BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The pin that connects the clutch pedal to the master cylinder snapped off today and I'm going to replace the pedal tomorrow... a common problem apparently :mad: I've heard the pedal can be a bit of a b1tch to get off. Anyone ever replaced one or any tips before I go at it?

Car is a '01 525i and if anyone has one for sale in Galway send me a pm.

Cheers.

·
Taking no shit since 1998
768 Posts
I've done it in other model BMWs and its as simple as removing a clip and pin, then dropping the complete pedal to the floor, no major hassle but you'll need to remove some trim around the underside of the dash to gain access.

EDIT: Exactly as I thought. Remove clip no 7 and slide the pedal off, use a wee bit of copper grease to help refit it as they do get tight.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply including the diagram. I have the trim off already and it doesn't look too bad, I had just heard on another forum that you had to loosen the pedal box to create enough space to slide the clutch pedal off.

I'll go at it in the morning when I have a bit of light. Anyone have an idea on the price of a pedal from the dealers? I may have sourced a second hand one but won't know until tomorrow if it's from a model with cruise control or not.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Pin number 7 snapped off on my brothers 520i 2003 model over Christmas. I was away on hols so he had no access to my mig welder. He welded the pin back in using a 2.5mm stick welding rod and paid particular attention to complete a full circular run where it was only partly welded by the original manufacturer. Check the original weld between the pin and pedal on your car and if it looks like it was not welded all the way around the pin I would suggest taking it to a competent welder and fully weld it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pin number 7 snapped off on my brothers 520i 2003 model over Christmas. I was away on hols so he had no access to my mig welder. He welded the pin back in using a 2.5mm stick welding rod and paid particular attention to complete a full circular run where it was only partly welded by the original manufacturer. Check the original weld between the pin and pedal on your car and if it looks like it was not welded all the way around the pin I would suggest taking it to a competent welder and fully weld it.
Ya, from a quick search around various forums it appears that it is quite a common problem due to poor welding. I think BMW recalled certain models over the fault. I'll have a proper look at it tomorrow and might get it welded instead. It sounds like if I replace it, the problem might reoccur. Thanks for the reply.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts