BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

Awful wheel wobble at very very low speeds

10K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Mad_mike 
#1 · (Edited)
[SOLVED] Awful wheel wobble at very very low speeds

I've had a quick search here and can't seem to find anything related.
I had my 01 E39 auto parked up for about 5 or 6 months while driving a 02 E39 manual. Anyway, between one thing and another, I have gone back to the auto as I prefer the drive and it has cruise control, and also it has NCT until next year and the other one has just run out! :D

So I got the car taxed, hopped into it, and literally pulling away from my gate in the estate I live in, the car is wobbling terrible! Now, this is not like other wobbles I've had before at road speeds, or while braking etc. The car might be only doing 10mph, literally!

Before I go take every single wheel off, jack it up, look underneath etc etc, could anybody maybe point me in the right direction here? The first thing I did when this happened was to check tyre pressures and while they weren't great, even after I got them all bang on, it's still there!

It's actually so bad that even driving at such a slow speed, you can let go of the steering and visually see the steering wheel shaking as it drives. Again, it's hard to explain stuff in writing, but this is a definite wobble, and not vibration. You feel yourself shake side to side as the car moves along.

One last thing, when I get up to a decent speed, maybe above 40 or 50mph, it's not as noticeable although it's still there, but the speed kind of seems to steady the car!

See less See more
#5 ·
As above its most likely flat spots in the tyres,if ur wheels are not staggered size swap the front to back and see what its like then because if its the tyres itl be exaggerated on the front by the freeplay movement allowed by steering and balljoints which won't be as bad on the back due to most of the rear being fixed in position

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.