BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, does anyone know the situation with regards to warranty on BMW parts?

I bought a wheel bearing 11 months ago, fitted it myself & now I believe it is gone again. I had replaced the other side 6 months previous, again using genuine parts.
I can't find any info other than the BMW USA site were it says 2 year unlimited mileage on parts.

Does this hold true for Ireland?

Will I hit trouble as I fitted it myself? (I'm more than competant but no formal training, but miles ahead of my Ford trained buddy! :p)

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was a front wheel bearing. The good thing is I replaced both in the last 18 months. It is very obvious when you drive the car that the wheel bearing is gone. It was or he e39 in case anyone is curious.
I buy a shed load of parts from the dealer, in there every month, sometimes 2/3 times a month dropping a few quid each time.
I was browsing EBay & all the parts listed by BMW UK say 2 year warranty too. We'll see how it goes in the morning.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dont know if youd get warranty on a bearing though , id imagine it would be under wearable parts like brake pads and bushings you have no warranty on those
That's the next problem, but a bearing should last more than 11 or 18 months (whichever one failed in my case) driving average miles? After all the original lasted over 100k miles. Anyway heading over there now.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE: There is a 2 year warranty on the parts, even on something like a bearing. They are going to take the car in to assess if it is the bearing that's failed & if it has it will be replaced.
I'm confident it is gone (sounds exactly like when the original went). Thankfully I have the recommended star marked tyres, new discs & pads(OEM), new track rod ends (OEM) all supplied by the dealer (except tyres) so the rest of the set up is as it should be.

Now the next question is will they do the job as well as supply the part! :)

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep they will! Assuming it is the bearing that failed
That would be legendary, I'm getting lazy in my old age. Just collected the e63 from KDS/track rod end job from them. Contemplating giving them the job of the thermostat & water pump too! Trying to work out how much my weekend is worth (a weekend suffering in the rain!). €300 to do the w/pump & thermo versus me struggling on the driveway.

·
E63 Bmw 645Ci
4,576 Posts
That would be legendary, I'm getting lazy in my old age. Just collected the e63 from KDS/track rod end job from them. Contemplating giving them the job of the thermostat & water pump too! Trying to work out how much my weekend is worth (a weekend suffering in the rain!). €300 to do the w/pump & thermo versus me struggling on the driveway.
€300 sounds like a good deal to me TBH

You have pm

·
Doktor Displacement
4,738 Posts
I hear ya man!

Hence why my next car will be a "newish" one with plenty of warranty. :D

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My back is still not right since the operation this time last year, the thought of spending my day off diddling around in the engine bay is weighing on my mind. I don't know anyone as fussy as me that could do it for me (without breaking clips, etc.)
If they would squeeze a few pound off then I might make my mind up.

·
Registered
77 Posts
is the waterpump & thermostat on the e39?
I did mine a few weeks ago myself, its a few hours work on the e39 at most, and that was me taking my time and the first one I've done. Most difficult part is taking of the fan cover, you'll need to get the underside cover off and get under to unclip hoses etc. Its definetly not a difficult job and theres plenty of how to's on the web. I have a garage at home, I wouldnt fancy doing it on the drive way - especially at this time of year.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks James, I've done water pump/thermostat on an e30, e34 &e36, you're right there's not much to them bar getting the bleeding right. Working on the cold driveway with a sore back is what has me thinking. The whole convenience of just dropping it off, knowing its done right is swaying my decision.

·
cleaned out
2,783 Posts
done one of these today took my an hour at the most,, id tackle it at the weekend early if your back gives u a bit of bother leave it and come to it not worth 300 euro we charged 50 for the job

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
300 is fairly steep to be honest for what is essentially an hours work, if I could get my act together I could let you loose on my laptop and I could do it for you at the house.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
FINAL UPDATE:

Well the wheel bearing had failed, BMW are replacing it under warranty tomorrow, labour included. Really happy about that, it is a pain to do.

Bad news is I'm stuck another night in Dublin. :(

1 - 20 of 21 Posts