BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright lads, going checking out a e36 M3 in the morning & i was just wonderin could any of the M'ers tell me what look out for as opposed to the e36 325 that i got at the mo which is fairly simple in comparsion id reckon

·
Administrator - E46 M3
1,834 Posts
Hi James - some bogey ones out there, spent most of their doing donuts. Plenty of good ones too. Are you importing from the UK ?

Year ?
Model ? Evo or Non
Mileage ?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im not importing but she's english alright. 94 she's not an evo. 92k on the clock, reckon id get her for 11,5. Im a very careful buyer(had the bishops of waterfords 316 coupe, cleanist car in ireland expect for the stains) anyway but just wonderin if anything extra on them to watch out for.

·
Administrator - E46 M3
1,834 Posts
To be brutally honest. you are going to be buying a car, that in its day was probably considered a supercar. And it will have been well "tested" at this stage. So I'd personally expect to see a fair few bonnet chips, nothing that would put me off.

Watch for oil leaks, then can and most of them do, leak at some stage. Different gaskets perish, and theres a few common areas they leak from - (along the top of the block/rocker cover).

Buy one with full leather interior - always easier to sell on (although you could buy the leather at a later stage.)

Make sure the suspension isn't knocking in any way at the rear.

Listen to the engine from cold, and listen to how it sounds, they are a straight 6, and at the best of times they are hard to get a smooth idle out of, but you don't want to hear any rattles or knocks coming from the Vanos. My car from cold pretty much idles at 850rpm.

Gear change in all gears must be smooth, and clutch has long travel, but you don't need to be He-Man to use it.

Be extra careful ! I test drove a car in Ireland, 94 with 93K about 1 year ago, and it didn't feel right. My foot was catching the foot rest when using the clutch. But the car was mint, and had tonnes of extras which were very rare on a 94. I later found out the car had been written off with 25K worth of damage in 1996, and then obviously fixed up and resold a few years later.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looked at her anyway, seemed a nice motor alright and as straight as u can expect. Gotta think bout it and have discussions with the insurance company. Looking at autotrader uk but dont see many for the money ur talking bout. One beauty alright, 96 evo 82k estroil blue 8,450 sterling

1 - 6 of 6 Posts