BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
EU PLANS to abolish Vehicle Registration Tax (VRT) will result in a doubling of motor tax or fuel tax rises of more than 20c per litre, it was claimed yesterday.

Department of Finance officials warned that proposals to get rid of VRT put forward by the European Commission will mean the lost revenues will have to be made up in other areas.

The Commission proposals to get rid of VRT in EU member states - nine of which do not have VRT - is aimed at improving the functioning of the single market and the reduction of carbon dioxide emissions.

However, yesterday the Joint Oireachtas committee on Finance and the Public Service heard that well-off people who change cars more regularly would benefit more than people who hold onto the same car.

Under the Commission plans, funds gathered from VRT - €1.15bn in Ireland last year - would have to be found in other aspects of motoring taxation.

John Burke, from the Department of Finance, said replacing VRT with higher motor tax would result in hiking the average motor tax from €400 to €960 per year.

Alternatively, replacing the VRT with higher fuel taxes would mean fuel at the pump would cost over 20c more per litre.

The proposed directive from the Commission, which has to be agreed by all member states, would see VRT abolished on a phased basis by 2016.

The Minister for Finance has pointed out previously that VRT is a national tax that falls within the national competence."

SF TD Caoimhghin O Caolain said we should have our own responsibility in determining tax codes.

·
Registered
65 Posts
car taxation is SOOOO easy to sort tho - all of it on petrol prices.

more you drive the more u pay
bigger the engine more u pay
more you drive inner city more u pay

why oh why do they need so many diff ways to tax us? (tolls/roadtax/petrol/vrt whatever)

·
Premium Member
8,664 Posts
The reason they don't put road tax on petrol is because some local authorities would feel the loss in revenue if most people comming up to work in Dublin filled their cars up before going home etc

·
Registered
5,900 Posts
I am curious as to what would happen to the second hand value of our cars if VRT is abolished??

Rich.

richie_rvf

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I reckon second hand prices would slump accordingly - BUT - the price of cars would have dropped all-round, so your cash would be 'worth' just as much when it comes to buying another car.

·
Administrator - E46 M3
1,834 Posts
if VRT is abolished, car prices will crash.

They were supposed to introduce a 2.5% reduction in the budget just gone, but nothing seemed to happen. It mentioned a constant 2.5% reduction to VRT rates, over a number of years.

I'd much prefer the increase in petrol costs instead, but petrol costs are looney in this country.

I bought my m3 this time last year, when I paid 75c per litre, not its a minimum of 105.9 per litre

·
Registered
65 Posts
prices will tumble alright - you guys pay big money for cars compared to us in the north so once the vrt barrier is gone you will all come up here to buy so prices in the south will have to drop to match

·
Quattro Representative
2,187 Posts
have to remember brian petrol is a lot cheaper than the uk still, hence petrol stations in places like dundalk are full of northern reg'd cars filling up to the brim with petrol. Still as Paul says taxation on petrol is the fairest all round way of doing it. Whats with prices going up when statoil leave?

·
Registered
5,900 Posts
I too agree with putting the extra on the price of the fuel, we are WAY cheaper than the rest of Europe on the cost of fuel, anywhere from 30 to 60 cent less per liter!!

@ pablo, I hadn't thought of it that wat ;) and if it is a percentage then the new car will drop more than our second hand cars!!

Rich.

richie_rvf

·
Registered
295 Posts
quote:Originally posted by mikerd4

have to remember brian petrol is a lot cheaper than the uk still, hence petrol stations in places like dundalk are full of northern reg'd cars filling up to the brim with petrol. Still as Paul says taxation on petrol is the fairest all round way of doing it. Whats with prices going up when statoil leave?

The statoil petrol company is pulling out of Ireland to concentrate on the scandinavian market and they reckon this will make the price of petrol rise as there will be less competition ,,

M-Tech 318is coupe

·
Premium Member
8,664 Posts
And Statoil are supplying Tescos at the moment

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
They may drag their heels on VRT like the auld Nitrates Directive for another 15 yrs, so I wouldn't hold my breath on it.
But surely abolishing Road Tax and putting extra tax on the petrol makes complete sense.
As mentioned earlier, you pay as you go, but there's no evasion, so more collected, bigger engined cars pay more - currently they stop and 3.2 L'ish.
No need for any tax offices,less time in courts and less time taken up on the Gardai policing it. It could even mean a net reduction on some of our car tax burden - but this is Ireland, it couldn't make sense.

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I agree completely - if the tax is in the petrol price (and done fairly!) there should be a net reduction - because no one can avoid paying it. And any tourists coming into the country in their car would also contribute towards it.

·
Premium Member
4,129 Posts
No! They cannot put prices up anymore... [:-grumpy]

Rogue OCTANE SSK + WSR, Rogue Tranny Mounts, CCFL Angel Eyes, Custom Aluminium Pedals, Stoptech Stage 1 Upgrade, Active Autowerke CAI

1 - 15 of 15 Posts