BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear All,

I recently bought a 5-series BMW, 2006, which had previously a phone cradle for a Nokia 6300 fitted under the arm rest. From the IDrive display it would also appear that the car is equipped with bluetooth. However, when I tried to connect my own work phone, a Nokia E5 via Bluetooth the system would not pair/detect the phone. I am also not quite clear how to search for the phone from the IDrive menu. Unfortunately, the user manual does not explain this part either, hence I would be grateful if you could direct me somewhere to find out this information. Alternatively, I would like to ask if anybody know where I could possible purchase a cradle for my phone to work around this problem.

I would appreciate if you could assist me with this matter as my search on the various BMW websites was not very successful. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks for your support and I am looking forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks very much - Huffy

·
2007 LCI E60 535d MSport
4,722 Posts
The iDrive is tricky enough but you'll get used to it!
From memory you have to :

1. turn bluetooth on your phone and search
  2. it should pick up something along the lines of "BMW42566"
  3. then you pair
  4. the iDrive will then ask to confirm
  5. you enter a passkey on the iDrive
  6. you enter the same passkey on the phone when prompted
  7. connect
If your around Finglas or City Center during the day i can show you ;)

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I think you have to be in a specific iDrive menu in settings->bluetooth to be able to see your phone.
From the main iDrive menu, press down on the iDrive button then go to communication I think (recalling this from memory)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I Drive Command not working

Hi - thanks for getting back to me- I got through the IDrive "I-Menu" and in Settings I could see a sub-menu for Bluetooth. There is a highlighted field stating "Bluetooth communication activated" but no tick in the box. All the pressing doesn't give any results. So from that I gather that I have bluetooth, however it may not be activated, hence I can't pair my phone. If I go to communications and phone it only tells me "no mobile device installed". I would assume that this probably relates to the phone which could be placed in the cradle (which is based on an old Nokia 6300 phone).

So still no further - If I could find out how to activate the bluetooth we could be laughing, otherwise I have to try to find a cradle from somewhere. What a pain

·
2007 LCI E60 535d MSport
4,722 Posts
Hi - thanks for getting back to me- I got through the IDrive "I-Menu" and in Settings I could see a sub-menu for Bluetooth. There is a highlighted field stating "Bluetooth communication activated" but no tick in the box. All the pressing doesn't give any results. So from that I gather that I have bluetooth, however it may not be activated, hence I can't pair my phone. If I go to communications and phone it only tells me "no mobile device installed". I would assume that this probably relates to the phone which could be placed in the cradle (which is based on an old Nokia 6300 phone).

So still no further - If I could find out how to activate the bluetooth we could be laughing, otherwise I have to try to find a cradle from somewhere. What a pain
Cradle is irrelevant. It should still pair to other phones no problem

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Yeah it should pair up with the phone in your pocket.
Try going to this menu here and pair it then:

If not try another phone perhaps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Problem identified

Hi Folks,

thanks for getting back to me - at long last I found - well not a solution, but an answer. My particular phone does not work with the bluetooth settings in the car and I can't get a cradle for it either, hence I'm fecked.
:mad:
Thanks all the same for getting back to me.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Brodit ( brodit.com or search ebay or brodit)do superb cradles for all phones both passive and active

·
2007 LCI E60 535d MSport
4,722 Posts
Hi Folks,

thanks for getting back to me - at long last I found - well not a solution, but an answer. My particular phone does not work with the bluetooth settings in the car and I can't get a cradle for it either, hence I'm fecked.
:mad:
Thanks all the same for getting back to me.
Just because its not on the official list of supported phones, it may still work with basic call/answer functions?

I had my old E51 paired to my dads E60 without issues and also an E52 after that.
Maybe the E5 is totally different, but i thought it would still pair and allow some function?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maybe no Bluetooth at all?????

Well, sorry for getting back to ye again, but if you could have a look at the attached pictures and tell me if I actually have Bluetooth or not. As I said before the display states that Bluetooth is activated, but the box beside it isn't ticked. Of course, one could ask if the car hasn't got Bluetooth why bother mentioning it in the menu?!?

I see from other blogs that car manufacturers seem to be notoriously slow to adapt to these technologies - and I had hoped that the mighty engineers from BMW had cracked it. Looks like going back to the old Parrot system.:confused:

Attachments

·
2007 LCI E60 535d MSport
4,722 Posts
going by the fact you have the phone cradle in the arm rest and the bluetooth menu, i would hazzard a guess that you do have bluetooth.

But i did read this on another forum :

You might have bluetooth installed but not activated.

There is a TCI module (a small electronic box the size of two cigarette packets), screwed to the rear wheel arch in the boot, I think on the nearside.

Anyway, that will have a code stamped on it and a reference to bluetooth, something like T-Mobile stamped on it. If it's threre, then it just needs to be programed by the dealer, cost is high 400 UK Pounds.

Most later 5 series have bluetooth built into the TCI, but not enabled to the 'ON' mode if the original purchaser did not specify it.

BMW used to make two seperate TCI's, but laterly they just made one programmable model to save cost. They programmed the TCI for whatever the buyer ordered, media, bluetooth, nav etc.

There are plently of other forums discussing this if you check
Heres a good video on how to pair, but i'd be worried now why your bluetooth menu box isint ticked on the iDrive screen?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts