BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I had a problem with my car kit but now i believe its got to do with the rear lights. if you look at the photo I took the left brake light isnt as bright as the right one. Also, the rear fog light on the right is much brighter than the left one. The left foglight is only measuring 4 volts and the right one is measuring 8 volts. Both brake lights are measuring 11.5 volts.

So far I've fixed the earths on the rear lights. They were totally gone so I attached the earth wire to the earth bar on the bulb holder frame.

I have an issue with a relay underneath the fuses. its the 3rd one in from the door (http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=AL71&mospid=47634&btnr=12_0495&hg=12&fg=35&hl=31 number 6) that randomly clicks. when i opened it I saw some burning on the inside of the housing and some carbon build up on the contacts which i cleaned with some sandpaper. I swapped it with the good one beside it but the clicking still persists so it must have something to do with the earths on the rear lights.

Does anyone know what that relay does and could i be connected to a bad earth on the rear lights. What other earth points should I check next?

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check the wiring where the loom runs from the body to the boot lid, I.e where it hinges. Common enough for the wiring to break there!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
cheers, i checked it and found one wire that had a crack and was showing just 1mm of copper. I didnt bother repairing it as i didnt think it would have been the problem? Could it be? It supplies to positive to the right lid brake light which is fine.

I found that the loom just inside the rear right door was causing the relay to click when i moved it around but couldn't find any broken wire.

·
Registered
128 Posts
cheers, i checked it and found one wire that had a crack and was showing just 1mm of copper. I didnt bother repairing it as i didnt think it would have been the problem? Could it be? It supplies to positive to the right lid brake light which is fine.

I found that the loom just inside the rear right door was causing the relay to click when i moved it around but couldn't find any broken wire.
no harm in fixing it anyway, just in case, then you can eliminate that problem

check all plugs/ connections, could be corrosion where cable plug into lamp maybe?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Found some loom damage inside the rear drivers side door where it passes the tank so the brake lights are working again 100%. Still cant get the left fog light to come on. Cant find any cable fault anywhere.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts