BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As in title, is ''bright red'' a factory colour for bmw or is it just a generalisation of a shade of red that happens to be quite bright, if you catch my drift.

The reason I'm asking is my local Halfrauds store (in which I happen to work :rolleyes:) has a BMW ''bright red'' colour in its pre mixed aerosol cans.
Both my cars are red BMW's, one is Hellrot and the other Brilliantrot.
Is the ''Bright red'' a different colour altogether?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
It's a 90s color 308 is the code

·
I know nothing about BMW
3,038 Posts
As in title, is ''bright red'' a factory colour for bmw or is it just a generalisation of a shade of red that happens to be quite bright, if you catch my drift.

The reason I'm asking is my local Halfrauds store (in which I happen to work :rolleyes:) has a BMW ''bright red'' colour in its pre mixed aerosol cans.

Check the plate on the turret or run the vin to get your code. Rattle cans are not as good as getting your paint mixed correctly though.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check the plate on the turret or run the vin to get your code. Rattle cans are not as good as getting your paint mixed correctly though.
I know about the codes/mixing naturally enough just needed confirmation of it being an actual BMW colour ;)
Not just people calling it bright red. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Is it though? http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?574533-Color-Code-list

308 is the code for Brilliant Red (BrillantRot) but 314 is the code for HellRot (translates directly as Light Red) which "officially" translates as "Bright Red". Googling it seems to suggest some paint places accidentally reversed these colours/codes, but 314 is "Bright Red" in BMW English.
Ah fiddlesticks now we're back where we started :confused2:

As you say it translates to 'bright red' which is where I aroused suspicion in the first place :shocked:

*edit* I can confirm those codes are correct also as I just checked the labels on the cars

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I have nexa BMW color chips it is not like 314
314 is orangey looking in the sun
308 is red all angles

I think they are totally different anyway. Op should look at the formula when he is at work tomorrow and revert back ;)

Reactions: Venom

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I have nexa BMW color chips it is not like 314
314 is orangey looking in the sun
308 is red all angles

I think they are totally different anyway. Op should look at the formula when he is at work tomorrow and revert back ;)
Correct, my ''hellrot'' E36 (code 314) is very orangey looking, despite what others look like on the tinterweb

No codes on the cans hence my post here :biggrin1::rolleyes:

·
Registered
2 Posts
[QUOT3,proven!E="MickstrickE30, post: 674794, member: 7145"]

[/QUOTE]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts