BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,
Have recently bought a 2001 BMW 525i- previously had a 318i. Just wondering is there a simple way of tensioning the handbrake cable on the 525i. I've had cars before that were very easy to do this, but cant manage it on the 525i. Your help would be greatly appreciated. :)

·
Beading on My Wagon
692 Posts
I adjusted mine last year, note the E39 handbrake isn't great anyways. SWMBO drove the car a bit with the handbrake on ('what was that bing-bing noise about?') and the handbrake was dire thereafter.

I could not find the shoe adjuster through the wheelnut holes so i omitted that part!

I lifted both rear wheels, car in Neutral, front wheels chocked.

I pulled up the gaiter around the handbrake. You'll see there is a cable for each side.

One side at a time i tightened the cable nut turn by turn until the wheel was just starting to to be braked with the handbrake lever @ 3 clicks.

It took a bit of 'bedding in' - driving slowly with handbrake slightly engaged - to restore a reasonable handbrake effort.

But it worked - I went from about 12 clicks & almost no braking, to 4-5 clicks & an NCT pass :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts