BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Quattro Ist Für Sissies
4,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
lads and lassies, can you all check your wheel bolts. i nearly got caught out tonight for the second time in as many years. by caught out i mean, the wheel hanging on by a thread:rolleyes: luckily, i felt a vibration through the wheel and decided to check it out

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Yup, I lost a wheel last week, disc, hub and rim all needed replacing. I was really lucky because the car was in a car park, just parking up when it happened.... If it had happened on the road at speed I couldve killed someone

·
Quattro Ist Für Sissies
4,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yup, I lost a wheel last week, disc, hub and rim all needed replacing. I was really lucky because the car was in a car park, just parking up when it happened.... If it had happened on the road at speed I couldve killed someone
jeez, thats a nightmare, i didn't hear that. that will be an expensive fix i assume

·
Registered
377 Posts
Happened to me a few years back in herselfs saxo, don't know why but she decided to take my car home with the kids in it, thank fcuk,
Was flaking down back roads going into a corner & the front drivers wheel came off,
Not a nice feeling going into a blind corner with no control & on the wrong side of the road,
Thank god there was nothing coming the other way..............

·
E34 owner
358 Posts
lads and lassies, can you all check your wheel bolts. i nearly got caught out tonight for the second time in as many years. by caught out i mean, the wheel hanging on by a thread:rolleyes: luckily, i felt a vibration through the wheel and decided to check it out
Great thread topic Mr.autotrader. People can never be reminded enough.

I've had it happen but i was LUCKY. the wheel came off and the car dropped down on the drivers side wedging the wheel up under the wheel arch. Needless to say the arch was wrecked, headlight and bonnet damaged also. Back then the fast and the furious was all the rage and i had a fiberglass front bumper, it also got smashed.

Good man for checking the shudder, i was driving only a few weeks and went a few miles thinking what wrong here.....wasn't long until i found out :D

And on a further note, doesn't really apply with bmw as most are alloy as standard but make sure to change wheel bolts for required ones if your car came with steelies origionally.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Post trackdays it is definitely something worth checking, particularly for those with painted/refurbed wheels.
Jon

Interested why you say this? Does the process of refinishing somehow affect the metal or clearances or thread on the wheels?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Jon

Interested why you say this? Does the process of refinishing somehow affect the metal or clearances or thread on the wheels?
The fresh paint expands and contracts with heat making the wheels a little bit loose, being a bit loose, the vibration can/will eventually cause the wheel to work its way loose.

Best to scrape the paint away where the bolt and the wheel contact.

·
Registered
454 Posts
OK thanks, didn't know that. I'm looking to get the M3 wheels refinished soon, as they will no longer (hopefully) be seeing gravel traps :D :D so I'm interested.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
jeez, thats a nightmare, i didn't hear that. that will be an expensive fix i assume
Actually, I was very lucky.....M&G did me an extrememly good deal...thank god

Post trackdays it is definitely something worth checking, particularly for those with painted/refurbed wheels.
I think the feedback from M&G was that I damaged my hub whe i spun off.....it sounded so bad after the trackday but someone said that it was making that noise/wobble because i'd picked up rubber off the track or something. Anyway, it will never happen to me EVER again :rolleyes: :eek:

·
Registered
490 Posts
Happened to me on my first day on the road in my nissan almera. Doing about 50mph the p/s wheel came off and car skided into the hard shoulder

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Actually, I was very lucky.....M&G did me an extrememly good deal...thank god

I think the feedback from M&G was that I damaged my hub whe i spun off.....it sounded so bad after the trackday but someone said that it was making that noise/wobble because i'd picked up rubber off the track or something. Anyway, it will never happen to me EVER again :rolleyes: :eek:
Having spun many cars, both intentionally and not so intentionally, that sounds very odd to me.

A normal dealer would not be aware of the painted wheel issue as it just wouldnt be on their radar.

·
Premium Member
8,663 Posts
Lou after talking with the lads it was more than likely that time the road was in bits and you wrecked both rims or when the blots sheared in the hub, alls well now its got fixed:)

Well thats May out of the way fingers crossed no costs for the rest of the year

·
Premium Member
8,663 Posts
Always check wheels especially after getting new tyres or swapping rims, must check my own now

1 - 20 of 23 Posts