths so it's good on juice - real life example is I'm just back from Wexford to charleville on €16 of diesel to rebrim tank.
mines for sale now if you wanted to try the 6cyl diesel (see the for sale section - shameless plug !) - if you haven't tried the 3.0d in the e92 it's a great combination of power and economy and very reliable.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've been driving a 07 335i for the past 4 years. The MPG according to the trip computer is 28.2MPG. I do a lot of motorway miles and don't drive it too hard (your Honor).

As far as owning one is concerned, there fantastic. The power is unreal (I came from an E46 325ci) and its a real wolf in sheep's clothing. You can park it anywhere and no one bats an eyelid.

Running costs are high as with any performance motor (or BMW for that matter). A set of Goodyear Potenza runflats are €1K and other issues are expensive to fix.

I get it serviced from a reputable Indy and its usually around €250-€350 to service as I get the oil changed every year.

So far I've replaced the radiator (coolant leak), rear suspension and springs, diff gasket, MULF unit (repaired this at a cost of €200 as a replacement from BMW was €900) and the driver's control unit. A rough estimate was about €3,000 to €3500 over the last couple of years.

It's going in tomorrow for the transmission gasket to be replaced, the aircon fan to be replaced, gasket kit for the oil filter and the steering to be checked as there's a small whine on full lock. I'm not expecting change from €1000 after this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts