BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I'd take a chance and start a thread for the new ev project. As per the title it's a 1996 E31 840CI formally powered by the M62b44 v8 monster! The engine is off to a good home today thanks to Hobbs for his help with the extraction:)

I have wanted an E31 for some time now and just recently this example popped up at the right price. Body and interior are in great condition and its only covered 105k miles. Last service was at 99k miles in June '09 so looks like it had a fairly easy life but has lots of little problems indicating the previous owner probably just lost interest. Considering it costs nearly 2k euros per year for road tax and barely returns 20mpg it's not hard to see why! I suppose in one sense this is why our roads today are filled with sh1tbox cars that to be honest I am finding hard to distinguish apart anymore.

So the plan is to convert the beast to electron fuel. Not because I want to hug trees but because I want an E31 that is fun to drive and affordable to run. Last year I developed an electronic controller for the ZF 5HP series of automatics and plan to use the 5HP24 with a Siemens 150kw liquid cooled AC induction motor to provide power. The controller allows for manual and user programmable shifting. This is essential as the shift points and stragety for a motor are almost a mirror of those required by an engine.

So if your interested follow along! Hope I won't need my fire suit:D

Here is a little video intro :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56RUGSIz6Y8

Attachments

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Wow fair play to you, that's some task. So that's where that E31 ended up. That was looking very sorry for itself parked up for some time near the company factory in Cavan, glad to see it's getting a new lease of life.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the comments guys:) It should be a fun project! One of the most interesting things about the E31 is the 0.29 drag coefficient. Should mean it can go longer , faster. Always a good thing.

·
coupe dude
1,040 Posts
Nothan to say Bart that's a first... great project definitely looking forward to updates

·
Registered
52 Posts
Interesting ....but not for me.
Started watching the video and most of the start of it was focusing on the sound of the engine & exhaust - all I could think was that ain't going to be there with an electric motor....:confused2:

Unfortunately this shite country has tax rates that make a car like this unviable in it's mid life

Don't get me wrong - technically I salute you.

·
I know nothing about BMW
3,038 Posts
Damn and for a simple trade of the v8 you took out I would have given up my time and sat in the car and made engine noises for you.....I know, I know.....maybe next time you'll catch a break eh :p

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the positive comments guys:) Just a small update. I located the "TD" rpm input signal on connector X20 pin 14 and injected a 100hz 12v square wave with the signal generator. With the key on the tacho jumped up to about 1400rpm so we can now use the stock tacho to indicate motor rpm using a bit of signal conditioning. In the bad news department I seem to have an LKM problem. The side lights remain illuminated at about 1/3 brightness even with the key off and fuses pulled. I'm guessing the LKM lamp sense resistors have burned out so will pull out the LKM at the weekend and investigate.

The LED light upgrade on the E39 is working out very well so will do the same on the Panzer:)

@Venom , thanks for the offer! I could have then recorded the sound and played it back over the stereo at full blast:D

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So I pulled the LKM. Looking around ebay etc they seem to go for over e250 so I decided to have a look inside. The case was very warm to the touch even when removed from the car. Sure enough it looks like the filament sense resistors were cooked and the input bulk cap was totally dried out. I took the easy option and snipped out the sense resistors. I'll be running LED lamps anyway so they are redundant. Swaped out the input cap and refitted. Success! No more glowing parking lights:D Not totally fixed though as the pop up headlights still don't trigger on the switch and the foglights are non functional. Progress non the less!

If anyone has any info or circuit diagrams on the LKM please let me know.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
So I pulled the LKM. Looking around ebay etc they seem to go for over e250 so I decided to have a look inside. The case was very warm to the touch even when removed from the car. Sure enough it looks like the filament sense resistors were cooked and the input bulk cap was totally dried out. I took the easy option and snipped out the sense resistors. I'll be running LED lamps anyway so they are redundant. Swaped out the input cap and refitted. Success! No more glowing parking lights:D Not totally fixed though as the pop up headlights still don't trigger on the switch and the foglights are non functional. Progress non the less!

If anyone has any info or circuit diagrams on the LKM please let me know.
Do you need to bridge resisters out when you remove them?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just chopped them out to be honest. Doesn't seem to be setting an error. I'll probably do some more LKM work over the weekend and report back.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts