BMW-Driver.net Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
4,427 Posts
Dension Gateway 500 - Install & Coding

Yep, I had to fit mine by removing the radio as mine didn't have the CD changer prep. The hardest thing about physically fitting it was realsing there was a retaining screw for the centre vent behind the hazard light switch!

Here's a thread with some of my experiencevon the whole thing:

http://www.bmw-driver.net/forum/showthread.php?t=26828

http://www.bmwcoding.com/showthread...ble-MP3-read-playback-(-amp-enable-CD-changer)

Here's a physical install guide:

http://www.dension.com/sites/default/files/gateway500mostdualfotinstallguide1.pdf

NCS Expert Changes:

Step 1: Modifying the FA
You need to make the following additions to your FA (build spec of your car) in NCS expert, you add these to the CAS & LMA.

$672
+KMP3

These two additional items in the FA of your car basically tell your car that it has a CD changer & it has the ability to play MP3.

Step 2: Modifying the code in MASK unit
Here's the parameters in the MASK unit that you need to change with NCS expert:
MP3
activ (will this prevent my MP3 play capability from working or is it just going too prevent me playing MP3 CDs in the in-

MP3_CCC
full

MP3CDC
aktiv

MP3_CHAMP
aktiv

CDMM_CHANGER_3
mp3_cdc

CDC
aktiv

I did not include a guide here on how to modify the FA or how to use NCS Expert. These changes will only take a few seconds to do so you'll get away without the charger. Much like the enabling of Acoustic acknowledgement on lock/unlock.

Did you get the Bluetooth Module as well Ken?

· Registered
4,427 Posts
You can code the car without the units installed.

In fact there is a,little switch on the AUX port that you can turn the ascension off so,the dealer diagnostics kit doesn't get confused. Having said that I never switch mine off & the kit works OK.

Looking forward to seeing the Bluetooth streaming of music from your iPhone. There's also a video module that allows you to display your iPhone screen on the iDrive. SD Dracula has that, search for his thread on it in the In Car Electronics section. It needs to bephysically connected & you have to control the iPhone from the iPhone (i.e. not iDrive).

· Registered
4,427 Posts
I just removed +KMP3 & $672 from FA. I tried again to read the MASK module but I'm getting the same error:mad:
Did you re-add back in $694. Only thing I was thinking was to put it back exactly like it was. Also, do a screen shot of all the ECU available for selection in NCS, I'm just curious if CIC or CCC are available in the drop down.

· Registered
4,427 Posts
Having newer Daten files can't do any harm as long as there is no problems with the files & they are updated in the correct way. There are three folders that need to be adjusted & the "laden" file needs to be run.
I would definitely save a copy of the old folders with a .OLD after the name so you can easily switch back.

· Registered
4,427 Posts
Grasping at straws here but two things I would try:

- read the 43DMO unit and post the trace file up.
Or
- change the interface to CAN off (& then the it with KCAN) using the Utility

· Registered
4,427 Posts
I'm back next Thursday, not sure I can solve it but I'll certainly try!

Another one for you...did you flick the switch on the AUX port (the one Dension say you should switch when you send the car to the dealer?) this is meant to prevent the Dension "interfering" with the dealer diagnostics kit.

Also, I think Brian Powell up Forge Hill has Autlogic too, if you're stuck.

· Registered
4,427 Posts
Hey Guys, is Progman an option for me here??????
I have never done it but you could do a CD Changer retrofit but you'd need a physical CD changer. However I think this only fixes half the problem, you still have the MP3 piece to sort out, I think that can also be done in Progman, not 100%. I would not plug any E6x (e.g. E60) in to Progman without a Power Supply attached, it takes ages to load info from the car & battery would drain very quickly.

· Registered
4,427 Posts
Here's some shots of the dip switch settings on my Dension (e63, but same as e60):

Here's a video showing the sound from the Radio (not Dension) being interrupted when the fibre optic connection is unplugged & then re-plugged back in.

Here's a photo just confirming which side the fibre optic cable plugs in to. Note the Dension unit is upside down:

· Registered
4,427 Posts
As I said, I'm convinced that the coding is right, the CD changer is showing up in DIS & it wouldn't if it was not already coded.
My next move would be:
1: Try reversing the fibres
2. If no joy then try to do what I did wiith the fibres directly at the back of the head unit.

· Registered
4,427 Posts

· Registered
4,427 Posts
I had issues with coding using that particular cable, it was hit & miss. I had no issues updating the VO though. It was perfect for diagnostics though. I've since moved on to the BMTechnics one & also the ADS:OBD one for older cars.

· Registered
4,427 Posts
what do you mean? so will try to code the CAPPL on weekend with that black adapter. Do i understand it correct, that CAPPL is for idrive professional and MASK module has cars with idrive bussines?
CAPPL is professional Nav, Mask is (small screen) business Nav or no Nav.
I meant that I have now abandoned that interface in favour of the one supplied by BMTechic.

· Registered
4,427 Posts
Ah right, it is the CCC_APP module that you need to modify. I have attached an export from NCS Dummy that shows you all the parameters in this module along with English descriptions & the various permissable settings for these parameters.

The two main ones:

Parameter: MP3_CCC
Setting: full

Parameter: CDC
Setting: aktiv

Add +IPOD to the VO for both CAS & LMA, make sure you are using the ExpertMode profile & use the "FA_WRITE" job. Any errors you get when doing the VO modify or coding change mean that the coding will not go through. If you get an error & then try again & the coding seems to go through it actually has not. I would disconnect the battery for 20 minutes after coding. The CCC doesn't like being coded, some of the DIYs that I have read suggest that you need to turn off the car for a few moments (then switch back to position 2) before you code the CCC. In fact I would disconnect the battery for 20 minutes before you start coding again.

That is exactly how my CCC is set up, my car had a MASK up to a week ago, I upgraded to a CCC then to get satellite navigation. So I've seen the difference between CCC & MASK.

Attachments

· Registered
4,427 Posts
You should not have to change the paramters after doing the VO additions. "CDC aktiv" & "MP3 CCC full" are the only two settings that need to be made for CCC, the other two parameters are related to the more basic M-ASK system (no navigation). Did you disconnect the battery for 20 minutes after making the changes?

Try this next.

· Registered
4,427 Posts
OK. The fact that it sees the CD changer means the coding is done. To use the Dension you choose CD5. The you'll see the Dension menu. I can't remember exactly but I think you need an iPod/iPhone connected to see it in the menu, same goes for the USB (USB needs music files on it).

· Registered
4,427 Posts
The Dension will show up in different guides under different CD #.
The fact that the CD Changer CDs are showing up in the iDrive it means the coding is correct. The Dension unit itself maybe faulty, I was only on to someone this morning that was telling me 3 out of 3 of the last Dension unit he tried to install were dead out of the box.
Put the picture of the CD-1 to CD-6 over on bmwcoding.com & mention that you added +IPOD in VO, they should confirm that the coding is done correctly. Mention that you do not have $672 in the VO too (if this is the case).

· Registered
4,427 Posts
Sorry, that was a typo/auto correct. I meant to say mention that you do not have $672 in the VO. The reason I say this is because it will prove that the +IPOD is responsible for the CD Changer appearing in the iDrive Entertainment menu.
When you put a CD in the single changer it should not grey out the other CD slots in the changer. At least I don't think it should, I can still access my Dension when I have a CD in the in-dash CD slot. It has been a while since I had a CD! :p

As I said I am convinced that the Dension unit if faulty, not the coding. Have you tried to do a firmware update on the dension unit?

http://www.dension.com/downloads

The reason I suggest an attempt to do a firmware update is to confirm that the Dension unit is functioning normally. If it is functioning normally then you will see the result of the firmware update on the memory stick you use to carry out the firmware update.

I am about to do a firmware update fro my own Dension 500 & here is the procedure i will use, there is a different firmware for the 500S BT but the procedure is similar:

GATEWAY 500 UPDATE PROCEDURE:
=============================

Extract the G5MB_UPD.ROM file from the update package and copy to the root of an USB
flash drive, then connect the USB drive to the Gateway 500 while it is powered. If there
is an iPod connected to Gateway, please disconnect it before you connect the USB drive (flash drive).

Update procedure will start automatically within few seconds and takes approx. 1.5 minute.
Do not disconnect the USB drive within this time. After a successful update G5MB_UPD.ROM
is deleted from the USB drive and GW_EES.BIN file will appear with the new software wersion.

When finished, it is better to restart the Head Unit and the Gateway 500.
For Mercedes and Saab cars with text capable Head Unit text mode re-configuration is
necessary as part of the firmware upgrade. Find guidelines at "TEXT configuration" knowledge
base article / http://support.dension.com/support-center/index.php?x=&mod_id=2&root=12&id=111

Now it is safe to reconnect the iPod.

For more information read Knowledge Base or please open a support ticket from our website.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts