BMW-Driver.net Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a bit of advice wanted really.. Im a clean freak and I love cleaning my car even when its only a small bit dirty...

So I'm going to list how I would usually do it myself and hope u can point me into what I can improve products wise etc..

I usually wash the car with a power washer, and with a relatively cheap enough car shampoo and sponge with just the one bucket.

If it's tarred up I use Holts Tar Remover which I find pretty good.

Then I'll rewash it a few times with the car shampoo, sponges, and power washer and dry with a microfiber towel.

If I'm polishing/waxing I use autoglym super resin polish and meguires gold class for the wax.. all applied by hand

meguires wheel cleaner and a cheap tyre blackener for the wet black look tyres.

Generally it and it usually comes out looking nice, but if any of u guys into the detailing can point me forward changing things up getting a better shine out of it etc. I'm all ears.

Also any idea on how to use clay bars? after wash/detar? whats its sole use?
Car's alpine white.

8,261 Posts
Ditch the sponge and cheap shampoo are not actually cheap they work out more expensive with their poor dilution ratios versus the "expensive" ones ;)

I just got one this week 5ml per 20ltr bucket ;)

Also pick up another bucket, always wash with 2 buckets :)

Im not great at typing guides out, i would be able to explain better in person so if your interested in a 1-1 cleaning session let me know ;)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ditch the sponge and cheap shampoo are not actually cheap they work out more expensive with their poor dilution ratios versus the "expensive" ones ;)

I just got one this week 5ml per 20ltr bucket ;)

Also pick up another bucket, always wash with 2 buckets :)

Im not great at typing guides out, i would be able to explain better in person so if your interested in a 1-1 cleaning session let me know ;)
I was reading about the group cleaning sessions you do every now and then.. Could be interested in doing that if dates fall good some stage. Any recommendations for a shampoo / polish and wax for a reasonable cost without going mental?

8,261 Posts
Best thing is to keep products the same as they have a better chance of bonding together so keep your super resin polish and but autoglym shampoo and HD wax, or bit cheaper is Extra Gloss Protection and bot look super on white.

Wash with Mitts and 2 buckets and wax safe shampoo
Detar
Rewash as above
Clay
Rewash as above
Dry
Polish with Super Resin
Seal with Extra Gloss or HD wax

Thats the basics of getting the car looking better and in that order too by the way. Allow HD or EGP to cure as per instructions. And then to maintain just wash as follows

Pre rinse
Wash with mitts and 2 buckets and wax safe shampoo
Dry

Then every month

Pre rinse
Dry
Add another layer of the sealant you have already applied

Then every about 5-7k (about 6 months) Reclay and seal.

That would be basic enough wash plan for now, there is some more bits to pick up along the way.

·
Fightin' off Grenades!
320 Posts
Best thing is to keep products the same as they have a better chance of bonding together so keep your super resin polish and but autoglym shampoo and HD wax, or bit cheaper is Extra Gloss Protection and bot look super on white.

Wash with Mitts and 2 buckets and wax safe shampoo
Detar
Rewash as above
Clay
Rewash as above
Dry
Polish with Super Resin
Seal with Extra Gloss or HD wax

Thats the basics of getting the car looking better and in that order too by the way. Allow HD or EGP to cure as per instructions. And then to maintain just wash as follows

Pre rinse
Dry

Then every month

Pre rinse
Dry
Add another layer of the sealant you have already applied

Then every about 5-7k (about 6 months) Reclay and seal.

That would be basic enough wash plan for now, there is some more bits to pick up along the way.
This is what all of us do on a regular basis. It is pretty much a bare minimum with a lot of us. Just keep this in mind and look out for any extras such as wheel cleaning/sealing and you won't go too far wrong!

·
I know nothing about BMW
3,038 Posts
Just a bit of advice wanted really.. Im a clean freak and I love cleaning my car even when its only a small bit dirty...

So I'm going to list how I would usually do it myself and hope u can point me into what I can improve products wise etc..

I usually wash the car with a power washer, and with a relatively cheap enough car shampoo and sponge with just the one bucket.

If it's tarred up I use Holts Tar Remover which I find pretty good.

Then I'll rewash it a few times with the car shampoo, sponges, and power washer and dry with a microfiber towel.

If I'm polishing/waxing I use autoglym super resin polish and meguires gold class for the wax.. all applied by hand

meguires wheel cleaner and a cheap tyre blackener for the wet black look tyres.

Generally it and it usually comes out looking nice, but if any of u guys into the detailing can point me forward changing things up getting a better shine out of it etc. I'm all ears.

Also any idea on how to use clay bars? after wash/detar? whats its sole use?
Car's alpine white.
All you'll ever need to know and more you'll never use!

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/index.php

1 - 6 of 6 Posts