BMW-Driver.net Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Right then folks, dug out some old E30 Performance Car reviews. First one is from June 1990, where they compared the 318iS to the Rover 416GTi (Yeah I know, but this was when British motoring mags used to have headlines like "Brand new Montego - Still want that Merc?" :rolleyes:)

·
Ronin
8,708 Posts
was that rover that bad? Had it not a honda engine from what i remember they were pretty quick

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
was that rover that bad? Had it not a honda engine from what i remember they were pretty quick
Never did much for me really, although I have to admit I went through a phase where I quite liked the 220 Turbo Coupe. Shite build quality any I was ever in too

·
Bring Back The Queen!!
4,612 Posts
Never did much for me really, although I have to admit I went through a phase where I quite liked the 220 Turbo Coupe. Shite build quality any I was ever in too
I had a 220 tomcat turbo, seriously well spec'd car and pretty quick too, till it over heated and then the gearbox imploded:eek:

oh yeah and power steering issues

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had a 220 tomcat turbo, seriously well spec'd car and pretty quick too, till it over heated and then the gearbox imploded:eek:
Not seen one for yonks. They were a great looking car Wayne

Buddy of mine has had 9 Rovers/Austin Rovers, from a Maestro to a 420GTi. They all died a gruesome death involving overheating I think
He finally had enough and bought a Honda Prelude, but that then got nicked and burnt out

·
Bring Back The Queen!!
4,612 Posts
Not seen one for yonks. They were a great looking car Wayne

Buddy of mine has had 9 Rovers/Austin Rovers, from a Maestro to a 420GTi. They all died a gruesome death involving overheating I think
He finally had enough and bought a Honda Prelude, but that then got nicked and burnt out
the 420 gti had the twin cam rover engine which in fairness 20 years ago was a fairly good lump, if they didnt keep boiling up:eek:
the 216/416 gti used a honda non vtech twin cam iirc and the gsi and si versions used a sohc honda engine. they even sounded like civics on start up:D

yes at one stage i liked rovers:eek:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts