BMW-Driver.net Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

Hope I can get ur advise on what is the best coilovers to put on my e60. I want to lower the car but wud like to av the wide look. I'd like to have the wheels to come out and b flush with the arches but not have the tires and arches rubbing when hitting bumps or when I have ppl in back of car. I have a set of 19" Ava miamis on the car but would like to put spacers in to bring them out further. I have jom coilovers on it now and to be honest I find them crap. They are too soft. They don't seem strong enough for such a heavy car. It's an 07 520d se.
So like I said hope to hear any advise

Cheers

·
Peter
867 Posts
Most will advise against coilovers at all cost on big cars like the e39 / e60. Eibach sportline springs should pull off the look you're going after well, make the car handle better, and not ruin how the car rides.

If you would still prefer coilovers, BC coilovers is what I'd be getting... Not cheap though. Don't know the exact price for an e60 but should be around the 1k mark.

Any photos of the car?

Good luck anyway :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea I was thinking about the bc coilovers alryt. They are expensive but u get wat u pay for. As with going with spring can these b used with stock shocks or is there gud srinfs that would fit onto the jom coilovers
Sorry bout pic :(

Attachments

·
Peter
867 Posts
Nice car, I see what you mean about bringing out the wheels a bit more.

The eibachs will work with the stock shocks, but they will accelerate wear on them, so depending on their condition/mileage you may need new shocks... That's where it starts getting a bit expensive...

I found out my shocks were shot in August on my e36 and whatever way I looked at it, I didn't have a spare 1k to spend on shocks/springs or coilovers so I went for JOMs for now... I'm not a big fan of them... As soon as funds allow I will be upgrading to BCs that's for sure anyway, but it beats driving around on dead shocks and deformed springs!

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Definitely get BCs. Well worth the money in the long run if you want to lower a car a good bit and bcs are pretty comfy too.

I've had them on every model of BMW I've owned from E30s with all sorts of engines to E36 M3 track cars and an E46 M3 and very happy with them.

Have had B8, eibach springs, B12s, B8s with mtec springs, H&R cup kits, FK, JOMs on E30s and E36s too and BCs still win over them as all rounders and value for money.

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
If you want the best? KW, H&R, Bilstein or Nitron.
What he said ^^^

If you want middle of the road go with HSD, I had them in and E46 before and they were ok. They come pillowball top mounts so they are hard on the road but tolerable. I hear good things about BC, ive never had them so cant comment.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Personally wouldn't rate KW that well for the cost.

Nitron, Intrax, ohlin however? :cool:

Thing is, all those setups cost 2-3K or alot more. For value for money, I reckon BC are hard to beat unless your tracking the car.

Ill probably upgrade from BC on mine some stage down the line but theres much better ways to spend the extra cost on it first. When the BCs eventually become the part thats letting it down after other mods... Then, yes. Its time to go for high end stuff then but realistically, in your case its a 520d, not an M5. Would it really be worth paying 2 or 3 grand for suspension when a 1000 will get something that'll do what you want?
Don't bother with joms or fks though if you arent stuck for cash as they wont last more than a year.

HSDs are very similar setup to BCs only they are a little harsher which is why id just sway to BCs over them for a road car

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers lads for the replays. I'm swaying to the bc's myself and like ye said is it worth putting 2-3k in it.
I had the misfortune on putting jom coilovers on the car. Sweet fcuk they are crap. Like wats been said before wat do u expect from cheap coilovers.

·
Registered
8,502 Posts
Grand in 36 and 46's but in a boat of a car like an e60 you may want something a bit better. depends how much you wanna spend, all the way from 250e or about 900 for hsd's or about 3k for v3's etc what do you need exactly, your hardly gonna try track it ? so if it's only the look cheap yokes are grand or just get intrax springs, lads love wasting money on them ;)

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Dave I wouldn't even fit them to a pedal go kart I'd rate them that bad.Ive yet to drive a car that drives well on them and ive been in e46 e36 e90 e60 a4 passats vw golf honda accords and civics you name it they all drive pretty shit and to be fair all them cars drive pretty well on standard shocks and springs.unless you just have your car parked outside your house and look at it all day in amazement at how well it looks sitting on the ground because that's all there good for a ornament.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
I'd agree to a point but I've had FKs on cheap skidder E36s and they do fine. Far better than old standard shocks and springs on track anyway.

Not ideal but a good cheap option for people that are on a budget and don't mind the compromise. Wouldn't put them in a big car like an E60 though were ride quality makes or breaks the car.

·
///M
1,149 Posts
I've fitted Eibach sport lines to my 08 E60 sport.
One front shock was leaking so I replaced both with Koni-sports with adjustable
Dampening.. Far more comfort than the standard sport shocks and sits perfect in my opinion whilst retaining the factory look..
I paid €400 for the two front shocks alone.. How good can fk's and joms really be if u can buy 4 adjustable shocks and springs and have them fitted for the price of my two shocks:cool:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys

Hope I can get ur advise on what is the best coilovers to put on my e60. I want to lower the car but wud like to av the wide look. I'd like to have the wheels to come out and b flush with the arches but not have the tires and arches rubbing when hitting bumps or when I have ppl in back of car. I have a set of 19" Ava miamis on the car but would like to put spacers in to bring them out further. I have jom coilovers on it now and to be honest I find them crap. They are too soft. They don't seem strong enough for such a heavy car. It's an 07 520d se.
So like I said hope to hear any advise

Cheers
will coilovers off a e39 fit my 2006 e60 m sport?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts