BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Diesel Nut
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
By now I'm sure you know my last project, the TDS Project Smoke Machine which I sold out my half of (Click HERE). Heres my new machine
I've wanted to create yet another Diesel Drifter Torque Monster from an E46 330d for a while now since I figured out Mapping. I finally got the opportunity when I found a High Miler 330cd in Newry recently... Full Service history and just passed an MOT even with 220k miles on a 6 Speed Manual.. Almost a Mortal Sin to wreck such a good car, but its one saving grace is the 3000 Euro it takes to get it VRT'd & Taxed... thats the price of the car again so total waste of time!
Every thread about these torque machines starts off with plans & never gets any further so I'm not going to give any hints to the "Plans" as they will inevitably change as I progress & break things... so the only real plan is to map the feck out of it & get sideways, in the proecess of that putting as much engineering effort into the project as required to make it as close to a Pro Spec car as possible. As always everything including mapping will be done in-house.

You may see a bit of crossover from this thread into another, I will be updating Shane's 325TDS Coupe Build also (Click HERE)

Without further Ado... the Car I'm calling the M3d... You'll see why!

So, before this project began I brough it up to the quarry & got it weighed before it goes on a Seeeeerious diet

·
Registered
295 Posts
good stuff man. Those coil overs are the job.

1720kg's though?! didn't realise they were so heavy, you'd probably be pushing it getting it down to 1300 or so?

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
Nearly 200kg heavier than the 320d, but I'll be following this with interest especially around the floor design..I'm looking at a pole position but how many a tbem evos you got ? :)

·
Diesel Nut
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nearly 200kg heavier than the 320d, but I'll be following this with interest especially around the floor design..I'm looking at a pole position but how many a tbem evos you got ? :)
Floor design?

Theyre not EVO's theyre Pro 2000, the evos are narrower & too tight for me. Thats for both cars so we need em all

·
Diesel Nut
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finally got the shell completely gutted, sound deadening removed & every bracket, holder & most of the Un-nececary shite...

Getting a propper washing

& back in to dry off

Un-nececary weight removal

next stage is arches & cage, That will probably take a while..........

·
Diesel Nut
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice project:cool:
You should get down to 1100kg with cage, petrol, etc... ready to run.
Good luck with it.
Was weighing up there after, interior is about 100kg, and I'd be lucky to have taken out 100kg of extra shite including sound deadening and all the rest of it.. maybe 250kg at best in total... that leaves me more around the 1500kg mark when I put back in the sparco's & seat bases, then add a cage with supported diff mounts ect

Unless I went mad with fibreglass on the roof, bootlid, bonnet ect id never get down to that sort of weight..... We'll see.. Ya gotta remember I have a steel block thats a pig of a weight!

Nooooooooooooo No petrol!

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
An S54 has a steel block too so obviously the extra weight of an intercooler and turbo will add up but other than that, it wouldn't be much different to an M3 and they aren't too difficult to get down under 1300kg

·
Diesel Nut
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Many Many KG's taken out

and more bits bought

mocked up for arches

cut out

and being pulled in to get welded up, sitting beside shanes car

all 4 welded up

and back into the shed - lookin wide :D

and the cage is taking shape

·
Registered
295 Posts
Holy crap, thats wide!!:)

What sort/type of bender are ye using to form the cage? Ive been looking for one for a while but they're mental money.

·
Diesel Nut
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yet another update

And Engine Bay cleaned up & Primed... I HATE sanding!

Should have most of the interior painted at the weekend now, want to fill a few holes & bead the joints to the sideskirts with polyurethane so they'll look All the one.

I also have been doing a bit of drawing ;) New Camber plate for moving the Centrepoint of the suspension on the top mount out 60mm to Exactly on the 2015 IDC regulations limit
(6.5)Front suspension turrets must remain in the oem position in the chassis and may not be removed,
replaced or relocated.

(6.6)The front top shock absorbers pivot may be moved to any position within the original PCD(pitch circle diameter) of the original front suspension top mount bolts.

Another bit to do yet with the bottom side of the suspension... A load of work to do!

·
Diesel Nut
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Chassis is now complete

Cage & Engine Bay Primed & Painted

Then Both cars in for painting the chassis

Even when you think the car is WIDE... Its still narrow

Next up is the wiring loom, needs to go on a SERIOUS Diet

·
Diesel Nut
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wiring loom cleaned up to this

Just the basics left

The leftovers

Solid Engine Mounts, Gearbox Mounts & Flex Disc Bushings

New glowplugs.. 5 of 6 were gone

Then onto the engine itself.. Theres always a battle somewhere

Eventually got it out with the propper tool for the job... One we made several years ago for someone...

What the cams looked like after 200 miles of driving with a Litre of High Detergent ATF Fluid mixed in & 4 months without starting.. Everything spotless
Also cleaned out all 12 Air Intakes from EGR buildup over the years right down to the valves & The air intake manifold

cleaned up the cam cover & removed the air filter housing

Threw the gearbox back on & Dropped it back in

Dash in, wiring loom in.. everything looking tidy

Then to start it.. Checking faults to verify everything is connected

& after starting, verifying all main sensors were reading correctly

Next up was to verify I could communicate with ECU OK & RSA Encryption calculations for this ECU works OK. Threw on a new map (First of Many) & everything worked OK

Then we went on to make the Semi Solid FlexDiscs

Also made the IDC Legal Camber Plates as shown in previous post

& Fitted - 60mm extension over standard

Also changed the Exhaust manifold.. the Original Stainless one is very common to crack & this one was no different. Replaced with E60 5 Series one.. direct fit with no modification required apart from EGR Blank

1 - 20 of 36 Posts