BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I won an eBay auction the other day and I'm going to collect this lovely 728 from the UK on Tuesday.

Linky link

Is there anything I should look out for when I'm picking it up apart from the usual. Any e23 specific issues?

Reactions: spike

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Oh that's very nice and original looking, congrats. If it hasn't been used much then a good drive and service would be a good idea assuming there are no issues with brakes, carb etc. Of course check body and underneath for any possible rust on that age of car.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
That does look very tasty indeed. A lovely start to a sharknose collection.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah so I hope it all checks out. The MOT advisories lead me to believe there is some rust but ita not very bad but the ad says theres no rust and there's been some welding done. Hopefully it was done after the MOT last year. Fingers crossed. I'm heading over to the airport now. Excited but nervous.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Car is almost perfect. Some small bits of body work that will need seeing to at some point in the near future.

Speedo stopped working in the past week or so (mileage checks out with the MOT and other docs)

The Hazard switch works but also has a tendency to pop out and turn the flashers on.

Has some fuelling electrical issues when it get hot after a decent blast. I reckon that leads, plugs, rotor and dizzy cap will sort that out.

Carb needs a small tune to get the car running perfectly but it's pretty wow in general. Has a small feeling of an 80s Dublin bus from the colour of the interior but it's huge, comfortable and very tidy. Proper cruiser.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Eugh, went to bring the car for a spin on Saturday in preparation for Terenure yesterday and the fuel pump seems to have packed it in.

Finding info on these 728s is a pain in the arse! Anyone have any experience with the fuelling on these? I'm not sure if the sender in the boot contains a pump or there's an inline one somewhere on the body.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Andy. I found the pump eventually but I haven't had any time to look at it. Need to get it off and see if it's stuck or the diaphragm might be bunched. It's in a simple location to get at so shouldn't take too long. Have syringes to backfill the fuel lines so hopefully that won't cause too much of an issue.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I ordered a replacement pump off eBay for £12...£12...wasn't sure if it was going to be a pump or a photo of one.

Anyway, it came and it was correct and direct fit. Little spill of fuel into the carb and the engine fired and drew fuel again! Woohoo!

Suffice to say after some rough driving I'm fairly sure the carb is in bad need of a rebuild so I've ordered a Solex 4A1 rebuilt kit from eBay too and it will go off for a rebuild and a tune shortly. I did get to drive it around all evening and it was mostly magic. Love the car!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Had a mechanic friend have a look over it and give it a tune last week. Carb needs an overhaul...about 500 quid :( It does drive a lot better though, auto choke is not working properly either so the carb rarely allows a proper fuel flow. The toe bigger barrels don't open unless the choke is off all the way. Old cars...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update on the car.

Head gasket went shortly after this happened and I took the time to do some work on the car over the winter.

Solex carb was rebuilt by McNamaras (€650 :jaw:)

Head skimmed and rebuilt by Deane Motors.

Exhaust hole was welded up and now sounds like it should.

New tyres because the ones on the car were from 1990...very safe...

Serviced as well as new plugs, leads, dizzy cap and rotor.

So after WAAAAAYYYY too much money, the car is back on the road. Stored it for the winter as well so it was kept out of the weather. I've driven about 1,200 KMs in the last two weeks including a spin up the north for a few days.

The car is driving very nicely now, although it could do with a bit of a fine tune to make it perfect. *sigh*

Now, after all of that I might stick it up for sale after I get a few more miles done.

Reactions: Andy and dergside

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Sorry to hear about your woes. The joys of old cars. I was out for a spin with a friend in an E24 recently ending up with a return journey on a tow truck. But glad to hear you are getting some use out of it. I will keep an eye out in case you do go to sell.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got this yolk back on the road today. After a long time sitting up and a baby and new house etc, I have some time and money to get her going again. I hear tell there is a cheap weber-esque carb that can be fit to these instead of the 4A1.

Good news is that the car is back in use as my daily now. Anyone got experience with the fuel flap lock actuator. 5126363592 is the BMW part number on it but I can't find anything online about it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts