BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Inspect-Correct-Perfect
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This one was a bit of a challenge. A 1973 Porsche 911 that was supposed to be left in with me for three days right before it was shipped out on the ferry to Europe. It was full of marks from the bodyshop that resprayed it as part of the restoration, including buffer trails and hook-marks from the d.a. sander. The finish left a lot to be desired and three hard days work was anticipated. Most panels of the car looked a little like this under the lights.

Getting closer to the detail date, the sh!t hit the fan and some problems arose with the engine and other components. I was told I only had one day to work on the car. So I had to resign myself to one hell of a long day.

I arrived at the workshop at 7.30am to get everything ready. The car arrived at around 8am. Inevitably, I had to leave the photos as the paint correction was too intense to be fiddling around with the camera, but I got a few before and after shots.

After shots.... taken at about 2AM that night. A hard 18hrs work. The car is finished with PolishAngel Centurion Black, a handmade black colour-tinted coating to bring out that extra gloss and clarity in reflection.

The Porsche definitely needed another day's work on it to bring out the best in the finish, but time was really against me..... and I'm not as young as I used to be! However, I got some very good feedback regarding the finish.

Thanks for looking. :)
Brian

·
Inspect-Correct-Perfect
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WOW!:eek: what a beautiful car,great work too buddy! is there anything cooler than old 911s???:nod:
Aren't they epic. :) I always enjoy watching ebay for the barn-finds with prices through the roof. This my favourite one at present, though hardly a barn-find... (Euromillions, please come in!) LINK

·
Inspect-Correct-Perfect
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Brian. Long time no hear. :) I've made a promise to myself not to pass comment on any more body-shop or "detailer" work that comes to me for repair. Whatever the reason the car is left in that condition, its not up to me judge. :confused2: I'm just going to going to crack on with the task and quit grumbling! lol There were a lot in over the summer and more booked in for rectification, so I guess I am happy to have the business. ;)

·
Inspect-Correct-Perfect
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Turtle Wax might have had the ideas but it was ripe for development. This stuff is great... High carnauba content as well as ceramic protection especially for black cars. It makes the black a richer colour... and pigmented products seem to work well on dark colours, without muting the metallic flake. The lighter ones, I can't see any enhancement over non-pigmented products though... here's one I did last year using a black pigmented coating. Its good stuff (wouldn't use it otherwise)

·
Registered
807 Posts
Cool. I like the pop there.

have to admit (although I was taking the wee wee a bit) that I have never understood how a tinted wax/filler/top finish could ever work. Surely the product is being applied to the lacquer/clear coat that is between it and the base colour

maybe I am just way overdue that cuppa and chat

·
Inspect-Correct-Perfect
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cool. I like the pop there.

have to admit (although I was taking the wee wee a bit) that I have never understood how a tinted wax/filler/top finish could ever work. Surely the product is being applied to the lacquer/clear coat that is between it and the base colour

maybe I am just way overdue that cuppa and chat
I'm the most cynical! Its only when I test things out thoroughly that I settle on whether its good or bad (well, if it gets in my door in the first place anyway). I got another of those €200 pots of wax recently sent to me (thankfully for free) by manufacturer for trial. It hasn't passed my trial.

Drop over anytime for a cuppa. But let me know in advance and I'll get a few donuts in first (the cake obviously, not me ripping up the carpark with the van!). :) I'm there Tuesdays to Saturdays.
:nod:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts