BMW-Driver.net Forums banner
61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
OK. The fact that it sees the CD changer means the coding is done. To use the Dension you choose CD5. The you'll see the Dension menu. I can't remember exactly but I think you need an iPod/iPhone connected to see it in the menu, same goes for the USB (USB needs music files on it).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi,
I dont think so, that it would be so easy. Coz al the CD1..CD6 are greyed out. So the car still doesnt know about the Dension. When we put out the audio cd from CCC, we get that error as on previous picture:

No supported and readable medium..... bla bla

The second thing is that we are using Dension 500s BT, so the Dension should be located on CD1.

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
The Dension will show up in different guides under different CD #.
The fact that the CD Changer CDs are showing up in the iDrive it means the coding is correct. The Dension unit itself maybe faulty, I was only on to someone this morning that was telling me 3 out of 3 of the last Dension unit he tried to install were dead out of the box.
Put the picture of the CD-1 to CD-6 over on bmwcoding.com & mention that you added +IPOD in VO, they should confirm that the coding is done correctly. Mention that you do not have $672 in the VO too (if this is the case).

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Sorry, that was a typo/auto correct. I meant to say mention that you do not have $672 in the VO. The reason I say this is because it will prove that the +IPOD is responsible for the CD Changer appearing in the iDrive Entertainment menu.
When you put a CD in the single changer it should not grey out the other CD slots in the changer. At least I don't think it should, I can still access my Dension when I have a CD in the in-dash CD slot. It has been a while since I had a CD! :p

As I said I am convinced that the Dension unit if faulty, not the coding. Have you tried to do a firmware update on the dension unit?

http://www.dension.com/downloads

The reason I suggest an attempt to do a firmware update is to confirm that the Dension unit is functioning normally. If it is functioning normally then you will see the result of the firmware update on the memory stick you use to carry out the firmware update.

I am about to do a firmware update fro my own Dension 500 & here is the procedure i will use, there is a different firmware for the 500S BT but the procedure is similar:

GATEWAY 500 UPDATE PROCEDURE:
=============================

Extract the G5MB_UPD.ROM file from the update package and copy to the root of an USB
flash drive, then connect the USB drive to the Gateway 500 while it is powered. If there
is an iPod connected to Gateway, please disconnect it before you connect the USB drive (flash drive).

Update procedure will start automatically within few seconds and takes approx. 1.5 minute.
Do not disconnect the USB drive within this time. After a successful update G5MB_UPD.ROM
is deleted from the USB drive and GW_EES.BIN file will appear with the new software wersion.

When finished, it is better to restart the Head Unit and the Gateway 500.
For Mercedes and Saab cars with text capable Head Unit text mode re-configuration is
necessary as part of the firmware upgrade. Find guidelines at "TEXT configuration" knowledge
base article / http://support.dension.com/support-center/index.php?x=&mod_id=2&root=12&id=111

Now it is safe to reconnect the iPod.

For more information read Knowledge Base or please open a support ticket from our website.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi,
we have tried the Dension unit which was working on my e92 2008, but not with that e61 2005/09.

The second guy, who is installing the dension (I am just a coder :] ) was making today another e60 2006 , with CDC installed. So we thought it would be only easy plug and play. But when he unplug the CDC and plug Dension. No CD1-CD6 was visible. So he tried to connect the dual Dension and put the Dension to bypass mode. After that, the CDC was visible for car.

But when he put the Dension to active mode. CDC disappers and also no Dension was visible. So we think it some SW problem. Its the secon e6x with same behaviour. And the Dension is ok, since it worked with my car.

The another problem is, that we cant update firmware, since the 5er doesnt see the Dension :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
So we've finally found the solution. Since in the car was no other additional stuff installed like phone, BT or other, except the professional idrive. The optic circuit from CCC wasnt closed...there was no other option to connected. The cable just ended somwhere.

CCC can work without the broken optic ring..it can works completly alone. So we've made optic connection like this:

CCC out > Dension IN > Dension Out > CCC IN . Thats all. After this simple circuit. Dension was visible in iDrive. Maybe this can helps to others. Just dont give it up :)

Good luck :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
yeah.
coz incoming optic to CCC doesnt light, and outgoing yes. So when we first time tried to plug dension infront of CCC , Dension blue led goes off after while.

So we have tried to connect Dension to outgoing optic from CCC, which has light, after that, Dension led stayed blue, but not possible see it in iDrive.

The optic cables were in car. but routed probably somewhere to deadend. We dont know where. So we've made siple circle only for CCC and dension and thats it.

Since there is no other stuff to be connected.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

Following on from celticken's original problem, I have similar issues and would appreciate any suggestions. I have a 535d E61 on a late 2008 build and Feb 2009 reg. It has a M-ASK head unit of the Visteon CHAMP variety with no navigation or bluetooth or USB etc but does have cd changer prep. I'm trying to fit a Dension GW500S+BT unit.

Firstly, I'm both an electronics engineer and IT consultant and I have a lot of automotive experience (used to design engine control units for Lucas Automotive) so I'm fairly comfortable with the installation and coding processes. However, despite my best efforts so far I have been unable to get the Dension to work.

Some notes:
1. I'm using EDIABAS 7.2 build 405 with v46 Daten files and NCS Expert 3.1
2. I'm using a one-stop-electronics DCAN cable as recommended in the forums
3. I am certain the MOST bus is closed. It wasn't to begin with due to the open diags socket but I've looped that now and my iDrive radio gets glitchy if I break the MOST loop while the radio is on.
4. The process I was following was to code FA for CAS and LMA then try to do SG_CODIEREN job against MASK to force it to load new values. However I was getting COAPI-2020 (no answer from ECU) when trying either this or reading from the MASK ECU.
5. If I use revtor's profile and change A_E65MMI.ipo to A_E65MMC.ipo then I am able to execute SG_CODIEREN to MASK and the head unit restarts but I still get no joy with the Dension unit.
6. I have added $672 and $644 to FA and removed $694 CDC prep. I also tried +IPOD instead of $672 but it doesn't work either.
7. The 500S+BT is powering up and allows me to pair with it over bluetooth with my phone but there is no sound.
8. Dension dip switches are set 1,5,6 on & 2,3,4 off
9. I've tried battery disconnection (after waiting 16mins for car to sleep) twice now without success.

I've raised a support ticket with Dension but not heard back from them yet. I'm wondering if my late 2008 head unit is some sort of hybrid between E60 series and later cars.

Any suggestions would be very welcome. I have the option of going to an Autologic equipped garage and getting it coded for £50 or a BMW dealer and paying £80. I'd like to better understand which of these options is more likely to be successful as I can see pros and cons to each. At this point I'm happy to pay the money to either of them but would rather not have to try both and still potentially end up without success.

Many thanks,
Craig.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I had this coded with an Autologic machine in about 5 mins but apparently they have now removed that retrofit from the Autologic software.
Not sure how you connected the Dension in the glovebox but some people used to "break" the connector and add the Dension cable in-between.
The proper way of connecting it is to remove the glovebox, and right on top of it, there is a fibre cable (connected to a loop) which will slot right into the Dension without any additional cables, at least that was the way in my 2005 E60.
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,
Thanks for the reply. I'm probably going to take it to an Autologic installer and see if they can carry out the retrofit. I note what you say about the option being removed from the autologic unit but hopefully they can do this another way maybe. Failing that I will take it to my local BMW dealer who I have already spoken to. They said that they would give it a try even though it was a 3rd party Dension unit that was being installed. I think BMW will have the equipment to program the head unit via the MOST interface if necessary.

Regarding how I connected it, I just used the CD changer prep cable which is installed at the back of the glovebox where a CD changer would be fitted. However, I did have some problems with the MOMST loop being open and this was caused by the diagnostics socket which you are talking about. It is hidden behind a small plastic cover underneath the glovebox and it did not have the loop connector fitted. I have temporarily looped this with one of the parts supplied with the Dension until I get it working then I will tidy up the installation.

Many thanks,
Craig.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

Even though its a thread of 12yrs ago, it's still relevant for me as i'm facing a similar issue trying to integrate a Dension gateway 500s BT on a late 2007 BMW E61 /w CCC Professional. The car does not have a CDC nor CDC-Prep; so the MOST cables were not in the area behind the glove-compartment.

What i have done so far:
  • Disassemble the headunit
  • Take GND and +12VDC from X13812 (pin12 BR == GND, pin15 RT == +12VDC)
  • Connect MOST Output (X13815 pin2) to Dension input
  • Connect Dension MOST output to the cable previously connected to X13815 pin2
  • When turning on ignition at this point i can pair my phone with the Dension unit and also the car CCC find bluetooth, phone, etc...
  • When i disconnect the MOST cable from Dension then CCC finds issue's; no SOS calls, no USB drive/music found any more, etc...
  • Conclusion: MOST ring is fine including the Dension unit.
  • Then it comes to programming because as you may have guessed, the Dension doesn't show up yet... :)
  • There is no $694 (CDC Prep) in the VO (as i expected since the cable was missing)
  • Added +IPOD to the VO for CAS and LMA
  • Disconnected battery for 10min
  • Then booting CCC again but no differences, it's not showing up.
  • At this point i'm not sure if the CCC takes the +IPOD from the VO; should this happen when booting? Or is there any required programming involved to publish the VO to other modules?
  • I thought to need to add $672 (CDChanger 6CD) to VO but i keep getting COAPI-1000 when hitting "back" after adding the option. It must be conflicting with another entry but which one? There is no CD Prep option set...
  • I didn't manipulate anything on CCC_APP yet; should i?
  • Notice $644 isn't programmed since i want to keep the BT phone capabilities o/t car, therefor also dip6 is OFF; only 1 and 5 are switched on.

Any tips are welcome,
Paul

·
Registered
2 Posts
I can answer my own question since i got the Dension working:
  • Only +IPOD was required
  • The VO changes to CAS/LMA don't change the behavior of the module that depend on these changes; you need to initialize/reset those as described here: Getting Started with NCS Expert - NA M3 Forums. Basically using the expert profile (no manipulation) you need to execute SG_CODIEREN /w empty .MAN file (not used actually), this will load the module with defaults using DATEN files. I noticed CDC was added/enabled to CCC_APP for instance.
Paul

61 - 75 of 75 Posts