BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I drive a 2005 X3 2L diesel. In the last week I have noticed that there is a knocking (clunking sound) sound for the rear of the car when braking and under low acceleration. I had just changed the tyres on the front of the car when this started to happen. Is this problem related to tyres or do I have a mechanical problem with the transfer box. Has anyone else seen this problem before on the X3 or even X5.

·
Registered
128 Posts
would you not just get someone to look at it, you could spend hours on the net looking and guessing. could be a bushing , could be a universal joint . its only a guessing game for everyone here anyway

·
Registered
609 Posts
I'd be 90% that it's the tyres. X3s really don't like it if you put anything other than the recommended tyres on them. Have seen it twice before with them, sounds like the diff or transfer box is knackered.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feed back lads. Getting the tyres changed tomorrow, hopefully it's a tyre issue. If not I could have some costly transfer box issue.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Tighten your wheel bolts right now. Sounds stupid, but you'd be surprised, they might have worked loose. I had the same sound and description on my Cooper S Works after I had new tires fitted a few years back.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just an update about this problem. I got the tyres changed to all one brand and the problem is now fixed, no knocking at all. Never knew that different tyres on the front and rear would cause such issues. Next time change all 4 tyres togeter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts