BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/news/bmw-recalls-1-3million-cars-worldwide-over-battery-fault.html

BMW recalls 1.3million cars worldwide over battery fault

27/03/12

German car maker BMW is recalling 1.3 million cars over problems with a battery cable cover which could in extreme cases cause a fire.

The cable is found in the boot of the car.

The worldwide recall affects 5 and 6-Series models made between 2003 and 2010 and includes 109,000 cars in the UK.

The world’s largest luxury car manufacturer said: "In some remote cases, the battery cable cover inside the boot of these vehicles may be incorrectly mounted.

"This can result in the electrical system malfunctioning, the vehicle failing to start and, in some cases, to charring or fire."

The issue came to light through the continuous testing and development of BMW vehicles and some customer feedback.

No incidents of this kind have so far been reported, the car maker added.

BMW said that it would be writing to car owners to warn them about the defect.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
If the car was originially registered in UK I assume they will never write to me right?
What does the work involve? Last thing you want is careless Irish bmw techs rummaging through your car giving you a few extra scratches to take home.

·
Strava freak.
3,226 Posts
If the car was originially registered in UK I assume they will never write to me right?
What does the work involve? Last thing you want is careless Irish bmw techs rummaging through your car giving you a few extra scratches to take home.
If it has had any work done in ROI by main dealers then it'll be on the system, If you have had any of that work done then your name will be there along with it.

·
2007 LCI E60 535d MSport
4,722 Posts
i would call your local dealer to see if yours in included, but i rang Jo Duffys about my dads yesterday and they said they were waiting on an updated list of cars affected to come from BMW. also told me that the recal only covers cars from 2008 onwards.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Well I know of LCI cars which can burn out the plug for the tail light. I bet this is what the issue is.
Pre-LCIs not affected afaik.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Well I know of LCI cars which can burn out the plug for the tail light. I bet this is what the issue is.
Pre-LCIs not affected afaik.
This also was a very common problem on the e46, didn't have a large enough ground to cope and would burn the plug...was a simple fix though

·
Registered
233 Posts
This recall has now gone live! Approx 16k cars in ROI need this mod to be carried out!
Will the owners still be contacted if the car is a UK import Ken? I had it serviced in Kevin O'Learys in Cork so should be on the system

·
///M
967 Posts
Ring ur local dealers and give them the last 7 digits of ur chasis number and they should know.. Mines going up friday it takes about 20 minutes to rectify so i'm told.:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts